Senate Chooses Japanese Garden over AIDS Treatment

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
Some of you folks have probably heard of the Bridge to Nowhere, a $223M project that will build a bridge nearly the length of the Golden Gate to connect Ketchikan (Pop ~8000) to Gravina Island (Pop 50). The government could buy every resident on Gravina a private jet for cheaper. There is currently a ferry which connects these two areas (which numerous residents have said is quite sufficient).

So, Senator Coburn introduces a porkbusting amendment that would cancel the Bridge to Nowhere and Don Young Way and use that $454 for New Orleans reconstruction. How did the voting end up? Failed, 15-82. Voting yes:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2005/10/20/172146/11

Burr (R-NC) Chafee (R-RI) Coburn (R-OK) Cornyn (R-TX) Dayton (D-MN) DeWine (R-OH) Ensign (R-NV) Feingold (D-WI) Grassley (R-IA) Lugar (R-IN) McCain (R-AZ) Smith (R-OR) Stabenow (D-MI) Wyden (D-OR)

Similarly, an earlier Coburn amendment sought to revoke $1.5M in pork projects in Rhode Island, Washington State, and Nebraska was, again, rejected. Voting yes:

George Allen (R-VA) Richard Burr (R-NC) Tom Coburn (R-OK) Jim DeMint (R-SC) John Ensign (R-NV) Russ Feingold (D-WI) Lindsey Graham (R-SC) Chuck Hagel (R-NE) Jon Kyl (R-AZ) McCain (R-AZ) Jeff Sessions (R-AL) John Sununu (R-NH) Jim Talent (R-MO)

Now, Congress is using CDC money to fund Japanese gardens over AIDS treatment:

http://tapscottscopydesk.blogspot.com/2005/10/porkbusters-update-people-dying-of.html

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK, and Sen. Arlen Specter, R-PA, engaged in a dialogue on the Senate floor earlier this week regarding the former's amendment to transfer $60 million previously appropriated for a Japanese garden at an Atlanta federal building to the AIDS Drug Assistance Program. Their exchange provides a vivid demonstration of the warped priorities encouraged by pork barrel culture in Congress.

Last edited:

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Seems perfectly reasonable. Japanese gardens contain the cure to AIDS.

Don't tell me you went suddenly bleeding heart liberal on all of us, when did you start caring about AIDS-afflicted individuals.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Good job, I voted for Coburn.

Does that make me a faggy liberal?

Ely13

Sultan of Slugs
bokmeow said:
Don't tell me you went suddenly bleeding heart liberal on all of us, when did you start caring about AIDS-afflicted individuals.
Believe it or not, there are people who don't agree with every accepted party-line value of a single political party :)

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Stinky-Dinkins said:
I'd rather have a Japanese Garden than AIDS too.

We already have one at my school. :chimp:

aria

Former Moderator
Ely13 said:
to transfer $60 million previously appropriated for a Japanese garden at an Atlanta federal building to the AIDS Drug Assistance Program. T

For that much money the garden better be made from real Japanese whatever: rocks, neo-geo games, people, etc.

Heck, I'd do it for a cool $1m. All I need are some big rocks, a ton of small rocks, some concrete to cordon off the area, some moss, some bamboo to create a natural wall, a stone garden pagoda or two, and a rake. I'll even hire a genuine Japanese guy to watch me do it and give input. :p

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Heh. Last I checked AIDS was a cure for faggots anyway. Liberal faggots.

Nip Rock garden =/= AIDS cure

Faggots - AIDS cure = Dead faggots

:. Rock Garden = Dead faggots

Once again, the senate is acting out the will of our LORD. Do the math, you godless faggots.

aria

Former Moderator
Sp0o/\/?! said:

Once again, the senate is acting out the will of our LORD. Do the math, you godless faggots.

Right, nutball. Settle down.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Sp0o/\/?! said:

Wow, someone had their warm glass of idiot juice with a dash of insecurity this morning. It's funny, when I look around here you're the only faggot I see on these boards at the moment. Welcome to my ignore list.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Sp0o/\/?! said:

Whoa

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
The senate is full of anime watching wasians.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
A rock garden is a good AIDS treatment folks.

You bring the AIDS patients to the garden.

Then you pick up a nice old big rock and bludgeon them to death with it.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
DangerousK said:

Watch out! Save for you I think everyone in this thread has a broken sarcasm detector.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
DangerousK said:

Genius.

aria

Former Moderator
Sp0o/\/?! said:
Watch out! Save for you I think everyone in this thread has a broken sarcasm detector.

No, you suck at sarcasm. :p

Remember, you can't just type something on the internet and expect people to guess your tone. You actually have to leave subtle hints in your writing style, like neobuyer. If you try to play it to hard to break through the sarcasm barrier and enter the "wtf-zone"

melchia

Franco's Trainer
Ely13 said:
Some of you folks have probably heard of the Bridge to Nowhere, a $223M project that will build a bridge nearly the length of the Golden Gate to connect Ketchikan (Pop ~8000) to Gravina Island (Pop 50). The government could buy every resident on Gravina a private jet for cheaper. There is currently a ferry which connects these two areas (which numerous residents have said is quite sufficient).

So, Senator Coburn introduces a porkbusting amendment that would cancel the Bridge to Nowhere and Don Young Way and use that $454 for New Orleans reconstruction. How did the voting end up? Failed, 15-82. Voting yes:

Burr (R-NC) Chafee (R-RI) Coburn (R-OK) Cornyn (R-TX) Dayton (D-MN) DeWine (R-OH) Ensign (R-NV) Feingold (D-WI) Grassley (R-IA) Lugar (R-IN) McCain (R-AZ) Smith (R-OR) Stabenow (D-MI) Wyden (D-OR)

Similarly, an earlier Coburn amendment sought to revoke $1.5M in pork projects in Rhode Island, Washington State, and Nebraska was, again, rejected. Voting yes:

George Allen (R-VA) Richard Burr (R-NC) Tom Coburn (R-OK) Jim DeMint (R-SC) John Ensign (R-NV) Russ Feingold (D-WI) Lindsey Graham (R-SC) Chuck Hagel (R-NE) Jon Kyl (R-AZ) McCain (R-AZ) Jeff Sessions (R-AL) John Sununu (R-NH) Jim Talent (R-MO)

Now, Congress is using CDC money to fund Japanese gardens over AIDS treatment:

http://tapscottscopydesk.blogspot.com/2005/10/porkbusters-update-people-dying-of.html

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-OK, and Sen. Arlen Specter, R-PA, engaged in a dialogue on the Senate floor earlier this week regarding the former's amendment to transfer $60 million previously appropriated for a Japanese garden at an Atlanta federal building to the AIDS Drug Assistance Program. Their exchange provides a vivid demonstration of the warped priorities encouraged by pork barrel culture in Congress.

I visited those sites, but I can't find the specific names of the amendments. It simply lists each of them as a "Coburn Amendment." Do you know the specific name of the bills that are being referred to or the dates they were voted on? I'd like to read the actual bills themselves before forming an opinion one way or the other.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ely13 said:

Man Don't I just Love Bi-Partisan Efforts.