Shitty RetroPie Cases

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
What with Nintendo discontinuing the NES Classic Mini, lots of people on the Interwebs are going the Raspberry Pi route to get their emulated retro fix. You can't just have a bare computer board sitting on the entertainment center like a neanderthal so why not throw it into a shitty homemade case! Post them up here - let's see 'em.

Congealed Mac N Cheese
Spoiler:

IMG_2895.jpgIMG_2896.jpg

PS2 Corpse
Spoiler:

IMG_2881.jpg

LameGear
Spoiler:

IMG_2882.jpg

Not Quite A NES
Spoiler:

IMG_2883.jpg

Carrybox of Woe
Spoiler:

IMG_2884 (1).jpg

Coffee Table of Crap
Spoiler:

17952656_1382287505125778_2765702380949358777_n.jpg

MrWunderful

Stakes Winner
Damn the buttons on that lame gear are tiny.

The "not quite an nes" looks to be 3d printed, actually looks kinda cool.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
More fuel for the fire

Stickertendo
Spoiler:

IMG_1456.JPG

Super Stickertendo
Spoiler:

IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG

Legendary
Spoiler:

IMG_1460.JPG

Be Kind - Rewind
Spoiler:

IMG_1459.JPG

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
No VHS tape deserves that.

... Okay, maybe a Barney & Friends tape.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
mx6800raspi1_s.jpg

ok. i like this one.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
I have mine inside a cardboard box with magnetic close, similar to this one but in white:

quality-glossy-black-cardboard-magnetic-box-folding.jpg

Y screwed the Pi to the bottom of the box, off-centered to the top-right and cut a slit in the back of the box for HDMI and Power connectors.

I taped an xbox360 wireless usb adapter to the left side. That's why the Pi is off-center to the right, so the usb plug isn't forced when connected to the Raspberry. I haven't even streched the adapter cable (it fits better inside the box if it's coiled and it makes things more organized)

When I want to carry it to a friend's house or something I just put inside the box the USB power adapter and an HDMI cable. Once there, it's just a matter of opening the box, plug the cables and sync some xbox 360 pads.

Will it win any design award? Probably not, but it's useful and way more elegant than having everything floating around.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
that lame gear doesn't even look like it would be functional. especially with fighters using normal buttons instead of a d-pad.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
A couple of those would actually be cool of they were molded instead of 3D printed.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
They make all sorts of 3D printed Rasperry Pi cases, problem is their all done on really low resolution 3D printers so you see those waves and textures lines everywhere, like these would be really cool to use if they were done on a higher resolution printer:
Spoiler:

wZ81IrU.png

NiZqKMY.png

TbWL2c8.png

They do make some semi decent molded ones, the plastic quality is cheap, but that's fine because I wouldn't splurge on a case that costs more than the pi itself:

b9rzQer.png

I just use a simple transparent case for mine personally cus I really don't care how it looks, just want function:

qwZNSj7.jpg

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
Using a lo-res printer is fine if you're going to do some sanding/finishing and not leave it looking all rough like that. I feel like those could look better, but as is they just look lazy and slapped together.

That last NES one and the X68k case are really nice looking, tho.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Clear looks great, better than the others.

I was going to say, I'm chewing on making one of these and that clear case is perfectly fine with me. If I want to look at a NES, I'll just pop one in my entertainment cabinet.

With that said, I don't understand why you wouldn't just use a donor case from an old DOA system...size issues?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I just use a simple transparent case for mine personally cus I really don't care how it looks, just want function:

qwZNSj7.jpg

Same one I use. I'm using some Retropie image that had bgm for the main menu. I deleted it all and changed it to the NES classic's BGM.

What I don't like is when people raid and destroy perfectly good or easily repairable systems to stuff RPs in. Someone gutted a SMS2 that had power issues (usually the 7805 going bad, easy fix) to stuff an RP in there. Not to mention all the NESs and PSXs, working fine mind you, being gutted. I just find that wasteful and annoying.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Same one I use. I'm using some Retropie image that had bgm for the main menu. I deleted it all and changed it to the NES classic's BGM.

What I don't like is when people raid and destroy perfectly good or easily repairable systems to stuff RPs in. Someone gutted a SMS2 that had power issues (usually the 7805 going bad, easy fix) to stuff an RP in there. Not to mention all the NESs and PSXs, working fine mind you, being gutted. I just find that wasteful and annoying.

Yeah...that is shitty. There's no more of those systems being made and although I understand that a ton of them were made, destroying one simply for a case is absurd.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There are a lot of terrible cases. I would recommend one that acts as a heatsink.
I have the FLIRC case. The housing acts as the case and as the heatsink.
Spoiler:

FLIRC - $15
FLIRC-Case-Angle.pngflirc-rpi-4.jpg

nam9

Zero's Secretary
Planning to fit a Pi into an empty ZX Spectrum case.
Kind of like this one:

il_570xN.697959470_6xbb.jpg

There is a guy in the UK making USB keyboard interfaces, so the idea is that the keyboard will be fully functional.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Can't you just smooth out 3D prints with an Acetone bath or the like? Seems unnecessary to have the rough looking parts.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Personally, I'd rather buy a cheap, nice manufactured case then have a shoddy homemade one. If you're going to make a case yourself, why not take a little pride in your work and put in that extra level of polish? Most of these cases are just missing that extra little bit of TLC craftsmanship.

The really crazy thing is that many of these builds I've been sharing have been sold by the creators for multiple hundreds of dollars a piece. The portables are popular.

Here's the daily dose of horror:

The Doghouse
Spoiler:

IMG_1461.JPG

Crap Catcher
Spoiler:

IMG_1462.JPG

Your Guts Are Showing
Spoiler:

IMG_1464.JPG

Last edited: