Sega CD advice

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
So I have been unloading my retro games, and I'm going to everdrives, for all the systems I can. Mostly so I can focus on my setup and mvs games. I have an brand new unfinished basement, and can't wait to get started on my game room/ manchild cave. Unloading old carts is like free gold, but I started looking at some of my other stuff recently. Mainly Sega CD. This is the only system I went full collectard on, perfect cases, manuals, disks, you get the point. My favorite game is on the system, Lunar Eternal Blue. Have had my original copy since release. The two Lunars, are the only SCD games I won't sell. But what should I do with the rest? I do like some of the games, and would like play copies for them. I have thought about burning them, but I heard somewhere that burnt cds are not good for the system, any thoughts here? What do you guys think about keeping the disk and selling the case and artwork? Lastly, the shelf queen in me likes the way they look on the shelf, and doesn't want to sell any of them. I hate that bitch. What are your opinions? Keep in mind the point is the kick ass room, and games like Kieo, Snatcher, and Space Adventure can add a lot to the mix, wether it's money for the budget, or game weenie bling showpieces.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
I wouldn't keep the discs and sell the cases/manuals if I were you. Either keep them or sell them, but don't split them up. Seems like you've already made up your mind that you want to keep them, which you should if you still get enjoyment from playing them.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
tighecg, I made a cdr copy of Snatcher before I sold my copy here years ago. As long as you keep cdr in a good cd storage case then I don't think there's any problem, as least mine is still playable 12 years later.

Keep in mind Sega CD is made in early 90s so many of my friends suggest to burn cd using lowest burning speed as possible (like 1X or 2X).
Not really sure if it's true but that's what I did.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You should probably keep the SCD stuff for now.

The general thought is the laser has to work harder for burned CD's. The laser doesnt really do any work, but the lens does have to focus. You are more likely to get a dead laser due to age, than to cause issues with CDR's.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
After careful analysis, I recommend that you sell me your copy of Keio for what you paid for it :keke:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If you have complete games...keep them complete.

If you want to shed them but think there might be a chance you will want to play them again in the future, burn copies and sell the originals.

I used CD-Rs on my Laseractive, Gen 1 and 2 Sega CD, X'EYE, and to different Duo R units...not a one of them took a dump on me or had any problems. I spend hours with Snatcher on the Sega CD and Dracula X on the Duo...again, no problems.

Possibly they are harder on the system, who knows. Me? Never had a single issue.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
After careful analysis, I recommend that you sell me your copy of Keio for what you paid for it :keke:

Are you talking to me or tighecg?
I thought you got US version already?

Last edited:

Cg591

Rugal's Thug
I recently sold off my entire collection on eBay to fund some other stuff.
I love the sega CD shooters and do miss having the great titles like Keio ,Robo Aleste, Android Assault, and Lords of Thunder.
If you want to compromise keep your top 5 or 6 games and sell the rest.
That's what I kinda wish I would have done.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Unless you really need the money, I would advise against selling. You may regret it down the road, and repurchasing those games would cost a fortune in the current market.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I've seen whole Sega CD collection get hit with disc rot because of an apartments temperature changes. That optical media is getting really old. I'd get out while you can and buy yourself an older external CDR drive and a pack of Taiyo Silvers.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
If you want to sell them back them up first, you could also play them via emulation.
I use neogenesis on my ogxbox and it's pretty flawless TBH, play's MD/genesis, 32X and megacd, it even let's you play megacd discs (original and backup) on an ogxbox, it really is a wicked little emu.
I'm with LS on burn speeds as well, slower the better for the older systems, ideally have an old IDE burner just for the lower burn speeds and like DZ said use taiyo yuden, or verbs if you can't get taiyo's. I've used copied games on 3DO, mega cd, saturn and ps1 and not had laser problems, maybe i've been lucky ???

Ray

New Challenger
Disc rot seems to depend mostly on manufacturing quality and storage conditions. My 20 or so PC Engine CD games are all in great condition, despite some of them being well over 25 years old. I have however seen a few Dreamcast GD-ROMs bite the dust to disc rot, they seem a lot more vulnerable.

like DZ said use taiyo yuden, or verbs if you can't get taiyo's.
Do watch out with Verbatim, they seem to have switched over to crappy CMC Magnetics with a lot of their CD packs. Taiyo Yuden is still the CD-R mark of quality.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Are you talking to me or tighecg?
I thought you got US version already?

I am talking to anyone willing to part with Keio for a non-rape price :D

Never found it, man. Kinda gave up in despair.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Taiyo Yuden is still the CD-R mark of quality.

100% agree, my only problem with taiyo's is i can only get them on the netz, no chance over here in the uk of popping into a store and getting them, i've never found them in maplins or pc world, so if i need discs in a hurry it's verbs.

