Sega Astro City Mini

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
ShpckA3.png

We may soon be reaching Peak Mini Retro Console. After the excellent Genesis/Mega Drive Mini and the baffling Game Gear Micro, Sega has unveiled an even more improbable product: meet the Astro City Mini.

For those unfamiliar with the original Astro City, it wasn’t a platform per se but a specific sit-down arcade cabinet that operators could buy and install one of a huge variety of game boards inside. Sega developed a whole range of “City” cabinets, with 1993’s Astro City proving to be by far the most ubiquitous and iconic. They’re still a very common sight in Japanese arcades.

As such, the Astro City Mini comes preloaded with a bunch of Sega arcade games. There’ll be 36 in total, and here are the confirmed titles so far, via Game Watch:

Alien Syndrome
Alien Storm
Golden Axe
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder
Columns II
Dark Edge
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R
Virtua Fighter
Fantasy Zone
Altered Beast

The Astro City Mini looks like a shrunken-down arcade cabinet, similar to the Neo Geo Mini. Unlike that system, though, Sega says that the stick uses proper microswitches, so it should be a lot more satisfying to use. There’s an HDMI-out on the back as well as two USB-A ports, a Micro USB port, and a headphone jack. Unfortunately, there’s no word on whether it’ll have a built-in battery.

The Astro City Mini is set for a release in Japan around the end of the year, and it’ll cost 12,800 yen (about $120.)
Source

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Fucking terrible. More plastic shit the world doesn't need. Seen a fair few dickheads drooling over this today, how the fuck is VF going to run on this. Not even Death Adder can save it

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Can they stop with this mini shit. Just make a bartop one if they want a smaller form factor. Why would anyone want to play on one of these. This thing looks like it's on par with the crappy Neo one.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
It's too small. Build a real bartop instead.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
No this looks good!

Presumably the controls will be better than the Neo one. And HMDI out. I’d like having this on my desk.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
No this looks good!

Presumably the controls will be better than the Neo one. And HMDI out. I’d like having this on my desk.

Micro switch joystick confirmed, hopefully buttons too.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
i think this looks great, then again i really like the mini neo one too.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Not into this mini stuff either, however this looks like a better prospect than the ones that came before it.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I’ll play my real NAC instead.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I'm only buying this because of that controller.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
And I was just thinking the control panel was missing all the cool details. Glad to see the cool controller!

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
That controller is dope. I hope I can just use both controllers on it and just let it sit.

The only mini console I actually play has been my TG16 since I don’t own a real one.

Seems SEGA actually fucking listened to feedback, AGAIN

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I scooped one. The screen is bigger than the NG Mini, microswitches, games that were never ported. Don't see what there is to dislike about it. Sega seems to be on a bit of a roll recently. Always wanted an Astro City, but with all the knobs flocking to "retro gaming" and causing prices to skyrocket, this is probably the closest I'll get. Whatever.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Would be nice if there was a way to connect another mini for head2head.

jdoll

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Can they stop with this mini shit. Just make a bartop one if they want a smaller form factor. Why would anyone want to play on one of these. This thing looks like it's on par with the crappy Neo one.

I mean its fun for a bit and makes a nice collectible-a toy model is like half this price so... that said I love the bartop idea how sweet that would be!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
yeah - buying this

Same. I still want the shitty neo cab mini just to display. It's a playable showpiece. Hopefully this will actually be good. Like it or not snk made a good design that is worthy of being copied.

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
I will ultimately end up getting this but I really hope they put on a couple of shoot em up games as well.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I love this thing but I just bought a Saturn and not sure if I should spend the funds for this. The control is boss however.

I may change my mind if they have more games. One Youtube went over what he wishes the other games were. See if you agree or not.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
More games announced 20th August 2020:

Bonanza Bros
Columns
Cotton
Crack Down
ESWAT
Gain Ground
Ichidant-R
Puyo Puyo