Shenmue 3 might still come out after all

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
"Yu Suzuki, the creator of the Shenmue series, said that his studio could obtain the rights from Sega to produce Shenmue III, it seems the future story plans and details have already been done, despite the cancellation of the console and social media games."

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

I know the-magicbox is not the most trusted news site, but hey, it's Shenmue 3.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Great, here come all the 'should they or shouldn't they' debates.

Answer: of course they should.

I know the-magicbox is not the most trusted news site, but hey, it's Shenmue 3.

I've never heard anyone claim Magic Box couldn't be trusted. Wierd.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
It's no secret the story has been completed. The story was pretty much done when Shenmue 2 came out.

What you have to ask is, if it was released, would they bother localizing it?
I don't think Yu Suzuki has the funds to acquire it anyways.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'd just take it if he released a cliffnotes version of it. I was so hungry for the second game I imported the EU version because I didn't want to wait for the Xbox one to come out. I hate how the second game ends on a cliffhanger and I knew it'd be years till they continued it. Even if it's just something like an animated movie and not even a game, I'd still check it out just to see how the story ends. I know a lot of people hated the game, and I can see why. It's REALLY fucking slow in parts and the clunky voice acting didn't help it any more. I don't even think I could go back and play it again because getting through parts to earn money feels like they just put it in to make the game longer. It felt like a chore to earn enough money, train up your moves so you didn't get slaughtered in brawls and still make it home in time so you don't get bitched at.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Wasn't it meant to be far longer than just three parts though?

I believe initially, yes. But after releasing the first game, they decided to wrap it up with 3 games only.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Yeah right this game will never be released just like duke nukem forever. :p

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Wasn't it meant to be far longer than just three parts though?

I think the plan he had was to make it close to six games long. Which even for me as a fan of the series would be overkill. If you watch the footage of the game running on the Saturn they have clips of the beginning with Lan-Di and the end with the girl in China. So I wonder if he was supposed to get to China in the first game, just cut the BS with forklift racing and running the lucky hit stand.

Whenever I get a Triple I really need to pick up and play through Yakuza. I've heard nothing but good things from other Shenmue fans about it.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Whenever I get a Triple I really need to pick up and play through Yakuza. I've heard nothing but good things from other Shenmue fans about it.

Yakuza made me forget about Shenmue. It's a great series.

BatManG85

Goal! Goal! Goal!
Loved Yakuza, but ShenMue's draw was big enough to sometimes pull me away from my drunken frat parties and College Poon. THE ONLY THING.....sometimes ;)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I'm a huge fan of Yakuza, even before it suddenly became popular (about the time Yakuza 2 was announced for the US), but I wouldn't say it made me forget Shenmue.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Never gonna happen.

And 'Mue 2 was a lucky hit/plinko simulator

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
Admittedly, I’d love to see the series finished; it’s probably one of my favorite series in all of gaming, even if it is largely forgotten. The sad reality here is that even if Yu gets the rights and Sega maintains the IP, that would only be the very beginning of the process. The amount of time, money, and coordination between parties that it would take to finish the series injures the likelihood of a third game as much as any of the depressing news that’s come out of the last decade.

I can also see people greatly exaggerating the number of people who support the project. While it may seem like a large group of followers, the reality is that it’s really more a matter of how much noise they make rather than the actual number of supporters. IF the game gets made, I’m certain the number of sales will be as poor as anticipated, and that’s coming from a fan.