Cg591

Rugal's Thug
Disc rot seems to depend mostly on manufacturing quality and storage conditions. My 20 or so PC Engine CD games are all in great condition, despite some of them being well over 25 years old. I have however seen a few Dreamcast GD-ROMs bite the dust to disc rot, they seem a lot more vulnerable.

Do watch out with Verbatim, they seem to have switched over to crappy CMC Magnetics with a lot of their CD packs. Taiyo Yuden is still the CD-R mark of quality.

I've actually seen issues with a couple Turbo Duo games I've had but never Sega CD

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
Sega CD is also one of my Fav systems. I advise against selling it off.

If you decide to sell it, I would't worry too much about backing up the games. There's tons of "backups" all over the internet...:smirk:

On the other side of the coin, you may want to sell some of the more expensive games now that the market is good.

Last edited:

fake

15 Year Member
Can anyone think of a scenario when / where vintage games will drop in value?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
On the other side of the coin, you may want to sell some of the more expensive games now that the market is good.

This is why I shed so much of my stuff.

A member here works for a brick and mortar re-seller down south. With prices being so high, I was able to work out a deal on a very large lot of items for a price I could live with. I could have made more...if I really wanted to take the time to sell every item one at a time...which I don't.

This goes slightly off topic...but my gaming days are waning. I don't play very often anymore and when I do...it's a select few games I really want to get into. This is why I sold of all of my Sega CD stuff, if I have a rare hour or two to game...I'm not going to dick with hooking up a Sega CD.

On a long enough time scale? Sure, they will. Especially the current high dollar, but not overly rare items. It will get to the point where kids in their 20's won't even know (or care) about video games of the 80's/90's.

Talk to the average 19 year old now...see how much they give a shit about a NES cart made in 1988.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Atari 2600 stuff has dropped like a rock compared to a few years back. I think due to the age of the collectors for that system.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Atari 2600 stuff has dropped like a rock compared to a few years back. I think due to the age of the collectors for that system.

Exactly...It's no longer people our age driving prices/demand...its these young bucks. Once they get their fill and the next generation comes in, like the 2600 market now, no one will give a shit about much of this stuff.

Again, rare stuff will always be rare. Take the Neo for example, it really is a rare beast and games are not easy to come by.

But SNES Metroid? Give me a break...

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

yes.
These machines are taking more and more effort to keep running. I would expect game prices to decline as media and input change to the point where it's prohibitive to actual gameplay. People have already moved to everdrives, and soon it will just be romboxes or fpga clones. At that point, why bother with the original media.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
sorry guys, I ment to keep up with this thread, but it's been a rough day. Super busy, and hospice told us grandma won't make it through the weekend. Cancer sucks.

I wouldn't keep the discs and sell the cases/manuals if I were you. Either keep them or sell them, but don't split them up. Seems like you've already made up your mind that you want to keep them, which you should if you still get enjoyment from playing them.

Not really, that's why we are having this discussion. Yes I do like and want to keep some of the games, but I'm no shelf queen outside of a few certain titles. and the money could add some sweet ass shit to the room. nut I aslo don't want to add undue stress to my systems either.

If you have complete games...keep them complete.

If you want to shed them but think there might be a chance you will want to play them again in the future, burn copies and sell the originals.

I used CD-Rs on my Laseractive, Gen 1 and 2 Sega CD, X'EYE, and to different Duo R units...not a one of them took a dump on me or had any problems. I spend hours with Snatcher on the Sega CD and Dracula X on the Duo...again, no problems.

Possibly they are harder on the system, who knows. Me? Never had a single issue.

Do you think any particular rig is more durable than the others? I have a model 1, 2, and a cdx. I have really been thinking about an x'eye lately. I also want sweet rgb out of the model I end up keeping.

Unless you really need the money, I would advise against selling. You may regret it down the road, and repurchasing those games would cost a fortune in the current market.

Great point.

I've seen whole Sega CD collection get hit with disc rot because of an apartments temperature changes. That optical media is getting really old. I'd get out while you can and buy yourself an older external CDR drive and a pack of Taiyo Silvers.

Also a great point, At the very least, I think I should make backups for this reason, regardless of if I sell them or not. I'll try the taiyo's on a slow speed.

I gotta get ready for work now, thanks guys. hopefully I get a good amount of downtime while i'm there, I want to chime in on the impending retro market crash, and the retro VGS thread, and I need to start a thread in tech support for some diggerman issues

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
While the Atari 2600 game not being worth anything is a troubling sign, the flip side to this is that many of those games just don't hold up to today's standards and were produced in such great numbers that they really don't have much value.

I think that certain franchise favorites from Nintendo and Sega won't necessarily have a price falling out and should continue to grow in value and always be desired. I think the retro video game market will eventually look like the Golden and Silver Age comic markets. People will still want vintage Mario games just as people still want vintage Batman comics. It likely will depend on what companies and franchises still exist in 10, 20, 30 years.

Last edited: