Sega Arcade Racing Games...Post Outrun 2

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
For a long time I never really acknowledged or knew about the existence of Sega arcadre racing games that came out later in the arcade.

Truth be told, I never played some earlier model 3 stuff like Daytona 2 or Scud Race. I played some stuff like Outrun 2 and Sega Rally 3 on console, but thats about it.

However, I recently got a cheapo pc to mess around with emulation and discovered a whole bunch of Sega racing games I never knew existed. Here are some.

Daytona 2/Power Edition
Scud Race
Dirt Devils
Daytona 3
Sega Race TV
R-Tuned
Grid
Storm Racer G

Most of these I am playing on Teknoparrot or the Model 3 emulator. Storm Racer G is a stand-alone though.

Some of these are pretty great, some not so much. Right now the 2 stand-out suprises were Sega Race TV, and Storm Racer G.

Any of you guys mess around with any of these? Any other noteable "modern" Sega racing games I am missing? I'm looking to get a nice racing set-up with a BigBox front-end to make it nice and easy for my kids to play all these...so any other game suggestions would be appreciated. Doesn't need to be Sega either...I found a bunch of Namco games post Ridge Racer as well.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
There are a bunch of Initial D games in teknoparrot as well, but haven't messed around with any of these yet. Seem too text heavy. I just like selecting a track, car and manual/automatic transmission then go go go.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
You’re missing out if you don’t want to try the Initial D games. I recommend Initial D Arcade Stage 3, originally for the Naomi 2. It isn’t as complex as the newer games, like Arcade Stage 8 and Zero, and it has a better Eurobeat selection. Arcade Stage 3 is very pick up and play if you want it to be, although it supported vehicle upgrades and progress saving through a magnetic card (all Initial D racing games have a card saving function). As a fan of the series and the games, I think you’re doing yourself a disservice by not trying them out. Hands down, my favorite arcade racing games.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Duly noted! I messed around a bit with Demul so can definitely check those out. It's weird though, Crazy Taxi works great, but 18 Wheeler is almost unplayable for me. Strange because I am running games that seem more demanding with no problem on teknoparrot. I can't remember which Initial D games are on teknoparrot, but I think it may just be Zero and Stage 8.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Dirt Devils is a good one. that Era of arcades has a lot of turds, but also some hidden gems.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Dirt Devils is fun but I am still learning how to adjust controls and stuff. I using a Xbone controller and it is way to sensitive....I'm very new to emulation. Hopefully will be better once I get a proper wheel set-up as well.

Been doing some digging...apparently there are some Grid console games...but looks like those were from Codemasters, not Sega. Not sure if they are the same game or not...but the arcade one is awesome.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Dirt Devil was pretty average to decent on the dreamcast . Im guessing its the same as the arcade? Did you try Emergency Ambulance Call, i enjoyed that more than Crazy Taxi. Very stressful game.

Its hard for me to really go back to any racing game without a wheel. I think the only game i recall that i enjoyed w/ controller was Ridge Racer 4.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Which Sega game had the sweet full size cab with a cockpit view and the Sonic Charm Hanging from the rear view? I wore that game out in the arcade.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
That was 18 Wheeler. It was a pretty immersive experience in the arcade.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Highly recommend checking out YouTube vids of Sega's Hummer. Came out in 2008 but only this year discovered it when I played it at an arcade. The hummer seat moves as you plays. Incredibly fun game that you will sadly never play, Moe, I'm sorry.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
oh I’ll play it LoneSage,I promise you that.

I’ll play it even if I have to buy the fucking machine and have it shipped to me from China.

I’ll do it buddy.

I’ll do it just to prove you wrong.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Which Sega game had the sweet full size cab with a cockpit view and the Sonic Charm Hanging from the rear view? I wore that game out in the arcade.
Rad Mobile!!

I love all the System32 racers. SuperScaler F1 happy times.

