SEGA Mega Drive 2 mini + Mega CD

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Japan making out with the better deal here, clearly. Still shocked no Snatcher. Man, really wish those WD titles could've made it over here. Still buying this though. Anyone figure out how we gaijin can get the damn little CDRom model thingy to go with?

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The final lists are good but hugely disappointing in the context of what could have been.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
The final lists are good but hugely disappointing in the context of what could have been.

No joke. I expected the US version to drop the ball on the CD titles, but not to the extent they did. The lineup reflects the current state of retro licensees on other platforms like the Switch Online games, overpriced cart reissues, and previous mini consoles. Seems like there's about a half dozen different companies left that license out their titles and those are all you ever see. The developer tweet about most of the employees working on the machine are new hires and greenhorns doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

The Space Harrier I & II thing looks cool but loses some of it's impact being that the 32x version of the original already exists. Fingers crossed it's something that can be ripped out and played on real hardware but I kinda doubt it.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Disappointed no lunars or popful mail dunno if it's true.I've heard soj offer a flat fee to victor lrelend but he decline wanting more for the royalties.Still,even with it's smaller run for the u.s version i doubt i'll buy one unless a hack comes out.For that matter i think id rather have the mister over it.To it's credit it's great the u.s version will have fatal fury 2 and crusader of centy.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Ha! I don’t buy that story. What position would Vic be in to turn down any amount of money for 30 year old games? How long can you live off work you did half a lifetime ago? He’s not Bruce Springsteen, all he did was translate a game that was already made completely without him. If they were offering him $100 he should have taken it. There are easily hundreds of people who worked on these games that aren’t being paid and never again will be.

I think the games list is fine with or without Fatal Fury 2, a useless port of a nearly useless game.

Comparisons to Mister make no sense. They are not competing products.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Glad they added Shadow Dancer. I love that game. Even better that the Arcade version.
Yeah, same. It's one I pop in regularly since it came out. Never gets old.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Ha! I don’t buy that story. What position would Vic be in to turn down any amount of money for 30 year old games? How long can you live off work you did half a lifetime ago? He’s not Bruce Springsteen, all he did was translate a game that was already made completely without him. If they were offering him $100 he should have taken it. There are easily hundreds of people who worked on these games that aren’t being paid and never again will be.

I think the games list is fine with or without Fatal Fury 2, a useless port of a nearly useless game.

Comparisons to Mister make no sense. They are not competing products.
Mister since runs plenty of various systems while the mega drive mini II is just one via emulation.Hence why i'm still debating if i should even bother with the genesis mini II or look into a mister finally for another way to play genesis/segacd games on a hdtv.By the way,i enjoy fatal fury 2 more on the genesis more compare to the neo-geo original just for how,takara tweaked it.For the whole situation on popful mail and both lunar games who's to blame ? Sega for just offering a flat rate on third party games or victor ireland,wanting more on the royalties if that is the case.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
For the whole situation on popful mail and both lunar games who's to blame ? Sega for just offering a flat rate on third party games or victor ireland,wanting more on the royalties if that is the case.
Victor Ireland is always to blame. He certainly doesn't deserve a premium for his pompous gameplay changes and infantile pop culture localizations.

The one I'm more curious about is whom to blame for the lack of Konami representation.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Victor Ireland is always to blame. He certainly doesn't deserve a premium for his pompous gameplay changes and infantile pop culture localizations.

The one I'm more curious about is whom to blame for the lack of Konami representation.
Snatcher missing on this is a crime

Tron

Test
15 Year Member

Most likely then again i wouldn't be surprise if victor still has a grudge still towards soa going back to the days of the saturn.Konami,who knows they didn't have a problem for the licensing deals on the original mini.

Crazy to this day how rocket knight adventures and snatcher still haven't got a official release again.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Very nice lineup of games for all regions, the people responsible for compiling the lists really knew what they were doing, given the usual licensing constraints. There are a few specials and enhanced titles I would like to give a try, like Space Harrier II with higher speed and smooth scrolling, Midnight Resistance, VS Puyo Puyo Sun and Super Locomotive, the other games I already own or don't care for.

Struggling with meself whether to buy or not to buy, tending to not to buy at the moment because the few games I wanna play don't really justify getting the thing, maybe there will be some other way to play the specials in the future.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Easily in my top five for the system and my favorite of the series.
I bought it on release over here, it's also my fav of the series, they bravely went past the arcade original and added a ton of cool stuff that makes the game really special, it's much more arcade-ish than the first and third one and I really love that. Part 3 seems to be ppls' fav at the moment but IMO it suffers a bit from the Slug 3 problem, stages are a bit drawn-out and it lacks the arcade style of Shadow Dancer.

Btw., if you want a SD game true to the arcade you gotta give the SMS version a try. It's not very good looking and difficulty is way up there but it follows the arcade game 100% while the Genny version is almost a new game in itself which still has all the great elements of the original but adds way more cool stuff to it which IMO makes it a must-own for the Genny. If it isn't in the vg hall of fame already, it defo should be there.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Very interesting but with my modded Genesis 3 and Mega SD, I don't need it.

Like roker said it would just sit on shelf.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I like Ninja Warriors on Mega CD, I take it as a slightly updated version of the arcade hit Kung Fu Master which I loved a lot.

But yeah, fuck the collector prices. I got my JPN copy for €25 in the early 2000s when nobody cared for MCD games anymore, so there. You could also download a backup.

The super widescreen setup of the arcade game is little more than a gimmick, the port works well without it. I mean, the Darius games were super widescreen as well but I never really missed that in the home ports.

All in all, the games selection of the new machine is quite good I would say.
have you ever played the cab?