Sega Master System Appreciation thread

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I mean, should this thread exist? I never really gave it a shot until recently with my Mega Everdrive.

I can't play the SG-1000 games, but most everything is available.

List of games that were pretty good:

Power Strike 1 & 2
Sonic 1 (love the music)
Sonic 2
Master of Darkness
Rastan
Govelius
Black Belt
Wonder Boy stuff
Ys

.... ummmmm that's about it.

I've been playing through it and although there's some fun to be had, nothing really makes me say "MUST HAVE" (edit: maybe Alex Kid in Shinobi World)

Anything else out there that might blow my mind?

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Psycho Fox and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World are pretty solid. The R-Type port was good for the time.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Psycho Fox and Alex Kidd in Shinobi World are pretty solid. The R-Type port was good for the time.

Oh snap! Yeah. Meant to put shinobi world in there. In fact that's as close to a must have imo that you can get for the system.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Spell Caster and Lord of the Sword are guilty pleasures (probably nostalgia). Spell Caster is Mystic Defender's prequel.

Golden Axe Warrior seemed interesting. Haven't gotten to play it though.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Golden Axe Warrior is a pretty good Zelda 1 clone.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Kenseiden

R Type is really really good, flicker aside. Not quite PCE but still impressive

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
The Sonic, Alex Kidd & Wonder Boy games are great.
2 PAL exclusives you need to play: Asterix & Ninja Gaiden
Golden Axe Warrior is one of the best Zelda clones available.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Power Strike II.
Power Strike II.

Jawn is so nice, I typed it twice!

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
I really thought the 3D glasses worked well and had a ton of fun with some of those games. The one where you shoot down missiles was pretty great.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
Choplifter is one of the best games of all time.

Golden Axe Warrior is a great Zelda clone with one near fatal flaw, the lack of buttons means you can only have one action item equipped at a time so you're constantly bringing up the menu to switch items similar to Link's Awakening.

Castle of Illusion is actually better than the Genesis version and a true hidden gem.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Master system had a bunch of good light gun games. The Light Phaser is quite accurate and supports tracking (a little) eg. you can shoot a burst shot and move the gun to spray shots in Rambo. You can also use 2 Light Phasers at the same time. I've never done this yet though.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Was my first console when I was around 9, so I have fond memories of it, though even back then it wasn't amazing. But I loved Kenseiden and feel that it's still a decent romp today. My first taste of scrolling fighting games via Double Dragon

There was more I'm sure but don't remember right now. When the md came out that's when things got good.

Edit: just realised that the pic I have as my avatar is of the Kenseiden title screen.
I'm shtoned
Maybe r
.............o
................t
should try lighting up a churrito from time to time.
Just sain

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Master system had a bunch of good light gun games. The Light Phaser is quite accurate and supports tracking (a little) eg. you can shoot a burst shot and move the gun to spray shots in Rambo. You can also use 2 Light Phasers at the same time. I've never done this yet though.

edit: said some bullshit here but yeah you can have the light phaser be much more accurate than a NES zapper, but I'm not sure if because the zapper/phaser have different hardware or is just the Master System having better CPU/timers to track the lightgun.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Obligatory Phantasy Star mention, though I played the Switch version and imagine the OG being hectic without the additional improvements.

Wonder Boy 3 is also probably my top 8-bit game (top 3 for sure).

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
It's pretty simple, but I've always had a soft spot for Astro Warrior, which has a bit of a Star Soldier vibe. The Micro Machines game that got released in PAL regions is a good time as well. Also, because I'm a sucker for golf games, I really enjoy Putt and Putter.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Obligatory Phantasy Star mention, though I played the Switch version and imagine the OG being hectic without the additional improvements.

Not really. The only real tip for that game is maps - use them or make them, because you WILL need them.

-SD-

Camel Slug
The Master System was a great console, most of my mates had that over an NES, unless they were rocking C64s or Amigas.

I prefer the MS version of the first Sonic over the Megadrive game, and Alien 3 is fucking brilliant. Psycho Fox is a fantastic little platformer too.

I had an NES myself, so I actually have fonder memories of getting my Game Gear along with Castle of Illusion and GG Shinobi.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
Govellius, Golden Axe Warrior, Choplifter, and R-Type are some of my favs. I actually have a fairly large collection of Master System games. I have a little over half of the US library. It's definitely a system that deserves more praise than it gets. I really like the color palette used in a lot of the games.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
I know it's a commercial non-starter, but I so wish we could get a Master System Mini/Classic, especially with some of the late PAL GG ports.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I played through Ninja Gaiden a few months back. I didn’t realize it but I accidentally activated the infinite lives glitch lol. Makes the game way easier than its NES counter parts but still really good

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Disney's Aladdin. It's completely different than the SNES and Genesis games. Short, easy, but fun.