Shit steak. It's what's for dinner.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltren...rends/japanesescientistscreatesmeatoutoffeces

Somehow this feels like a Vonnegut plotline: population boom equals food shortage. Solution? Synthesize food from human waste matter. Absurd yes, but Japanese scientists have actually discovered a way to create edible steaks from human feces.
Mitsuyuki Ikeda, a researcher from the Okayama Laboratory, has developed steaks based on proteins from human excrement. Tokyo Sewage approached the scientist because of an overabundance of sewage mud. They asked him to explore the possible uses of the sewage and Ikeda found that the mud contained a great deal of protein because of all the bacteria.
The researchers then extracted those proteins, combined them with a reaction enhancer and put it in an exploder which created the artificial steak. The “meat” is 63% proteins, 25% carbohydrates, 3% lipids and 9% minerals. The researchers color the poop meat red with food coloring and enhance the flavor with soy protein. Initial tests have people saying it even tastes like beef.
Inhabitat notes that “the meatpacking industry causes 18 percent of our greenhouse gas emissions, mostly due to the release of methane from animals.” Livestock also consume huge amounts of resources and space in efforts to feed ourselves as well as the controversy over cruelty to animals. Ikeda’s recycled poop burger would reduce waste and emissions, not to mention obliterating Dante’s circle for gluttons.
The scientists hope to price it the same as actual meat, but at the moment the excrement steaks are ten to twenty times the price they should be thanks to the cost of research. Professor Ikeda understands the psychological barriers that need to be surmounted knowing that your food is made from human feces. They hope that once the research is complete, people will be able to overlook that ugly detail in favor of perks like environmental responsibility, cost and the fact that the meat will have fewer calories.
Waste not; want not.

I don't know what to think of this other than that I am glad to be vegetarian. Gives me an excuse not to try this.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
"They hope that once the research is complete, people will be able to overlook that ugly detail in favor of perks like environmental responsibility, cost and the fact that the meat will have fewer calories."

That is some wishful thinking.

mcdonalds-anus-pounder.png

Alc

Rugal's Thug
Initial tests have people saying it even tastes like beef.
Where the fuck did they find these people? I'll try just about any kind of food, but reprocessed human faeces is a step too far.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
No no no a thousand times no.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
I would let them reinstate slavery in America before trying this.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Maybe they should change the phrase to 'eat shit steak and die.'

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I know where they can find the perfect guy to sponsor this:

539w.jpg

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So the Pittsburgh Platter is going to be an actual meal now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The taste testers probably got high off that jenkem steak and thought it was beef.

Gigaton Chode

Zero's Tailor
I would bet money that shit-based beef substitute tastes better than the steaks you can get at Walmart. I mean, at least someone said that product tasted like beef.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Soylent Green is made of people.

Seriously though, as the population of the world spirals out of control this will be the final option. Even as we are speaking, huge swathes of the Amazon are being levelled for soy cultivation and cattle grazing.

Here's a good book on on the subject:
http://www.amazon.com/Climate-Challenge-Democracy-Politics-Environment/dp/031334504X
Loving the Liberty Boy reviews, the final day dawns.

Last edited:

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Wow, when we need to make food out of shit, we seriously need to reprioritize what is important in maintaining the world population.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
it just sounds too vile. i don't think people would ever warm to the idea of eating shit, even if its just poo proteins that have been sanitized, seasoned, colored, and assembled into steak like form. the fact that it came from poo will put people off.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
When there is no other alternative people will eat this and gladly.

There will be riots in the streets when the various governments of the world (more likely the Global Police State) cut shit steak rations.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
It's supposed to be going down in the toilet, not down in my mouth. No thanks, Japan, I'm good.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
When there is no other alternative people will eat this and gladly.

There will be riots in the streets when the various governments of the world (more likely the Global Police State) cut shit steak rations.

100% pure cambodian virgin shit steak will be the most prized of all meats.