SCREW ATTACK does GAROU:MoTW

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
I'm probably saying this more as an SNk fan... but I felt that video shoulda been longer. It does not cover just how AWESOME Garou is. But any additional press on that game gets a thumbs up for me.

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
I'm probably saying this more as an SNk fan... but I felt that video shoulda been longer. It does not cover just how AWESOME Garou is. But any additional press on that game gets a thumbs up for me.

Well, Screw Attack's Video Game Vault is only a short look at the game. Usually it only lasts about 1-3 minutes.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
good to see a video about a neo geo game in today's times.

Dio Brando

Mickey's Coach
I agree with Phyeir that it could of been longer, but they did excellent job explaining some of unique characteristics, such as TOP and the beautiful background designs, that make MotW a worthy game for fighter fans. Props to the Screw Attack team for opening up the Neo Geo world to others!:buttrock:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
it´s not their first take on a Neo Geo game. They also did a Fatal Fury, Metal Slug 3 and Art of Fighting video.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
that's pretty cool, i'm gonna look for those vids

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Screw Attack can be some fun.... I actually got into it 'cuz of a buddy of mine from Poland who liked Angry Videogame Nerd.

Just watched the video. Obviously it was shorter than I would've made it, but I feel like it concisely summarized a lot of the awesome features of the game, even if it's difficult to properly convey the awesome of it from talking about features and whatnot.

Last edited:

Brolin

n00b
"Hot daamn, do they look good" Lol!

My heart just skipped a beat watching that video. I remember when I first got my AES console and would sometimes lose sleep at night thinking of all the things I'd either have to do or sell to get a copy of MotW on home cart. Those were the days. The very poor days.

Never did get a copy because you know my dumb ass bought KoF 2001 right when it came out instead. Now how much is that sucker worth? Like $50? Maybe.

Anyway, long time no lurk, www.neo-geo.com.

Great to be back.

Brolin

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Maybe he could have covered more of MOTW if he would have shut the hell up about street fighter.

JEEZ :mad:

snk`

Kula's Candy
people like him are the main reasons why I dislike SF.. I hope it never makes it to XBL :very_ang:

SNK games deserve to be more recognized than most Capcom fighters, these guys just never get enough credit for their great work.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
SNK games deserve to be more recognized than most Capcom fighters, these guys just never get enough credit for their great work.

Amen. Most of Capcom's big "innovations" were done in some form or fashion by SNK years before.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
SNK generally doesn't get recognition because:

-In the 16-bit days, most people were exposed to their games through SNES and Genesis ports of varying quality.

-Arcades began drying up during the 32-bit era, and most Neo-Geo ports did not get released outside of Japan.

-Capcom fighting games were like 100 times more popular. Forget Street Fighter; their Marvel games ruled the late 90's.

-Graphics whorism. Capcom games generally looked and animated better than SNK games, and polygons took over anyway. Nobody -except the hardcore- cared about Neo-Geo games or even realized they were still being made.

-Like the Screwattack video said, SF3 gets all the love because you couldn't find Garou anywhere. Although I don't recall 3rd Strike being that popular until several years after release. The internet and Japanese players showing off their skills definitely had a hand in that.

Where I live, Garou was available at two arcades. One was a shitty ghetto-riffic Dave&Busters knock-off, the other was at a pretty decent mall arcade. They not only got Garou, but put it in a big-screen cab. Unfortunately, the controls were busted and the guy running the place never bothered to fix them, so nobody played the game. THEN he would complain about how nobody ever played it and that he was never getting Neo-Geo games ever again. :rolleyes: I didn't care since I had the AES version and all my friends loved the game, but in the end everyone went back to 3rd Strike since they had copies of their own at home to practice on.

Last edited:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i know more than a dozen of people that didn´t even known that there was a Street Fighter 3 until Street Fighter 4 came around. But these same people know that there´s a Metal Slug 1,2,3,4 and 5. they know about Fatal Fury, King of Fighters or Super Sideckicks.
Some of this people are not even connected with videogames nowadays.
If you ask them about Capcom they will answer: "Street Fighter 2".maybe Final Fight or Resident Evil.
I do think SNK gets a bit of regognition, maybe not as much has we would like to...But that´s also SNK´s own fault and part of its history.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
i know more than a dozen of people that didn´t even known that there was a Street Fighter 3 until Street Fighter 4 came around. But these same people know that there´s a Metal Slug 1,2,3,4 and 5.

I was with you until that last part. That's hard to believe.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I had MOTW on DC but I have to admit the experience is much better on an MVS/AES.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
I had MOTW on DC but I have to admit the experience is much better on an MVS/AES.

The sound issues it had were a disappointment. It's not bad on PS2 and XBLA, but Garou is definitely one game where the original version remains the best.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego

i can only speak of my personal experience off course.
Here in Portugal we have scattered in some bars (cafés) of Lisbon some "emulator" cabs.all of them have at least 3 Metal Slugs in them. i know of people that don´t play games nowadays but have MAME installed on their laptops. For nostalgic purpose,sure, but they know about this games. more than you can believe.

p.s- this cabs that i mention usually boast only one Street Fighter,and that´s Street Fighter 2 C.E.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,

It's not SO unbelievable. The only SF3 ports of note were on the Dreamcast, and we all know how well that went over. SF3 machines in the arcades were basically ignored.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
sf3 was pretty popular on xbox live when the anniversary collection came out.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
Rad. They did a good job on that video. I feel pretty bad about selling my copy of Mark of the Wolves now... :crying:

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
It's not SO unbelievable. The only SF3 ports of note were on the Dreamcast, and we all know how well that went over. SF3 machines in the arcades were basically ignored.

Deuce, Street Fighter III Third Strike also came out on the Playstation 2 and Xbox as part of the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (which also had Hyper Street Fighter II). The Xbox version even had online play.

SF3 was never that popular and 3rd Strike didn't become the huge game that is among the fighting game community until several years after release, yes, but when you look at domestic releases, Metal Slug rarely got ported to home console outside Japan until only the last couple of years.

I can't speak for everyone, but while I almost never saw New Generation and 2nd Impact machines, 3rd Strike was all over the place. Guess CPS3 prices went down by then. I saw Metal Slug and Metal Slug 2/X in arcades but never saw Metal Slug 3, 4, 5, and 6 outside of Japan.

Last edited: