"Scientist burns water"

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
Radio frequencies help burn salt water

ERIE, Pa. - An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University chemist, has held demonstrations at his State College lab to confirm his own observations.

The radio frequencies act to weaken the bonds between the elements that make up salt water, releasing the hydrogen, Roy said. Once ignited, the hydrogen will burn as long as it is exposed to the frequencies, he said.

The discovery is "the most remarkable in water science in 100 years," Roy said.

"This is the most abundant element in the world. It is everywhere," Roy said. "Seeing it burn gives me the chills."

Roy will meet this week with officials from the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense to try to obtain research funding.

The scientists want to find out whether the energy output from the burning hydrogen — which reached a heat of more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit — would be enough to power a car or other heavy machinery.

"We will get our ideas together and check this out and see where it leads," Roy said. "The potential is huge."

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Now the emos can finally have a moped powered by their own tears. Awesome.

But seriously, that sounds cool.

SSS

neo retired
that's seriously amazing. If this could be applied to power generation, you could forseeably do away with coal and pertroleum fueled power plants.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
The WZA could have told you how to do this years ago.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
SamuraiShodownSensei said:
that's seriously amazing. If this could be applied to power generation, you could forseeably do away with coal and pertroleum fueled power plants.
Finally something to be really excited about! A water powered car is something I've dreamed about for years.

SSS

neo retired
Lets Gekiga In said:
Finally something to be really excited about! A water powered car is something I've dreamed about for years.

as long as the oil industry doesn't get it's hands on the technology patent and then bury it. won't stop other countries I imagine. Entire island nations could be entirely self sufficient. Wouldn't have to import foreign fuels. We can only hope.

shit, down to basics. The furnace in your house could be run on salt water.

aria

Former Moderator
Some idiot is going to try and jerry-rig one of these things in his backyard and accidentally light the Atlantic Ocean on fire. Lovely. :p

SSS

neo retired
I'm really curious on such a devices' power consumption. The first law of thermodynamics states energy can't be created or destroyed. The flame is just a transfer of energy from the radio waves. As soon as the device would be turned off, the flames would go out.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Dude, there's this car... and it RUNS ON WATER, man!

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
as long as the oil industry doesn't get it's hands on the technology patent and then bury it.
That is the one thing that worries me about this. When you have the discovery of a potentially immense new source of fuel that could literally change the world, I truly hope it does not fall by the wayside because it threatens the wallets of big industry.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:
That is the one thing that worries me about this. When you have the discovery of a potentially immense new source of fuel that could literally change the world, I truly hope it does not fall by the wayside because it threatens the wallets of big industry.

psst...Electric Car

*disappears*

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
DARK ANDY said:
psst...Electric Car
My point exactly...of all the possible alternative fuels for cars, I was most impressed by the results being developed using electricity. We all know where that's gone(to wasting time with ethanol).

As an aside, has anyone seen Who Killed the Electric Car? I've been interested in seeing it but wondered how objective it is.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:
My point exactly...of all the possible alternative fuels for cars, I was most impressed by the results being developed using electricity. We all know where that's gone(to wasting time with ethanol).

As an aside, has anyone seen Who Killed the Electric Car? I've been interested in seeing it but wondered how objective it is.
Electric cars aren't really out of the equation as of right now. Plug-in hybrids seem to be the direction the automotive industry looks to be headed. Ever since the movie Who Killed the Electric Car? came out GM has been trying to come out with something that will get people to stop asking about the GM EV-1. So that's why they have the Chevrolet Volt Concept now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

It's a good movie to watch, but don't take it to heart. I believe as of right now (I really want to see how efficient salt water burning is, I'm hoping VERY) that Biodiesel is the way of the future.

SSS

neo retired
You have to realize though this isn't "fuel" in the sense of natural gas or oil. All you need to ignite natural gas is a little spark of electricity to start a chemical chain reaction. The energy being released is stored chemical energy.

For this device to run at 100% efficiency, it would have to release the same amount of energy as the amount being put into it. Apparently he has admitted that it doesn't.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
You have to realize though this isn't "fuel" in the sense of natural gas or oil. All you need to ignite natural gas is a little spark of electricity to start a chemical chain reaction. The energy being released is stored chemical energy.

For this device to run at 100% efficiency, it would have to release the same amount of energy as the amount being put into it. Apparently he has admitted that it doesn't.
I thought that's what the research is going to be for, to try to figure out if it is something that really could make a big difference?

SSS

neo retired
Lets Gekiga In said:
I thought that's what the research is going to be for, to try to figure out if it is something that really could make a big difference?

Oh, most definitely they're going to look at all the angles. Now if they could keep the flame going without the constant need for RF waves, that would be world changing.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
alternative fuel will never happen because the oil suppliers and the car makers are all in on it together and no one wants to lose their moneys.

but I digress.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
forgot global warming.. the next thing is going to be "ocean levels in danger!" & people will be leaving California to go to go new beach cities. wee!

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
I can just see the college pranks.

"Dude, let's go light the Pacific ocean on fire".

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I really hope this advances, I can see it being used for power plants, maybe not cars , but who knows. It's pretty amazing.

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
This is awesome.

Basically you can just pee in your tank to get a few hundred miles out of your transportation.

I expect the drunk driving arrests to go up though.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Ive actually known about this from a shady source.

Crop circles. Genuine crop circles end up crispy at the bottom and people cant reproduce it.

But it is essentially from radio waves. As waves are able to produce the complex patterns present. Its really a perfect match.

I myself never really put it together for a fuel though. Thats pretty neat.