Sega Master & Genesis / MD 1CC thread

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I struggle with the MD/GEN version of Strider even on normal mode.

To answer your question on how to "get good", I don't know.

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I struggle with the MD/GEN version of Strider even on normal mode.

To answer your question on how to "get good", I don't know.

I 1cc'd Strider on Hard last week (JP version but I'm not sure there's any differences between the two?) and I only could do it by playing level 1 to 4 without losing a life and grabbing the hidden 1-up on Level 2. Then it was a struggle not to lose lives unnecessarily on the second and third checkpoints on the final level, I think it's possible not to lose lives on those parts but you need godlike concentration, otherwise you'll at best use one life on each section like I did.

Wall of text strategy guide incoming (and yes I'm typing this out because I was too dumb to record my 1cc and upload the video instead):

Spoiler:

You take a mandatory hit on the 2nd checkpoint machinegunner, use the invincibility time to kill him AND go away before the drones that spawn close to him touch you, jump on the grey "vines" (?) to kill the spear/missile bot which usually means another unavoidable hit (there's no way to approach him other than through the front while struggling with the awful vine physics not to fall off and waste the hit invincibility), then you kill the tan robot or make it move out of the way to climb to Checkpoint 3, while hoping the column of small drones that spawn next to it doesn't eat your lunch.

On the next checkpoint (the antigrav part) you just do your usual thing, but you take the "ceiling" path since a drone column will spawn while you're climbing the floor and make you fall towards the ceiling opening and die. Time the jump correctly to not get hit by spikes on the floor, and crouch: for some reason in this part only those fucking drones have poor aim and miss your hitbox by a pixel, just rapid press B to kill the approaching drones. After that go to the edge of the second jump, the horizontal spike will retract, go back to the middle of the slope you're standing in, and when the spike comes back again to his full horizontal extension, jump, immediately crouch, turn left and mash B to kill the sole drone that the dickhead programmers spawn on purpose to make you get hit and not make the jump if you don't follow exactly what I just said. After killing the drone, walk all the way to the right, wait for the lower spike to start moving then jump on it (without actually touching the tip horizontally or you'll get hit and fall off again). Get ready to kill a column of three drones, you can't just stand in the same spot otherwise you'll make contact with one of them and lose health. Now it gets complicated... I find the next spike pattern too hard because of having the joy of having to not get hit by horizontal and vertical spikes, I just get hit on purpose then climb on the floor as fast as I can and enter the Core boss room while exploiting the hit invincibility frames. Mind you, if you don't do this you have to time your jump through the spikes AND deal with another column of shithead drones.

Ok, you got to the next checkpoint inside the boss room! Great. You'll probably lose a life since the dickhead drones will keep spawning into the room until you die and load inside the boss room. After that there's no further complications, you just kill the core with your known strategy, kill the laser beam thing, proceed to the roboape battle and jump on the commie comissar centipede, that's not too hard to do without losing a life. If you have two hitpoints left you can also beat Meio without losing a life, just climb to the top of the satellite tower thing, inevitably get hit, then jump on the right uhh... thing which has a full health pickup. Eat that, let Meio get close and use the slopey properties of the platform to stand in a spot, mash B and win the game. Congratulations you just wasted your time on a short 1cc, just like me! Enjoy the loss of valuable time.

Personally I'd just say avoid Hard mode since Normal doesn't have bullshit drones out of the ass and gives you way more powerups, or just go play the Arcade version.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I 1cc'd Strider on Hard last week (JP version but I'm not sure there's any differences between the two?)

IIRC continues are only available through a cheat on the jpn. version, while the western releases have them enabled on default. So yeah, playing the jpn. Strider can count as more difficult.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Last week I finished Mega Turrican. Might have been like 25 years since last time. Damn, this game is sooooo goood. :buttrock:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Last week I finished Mega Turrican. Might have been like 25 years since last time. Damn, this game is sooooo goood. :buttrock:

+1

I like it more than both SNES Turrican games. Hülsbeck's FM skills are only matched by those of Yuzo Koshiro and Genesis' resolution makes MT's graphics look very arcady. The only other Turrican-style game game I like equally as much as Mega is Rendering Ranger. Once you look through its ridiculous-price-tag facade, you'll discover nothing less but a masterpiece. It feels like a long lost Neo Geo game, which by accident, only exists in the form of an SNES port.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Wall of text strategy guide incoming (and yes I'm typing this out because I was too dumb to record my 1cc and upload the video instead):

A wall of text can be more valuable than a video (game and author depending of course).

