sengoku over sengoku 3

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
At least in 3 the characters play differently. In 1 and 2 the two characters play exactly the same.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The first Sengoku is crap. Probably it's better than Burning Fight, which isn't saying much.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
sengoku 3 is really fun for the first 30 min. then its just monotonous painfully long quarter munching.

mookie3three

Mr. Big's Thug
I've never played 2 or 3 but I have the first one and it's crap. I've played through it once but never again. Burning Fight isn't much better.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
say what? no way Burning Fight is worth that much! I got my MVS cart for $20!! maybe the AES version is the expensive one?

Sorry, I was talking about the AES. What used to be bottom of the barrel shit games are now pushing $200 a pop. *mind blown*

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't like how you have to stop attacking to change directions in Sengoku 3. Kinda kills it for me. Still better than the first IMHO.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
In Sengoku 1, are there any effective and repeatable strategies for dealing with enemy samurai, that doesn't involve weapon pickups or character swapping? That's the biggest hurdle to me continuing to enjoy the game.

A while back it was the beatemup of the month over on the Arcade forum, and unfortunately nobody came up with a solution besides switching to the sword guy or using a 2-handed sword pickup. So really, if anyone has something that works and doesn't rely on luck, by all means share.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
why is Sengoku 2 so blasted rare and expensive?

It isn't rare, people just hold onto it.

For me Sengoku 2 > 1 > 3

Sengoku 3 has pacing issues, takes too long to kill regular enemies and makes it so taxing to get to the end of the level. If anyone wants to try out smkdan's quick and dirty hack to make the pacing like Final Fight let me know. It's just a quick hack that gives the characters about 2.5-3x damage, since its a quick hack he didn't change the health of the bosses so they die pretty quick, it was more just a test for the normal enemies.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

For me Sengoku 2 > 1 > 3

Sengoku 3 has pacing issues, takes too long to kill regular enemies and makes it so taxing to get to the end of the level. If anyone wants to try out smkdan's quick and dirty hack to make the pacing like Final Fight let me know. It's just a quick hack that gives the characters about 2.5-3x damage, since its a quick hack he didn't change the health of the bosses so they die pretty quick, it was more just a test for the normal enemies.

Interested, which ROMs need to be replaced to test this?

Thanks!!

CMS

Previously A04_msh.
This sounds interesting. I think the game takes way too long to complete...

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

For me Sengoku 2 > 1 > 3

Same here. Sengoku 3 isn't a bad game but I much rather play the 1st or 2nd one.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Too bad we never got a sengoku x, for the obligatory 2 > x.

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
I only played Sengoku 1 and 2, but i'm definitely going to buy the 3rd one for MVS. The combo system seems really deep and i like the sprites, even though there's not much variety in them. I like Sengoku 2 a little bit more then the first one but it just gives you so much choices yet doesn't give you any incentive to do so. Why switch characters if you can just as well stay normal.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
3 all the way to the fucking top. My only problem with 3 is the midgets, their hitpoint is so low that it turns them parts into a fuck fest with little chance to crowd control things proper with juggles and fluid combos.

I like all sengokus, 1 and 2 are awesome for what they are, no doubt. I even like the funky designs and extravagant atmosphere but 3 is more akin to my taste.

I like to play sengoku 3 like KOV and gladiator, I feel this was the evolution of brawlers in the arcade environment, then it died. Hard to find true brawlers after that but thankfully we got plenty of a back catalogue to choose from.