Samurai Shodown (Spirit) RPG translation (French to English)

Are you interested by an English version of Samurai Spirits RPG?

• Yes sure, keep going!

Votes: 110 98.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm so down for this. Would buy a CD copy or an MVS cart. Possibly both.

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
Unfortunately Cory has lost his work due to his computer being temperamental...
Azra has sent me a part of his work, I will have a look.

Dr.-Who.gif

Dear God no... I hope you guys are able to recover...

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
It never fails, computers always decide to crap out once sensitive data is involved.

My condolences...

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
Wow, what is it about getting Sam Sho RPG in English that makes this such a pain in the ass? I mean, it's like a curse at this point. I begged SNK back in the day, (1996ish), to make the English translation for the game and bring it to America, and they told me it would be too much work for them, and would not sell well in America anyway due to the Neo CD just being ignored in the US mainly. Since that time I have felt that it would never happen, and each time I hear of someone making a real English translation for the game, I get excited just to find out the person making the patch is doing it only for himself, or that the translation is too hard for the second chapter, or the project is abandoned due to people getting upset due to constant beggars asking for the patch, or that it's only possible in another language, and the list goes on and on.

It's times like this that I wish I could just do this myself, as I have the time, and had I the knowledge to get this done for everyone, I would just do it, and work nonstop to get it done in a timely manner. I think that in the end, even doing this for free, I would be pleased with the end result knowing that so many would be happy to play the game on their NeoCD, and CDZ consoles for the first time ever in English format.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Wow, what is it about getting Sam Sho RPG in English that makes this such a pain in the ass? I mean, it's like a curse at this point. I begged SNK back in the day, (1996ish), to make the English translation for the game and bring it to America, and they told me it would be too much work for them, and would not sell well in America anyway due to the Neo CD just being ignored in the US mainly. Since that time I have felt that it would never happen, and each time I hear of someone making a real English translation for the game, I get excited just to find out the person making the patch is doing it only for himself, or that the translation is too hard for the second chapter, or the project is abandoned due to people getting upset due to constant beggars asking for the patch, or that it's only possible in another language, and the list goes on and on.

It's times like this that I wish I could just do this myself, as I have the time, and had I the knowledge to get this done for everyone, I would just do it, and work nonstop to get it done in a timely manner. I think that in the end, even doing this for free, I would be pleased with the end result knowing that so many would be happy to play the game on their NeoCD, and CDZ consoles for the first time ever in English format.

Hacking and/or translating is hard, especially Japanese to English. Character placement and overall translating is a bitch. I have many projects open BC I don't have a translator, just myself, w rudimentary Japanese knowledge, so I move on until I can find someone. The French release helped a lot, but they also do a lot of nasty tile work, which makes a simply script dump impossible , see star ocean for GBC. That was done by the same guy.

Fakk2

Hacking and/or translating is hard, especially Japanese to English. Character placement and overall translating is a bitch. I have many projects open BC I don't have a translator, just myself, w rudimentary Japanese knowledge, so I move on until I can find someone. The French release helped a lot, but they also do a lot of nasty tile work, which makes a simply script dump impossible , see star ocean for GBC. That was done by the same guy.

I see, thanks for the reply. :)

fluxcore

Another Striker
Don't get disheartened, guys, Cory was just helping out with translation. It's Apoc's hard drive dying we need to worry about...

You are backing this shit up, right, Apoc? :D

Fakk2

Don't get disheartened, guys, Cory was just helping out with translation. It's Apoc's hard drive dying we need to worry about...

I was just thinking about that, I mean even if the HDD is on the way out the door, if you try over and over to copy or move the data to another HDD, there should be a possibility to save the progress. I have had a few HDD's die on me over the years, and I sat there somethings for a few days, trying to get it working, and move the data over. It seemed that the smaller the files were to move over, the more it began to move them, until I just moved one file at a time until it got to the point that I could move more and more until I was able to save everything to another HDD. I think only one time I lost everything on an HDD, and that was when the laptop fell off the table and hit the ground while it was playing a video, which made the head hit the platter and it was damaged permanently. All the others were able to be recovered.

Apoc might be able to get it recovered if he sends it to a pro with a clean room that can do it for him by swapping out the HDD with another working one, and move the data over for a fee, but it would be costly. Just a thought. If the work your losing is extensive, like 10-12 months of non stop work, then it might be worth the asking price. ?

Apocalypse

Edo Express Delivery Guy

My HDD is fine (for the moment :)) and yes I backup my work (It's an habit I have to systematically save devs I make. History has proven I wasn't paranoid for no reason :lolz:).
I just want to mention that this kind of project is a black hole concerning time. I sank so many hours in it...

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Unfortunately Cory has lost his work due to his computer being temperamental...
Azra has sent me a part of his work, I will have a look.

I'm going to list some games for sale later today and buy a new PC this week end. Those Android Hex editors are freaking garbage :(

Hellfromabove

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm going to list some games for sale later today and buy a new PC this week end. Those Android Hex editors are freaking garbage :(

Damn Cory, why not start taking donations before selling off some games. I'm pretty sure some of us here would gladly pitch in since this is for a good cause :).

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I am busy with work but I still put in some work in it every chance I get.
It is a lot of text to go through...

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don't give up. ;)
I'm just really busy in my personal and professional life!
All good man. You've demonstrated more progress than the other guy had in like 10 years lol.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I don't give up. ;)
I'm just really busy in my personal and professional life!
Sure, take your time. I just didn't want this thread to get lost/forgotten and show my support.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
how's it going fellas... any updates?

DaveGeorge

NEST Puppet
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for this one. Samsho RPG in english has been my wet dream since the 90's. But I'm in no hurry, have I already waited 20 years or so, there's no problem waiting a few more months (or years?).

Keep up the good work guys!

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I use Dropbox for my translations, saved my ass and they do versioning on files. GL

Jonathan32

n00b
Bump....I don't want this thread to get lost over time. Was wondering have you guys been able to make anymore progress with the translation? Also if there was any kind of donations needed to help make this project happen? I would gladly be willing to help contribute to this as I've been wanting an English version to play for years now just like everyone else. Thanks.