Also, congrats!

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
A wall of text can be more valuable than a video (game and author depending of course).

Also, congrats!

Absolutely, it’s one of the things I love about the shmups boards is the strategy threads for games. There’s a lot of little details that can really help but are easy to not pick up on in video.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
+1

I like it more than both SNES Turrican games. Hülsbeck's FM skills are only matched by those of Yuzo Koshiro and Genesis' resolution makes MT's graphics look very arcady. The only other Turrican-style game game I like equally as much as Mega is Rendering Ranger. Once you look through its ridiculous-price-tag facade, you'll discover nothing less but a masterpiece. It feels like a long lost Neo Geo game, which by accident, only exists in the form of an SNES port.

Huelsbeck is godly on Mega Turrican. I prefer the rendition of the sound on this version than the Amiga one. And that Paula chip is killer. Tells a lot of his work.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Finished Socket (Time Dominator 1st) on one credit. An ok-ish game, but very lousy programmed. It's about speed, yet, as soon as you go faster, it feels like 12.5 fps. Vertical scrolling seems locked at 30 frames, you'll only get 60 if you tiptoe horizontally. In later levels while being under water, everything becomes extreme slow-motion, at times, you can hardly distinguish it from standstill – there was no 50Hz PAL version for a reason, I guess. Technical shortcomings aside, I wouldn't bother to play it a second time anyway, the end sequence was nice, though.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Got these two Genesis games done over last few weeks.

Ghouls n Ghosts (professional mode)

Super Thunder Blade : This game was a fucking nightmare to 1cc, well for me anyway.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Got these two Genesis games done over last few weeks.

Ghouls n Ghosts (professional mode)

Super Thunder Blade : This game was a fucking nightmare to 1cc, well for me anyway.
That G'n'G clear is very nice but Super Thunder Blade steels the show. Wow! I love super scalers even in their ugliest incarnations, with Space Harrier II being one of my faves. Respect my friend. It's a damn shame Thunder Blade never got a Sega Ages 2000 release on the PS2. The Galaxy Force II package is awesome, though you'll have to play the Mega Drive version on a cart to enjoy the godly soundtrack. By the way, the best Thunder Blade port I played was on the Sharp X68000. Haha, you really took the cake with this one, now I'll have to try to beat STB, too.

MCF 76

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
That G'n'G clear is very nice but Super Thunder Blade steels the show. Wow! I love super scalers even in their ugliest incarnations, with Space Harrier II being one of my faves. Respect my friend. It's a damn shame Thunder Blade never got a Sega Ages 2000 release on the PS2. The Galaxy Force II package is awesome, though you'll have to play the Mega Drive version on a cart to enjoy the godly soundtrack. By the way, the best Thunder Blade port I played was on the Sharp X68000. Haha, you really took the cake with this one, now I'll have to try to beat STB, too.

Thanks O.C.!

I really have nostalgia goggles for the Genesis launch titles even though some were pretty shitty. Space Harrier 2 is one of my top 5 favorite Genesis games. When I got my Genesis for my birthday back in '89 I got Space Harrier 2 along with it. I have the first Thunder Blade on SMS but after all the time on STB I'm done looking at it for a long time.

If you try a run at it I'm telling you on the 3d stages especially stage 2 & 4 use the stop button to take out enemies from a far before advancing. That is imo the only way through these stages. Omg stage 4 3d part took me forever because I inched forward & stopped to take out the tanks & those annoying ass hiding helicopters. If you get to close their shot speed will nail you in a instant. What I had to do on parts where they were hiding behind pipe lines was stay stopped but keep circling screen wait for them to shoot. Then quickly advance over pipes & take them out and hope a fucking tank in distance doesn't cheap shot you.

I had no idea what I was getting into on this game. There would be no way I could beat those stages without stopping the chopper. If someone has more power to them. Stage 3 is the easiest to clear without losing a life.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Thanks O.C.!

I really have nostalgia goggles for the Genesis launch titles even though some were pretty shitty.
We're on the same page with this questionable admiration, though I must admit, that I have a soft spot for launch titles in general when it comes to 16-bit consoles. Your strategic approach is excellent by the way. It's just you and the CPU out there and its every which way but loose. The satisfaction you get, when you're able to discover a way to exploit cheap programming is one of a kind.