My most prized pcb, is Capcom’s SlipStream.

Motor Raid is a Model 2 gem, just played it again at Hershey Park.
Jambo Safari is winner, also. Like fishing and driving at the same time!

AfterBurner Climax is hella fun to play w/ a steering wheel/driving cab.

On the topic of Sega racers-why can’t we get an arcade-tier EnduroRacer port? Master System rev isn’t even close.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
You’re missing out if you don’t want to try the Initial D games. I recommend Initial D Arcade Stage 3, originally for the Naomi 2. It isn’t as complex as the newer games, like Arcade Stage 8 and Zero, and it has a better Eurobeat selection. Arcade Stage 3 is very pick up and play if you want it to be, although it supported vehicle upgrades and progress saving through a magnetic card (all Initial D racing games have a card saving function). As a fan of the series and the games, I think you’re doing yourself a disservice by not trying them out. Hands down, my favorite arcade racing games.

Wow - you weren’t kidding...just got around to trying out a bunch of Initial D games and am hooked. I haven’t played 3 yet (or the earlier games) as I think I hate Demul..,but I got Stage 4 and everything after on Teknoparrot and they are running great.

I thought the 1 on 1 race would be boring but I was definitely wrong...things get pretty intense.

The only game I tried so far that was in English was Stage 4...wish some of the later ones were too. Not too hard to navigate menus tho.

But if there was ever a series that begged to be played with a proper wheel/shifter this is it. Recently ordered a racing setup (thanks for the input in chat, HDR) and looking forward to getting everything set up soon.

Anyway thanks Digmac for the recommendation...can’t believe this wasn’t on my radar before :p

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Rad Mobile!!

On the topic of Sega racers-why can’t we get an arcade-tier EnduroRacer port? Master System rev isn’t even close.
Never heard of some of these, but thanks for the suggestions. Off to YouTube!

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Outrun 2 is the best arcade racers of all time. You definitely need to try the initial d ones too. All Round1 arcades have em and despite them being text heavy, theyre easily playable and quite fun

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Rad Mobile!!

+1 on Motor Raid, it's pre-Outrun 2 but it fuckin' rules, it's like Sega slapped Quake and Doom's artstyle on top of WipEout, I love it. I got to play it in an airport once on the full-sized dual motorcycle cab but it's still decent fun on an emulator

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Initial D on Naomi 2 is one of the few I am keeping a lookout for, seems to come for decent prices recently. :)

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Outrun 2 is the best arcade racers of all time. You definitely need to try the initial d ones too. All Round1 arcades have em and despite them being text heavy, theyre easily playable and quite fun
Amen!
Is the Initial D PS3 game a port of an arcade game? I think I have it sitting on my PS3 HDD but I never tried it much because of the moonrunes.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Amen!
Is the Initial D PS3 game a port of an arcade game? I think I have it sitting on my PS3 HDD but I never tried it much because of the moonrunes.
Yea its basically a port of one of them although I'm not sure which iteration.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Rad Mobile!!

+1 on Motor Raid, it's pre-Outrun 2 but it fuckin' rules, it's like Sega slapped Quake and Doom's artstyle on top of WipEout, I love it. I got to play it in an airport once on the full-sized dual motorcycle cab but it's still decent fun on an emulator

Motor Raid is awesome! Thanks for the suggestion guys.

At this point I basically have all the components to finalize my racing set-up (computer w/ a nice front-end running everything from MAME to Teknoparrot), wheel, shifter, cockpit....just missing monitor stand at this point. Unfortunately they are out of stock...hopefully I can get one soon.

One thing - is it just me, or are some of those earlier Sega games not emulated properly. Power Drift definitely seems to have a lot of graphical glitches, even Outun, Turbo Outrun and Outrunners seem off...

Not a big deal because I like the later racing games more...and model 2 onward seems to be emulated well. Same with the Namco racers like Ridge Racer, Dirt Dash etc.