Samurai Shodown V Perfect releases on eXa Arcadia

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I looked at their site some more…so they sell a $4000 box you can play this game on and they will charge at least $500 for the cart, we can assume. Given the existing options, legal or not, this seems less than ideal for operators or home gamers.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Both of those titles weren't developed for the Exa, okay DDP was updated yay. With games like the kung fu vs karate champ being fucking horrible along with most if not all of the release games being equally so, the only thing redeeming about this PC is ports.

I guess you have the fallen angels coming....

CatBoy

n00b
I looked at their site some more…so they sell a $4000 box you can play this game on and they will charge at least $500 for the cart, we can assume. Given the existing options, legal or not, this seems less than ideal for operators or home gamers.
I agree that for a home gamer, it's way too expensive, especially considering it's not latest technology hardware or close to it. The price model is obviously targetted at arcade operators... the very few still open around the globe today anyway, since most arcades are now privately operated in basements or garages... I still hope eXa does really well in the dying arcade world and hope they eventually release their exclusive games to home consoles. "Porting" them on PC (Steam or other service) must not require a lot of work...

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I don’t know very many operators who buy new $4000 systems anymore. In Vegas, sure, but not these barcade things, not Galloping Ghost, not Pinball Pete’s, etc. What all those places do have already though is an MVS if not four of them. Pirate SSVP carts would fit right in there…and since SNK would rather license this nonsense than sell MVS carts and they don’t ever sue anyone what’s going to happen is that nearly every arcade that has this game will run a pirate copy because it’s going to cost them $150 net instead of $4500. The only reason to buy this game this way is to stay legal…but nobody enforces the law…so it’s basically for people volunteering to pay for it.

And yeah, no deal at all for home gamers since they can emulate the ROM just fine for free.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Both of those titles weren't developed for the Exa, okay DDP was updated yay. With games like the kung fu vs karate champ being fucking horrible along with most if not all of the release games being equally so, the only thing redeeming about this PC is ports.

I guess you have the fallen angels coming....

Fallen Angels: Final and the M2 WolfGirl walk em up are what I’ll finally pull the trigger for.

I haven’t been able to justify the purchase as of yet, because every Exa title currently available can be had on iOS/Switch/Steam for waaaaaaay less Bison bucks.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
According to their site a game kit is $1255 each. It really is a lot to ask for operators and arcades have been declining even in Japan in recent years. Right now you could buy a Tekken 7 cabinet for less. It doesn't have the multigame functionality but it would still bring in more money.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Wait, the SS cart itself is $1255? That is utterly stupid. I assume someone took a 1999 kit price and "adjusted it for inflation" to get that number while ignoring that these carts don't contain two dozen 24 pin ROMs anymore and that the game has been on the Switch for like a year so its not actually "new" and the "new" factor was a part of original MVS pricing.

CatBoy

n00b
Wait, the SS cart itself is $1255? That is utterly stupid. I assume someone took a 1999 kit price and "adjusted it for inflation" to get that number while ignoring that these carts don't contain two dozen 24 pin ROMs anymore and that the game has been on the Switch for like a year so its not actually "new" and the "new" factor was a part of original MVS pricing.
Game kits range from $499 to $1994. SSVP price hasn't been announced yet.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Game kits range from $499 to $1994. SSVP price hasn't been announced yet.

So it will likely be even more expensive then, since this has to be a major title for them. $6000 is really high for a conversion kit, IMO.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
The target audience is clearly the owner of the business, he's trying to capture the lightning in the bottle that was the Neo Geo because.... look people will buy it ok?

Johnny16Bit

Fio's Quartermaster
Meanwhile, there's got to be operators somewhere in Asia or South America running bootlegs of the game on old MVS cabs...:kekeke:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The target audience is clearly the owner of the business, he's trying to capture the lightning in the bottle that was the Neo Geo because.... look people will buy it ok?
He’s stealing Chris and Dion’s thing?

There are a lot of people who want to level up as a fan beyond the thing they are a fan of. It’s starting to become weirdly common.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I like arcade hardware. I'll probably pick this up years down the line when it's cheaper.

doaal

Mr. Big's Thug
Or maybe we'll see Ex-Arcadia AES with games costing $600 each, and going up in value on the secondhand market :keke:

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Since we're talking about the exA-Arcadia, can I just chime in and say how fucking crazy is it that this remake of a NES game is exclusive for the platform? Apparently, it's due to being done in-house for the exA.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
He’s stealing Chris and Dion’s thing?

There are a lot of people who want to level up as a fan beyond the thing they are a fan of. It’s starting to become weirdly common.
Ego is the worst poison anyone can possibly take...

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I don’t know very many operators who buy new $4000 systems anymore. In Vegas, sure, but not these barcade things, not Galloping Ghost, not Pinball Pete’s, etc. What all those places do have already though is an MVS if not four of them. Pirate SSVP carts would fit right in there…and since SNK would rather license this nonsense than sell MVS carts and they don’t ever sue anyone what’s going to happen is that nearly every arcade that has this game will run a pirate copy because it’s going to cost them $150 net instead of $4500. The only reason to buy this game this way is to stay legal…but nobody enforces the law…so it’s basically for people volunteering to pay for it.

And yeah, no deal at all for home gamers since they can emulate the ROM just fine for free.
The price of the kit really isn't the issue here. Arcade kits have always been expensive, as you're basically paying the license to put the game on location (much like a movie theater paying to show a movie). Remember how MVS carts originally cost much more than AES.

Small US arcades and barcades are operating on small budgets and obviously are buying in the used market.