See through, coloured mvs carts

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
So what's up with them? Just been thinking and it suddenly occurred to me, what's the point in them? Don't get me wrong, they're cool and all from a collector point of view, but since they were going to be inside an arcade machine and only the operator would see them, briefly, before putting them in the cab, what was the point? Just can't see an arcade operator being bothered by whether a cart was coloured or not.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
SNK did a lot of strange stuff back in the day

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
The only detail in which X>2. The smoky grey X cart is pretty awesome.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I think they introduced them in order to spot bootlegs/alterations/damage without opening the cart.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I think they introduced them in order to spot bootlegs/alterations/damage without opening the cart.

That's what I always assumed too. Plus I'm sure arcade ops had stacks of these cartridges in the back that weren't always in use; having a nice green transparent case in a sea of black makes a new game stand out

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I don't think arcade operators care if the carts are bootleg, as long as it runs and makes them money.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
I don't think arcade operators care if the carts are bootleg, as long as it runs and makes them money.

Indeed, probably the manufacturer does, when delivering support or later quality control i.e. on distributors.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Has anyone ever had a full clear red cart? I've only ever seen the clear red PCB dividers in like MOTW carts.

thieslo

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Xian, Bang Beads also have that clear red PCB divider. I thought it was a mix up and when I asked about it he told me every Bang Bead was like that. Did an image search and sure enough the majority had it.

If I was guessing on why they did clear carts, I think someone nailed it earlier. It is so the cartridge stands out for the arcade operators. Out of a bunch of black carts one is bright yellow, clear, or clear blue it will stand out.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I used a clear shell and painted the inside with Krylon stained glass spray paint. Worked great.

I need to finish it off with a cart label. My plan was to use a clear vinyl label, just haven't got around to it...or put it back in its original shell.

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire
I used a clear shell and painted the inside with Krylon stained glass spray paint. Worked great.

I need to finish it off with a cart label. My plan was to use a clear vinyl label, just haven't got around to it...or put it back in its original shell.

hackzorz for teh winzorz

Nice job!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

If you end up making a rainbow of colors, that would be interesting to see