Should The Marketplace Be Opened Up for Everyone?

Should The Marketplace Be Opened For Everyone?

• Yes

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • No

Votes: 40 48.8%

• Total voters

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
At the moment you gotta rack up a certain number of posts and be commonly accepted to use the Marketplace.

Now some members have suggested to open up the market for everyone, which means 0-post n00bs as well as regulars and veterans.

The market restrictions were implemented after a number of problems and a lot of complaints by the members.

The situation has changed since then so let's see what you guys think.

Please vote and comment.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Voted no. You want the deals you stay and become part of the community

I certainly wouldn't buy from a zero post member unless I know them from another forum where they are established

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I don't think the idea was that brand new, 0 post members should be given access to the market the instant they register an account.

Also, does anybody really care if people join up and become part of the community? The way it seems to me, this forum collectively has chased more people out than it has accepted. From my point of view, the membership here pretty wholeheartedly views the ReTrO gAmInG community with a marked disdain, yeah?

But if some dude who registered an account here 20 years ago and has 20-something posts decides he wants to dump his Neo Geo or Mega Drive stuff, and this is the only place he knows to do it, why prevent that? Somebody who fits this exact description decided to jump on and sell a Mushi PCB earlier this very week. Obviously, the way the policy is applied is completely arbitrary.

All you have to do is look at Rot's bullshit post that was pinned once upon a time (is it still?) about how new jacks taking an interest in Neo Geo better beware 'cause this place doesn't fuck around, this and that, fuck off back to (insert other forum name here), etc., etc. to understand the hard line policy on the market.

Ajax

15 Year Member
Also, what are the conditions which a member must meet in order to gain access to the market? I don't think I've ever seen it spelled out plainly. Do you still just send an email off to neogeorot@gmail.com?

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I voted yes because I have a ton of shit to sell and don’t give 2 fucks who buys it :keke:

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Can we do a delete bacon plagiarism thread poll pls

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Also, what are the conditions which a member must meet in order to gain access to the market? I don't think I've ever seen it spelled out plainly. Do you still just send an email off to neogeorot@gmail.com?
A member must have at least 50 posts, the rest was mostly decided on a whim by Rot. Which means there is no real automatic account upgrade which makes things a bit of a PITA.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I think wife or cat or dog pics is a suitable gate keeping system

Ajax

15 Year Member
Any policy decided by Rot should be destroyed with extreme prejudice, full stop. The guy was consistently too wasted to put his trousers on correctly ffs. The half-baked, willy-nilly nature of this policy makes it a particularly great candidate to be jettisoned directly into the sun.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
most problems will be handled through social enforcement. long time members won't sell to newbs unless they want to. newbs that list things at exorbitant prices will be shat on. if a newb scams another newb, who cares? i don't think the market nor the forum, itself, will experience a comeback from this, but why not? no one really sells or buys shit on here anyway.

i'd say 0 post is a bit too lenient though. maybe a lower number just to cut our fake/dupe accounts and shit.

Ajax

15 Year Member
It's easy:

1. Paypal goods & services is mandatory to deal in the market
2. A dedicated market mod

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
I just got access, and I want all the noobs to check if Cory's meat tastes like chicken or not before they get in.

Ajax

15 Year Member
That's fair. If the seller is a noob, they're required to take payment via PP G&S, in that case.

Obviously, for people who have been around, or people you've dealt with before, Venmo or F&F is fine.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
As the most American member here, I believe in market freedom.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Any policy decided by Rot should be destroyed with extreme prejudice, full stop. The guy was consistently too wasted to put his trousers on correctly ffs. The half-baked, willy-nilly nature of this policy makes it a particularly great candidate to be jettisoned directly into the sun.
To be fair, the post-count restriction was met with mostly positive reactions back then, it was also backed by the majority of the mod team. Of course Rot added his own special flavour to it by declaring himself the master market mod, with not-so-hilarious consequences, but that's a thing of the past.

It was all about community first, marketplace second. I can still subscribe to that, even tho it's almost impossible to implement, let alone enforce. We felt that people who only come here to do business and are not interested in actually becoming a part of the community should not have unlimited market access.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Voted no.

I don't think zero post count flippers and resellers should be allowed to use the market place, and they've probably already got a half-decent platform in eBay or FBM - which we all have access to, or can get access to so you're not missing out.

I'm going to assume those who want an open marketplace so they trash threads of n00bs are generally being facetious... because if you're being serious, then I question why the fuck you're here or what it is you generally contribute to this site that is of any worth.

If the vote goes against the status quo, site is definitely going to need a marketplace mod, as all the other "rules" suggested can be circumvented.