Samurai Shodown Neo-Geo Collection (PS4/XB1/PC/SW)

RondoX

n00b
Interesting story and theory. It could also be that the game just reached that age.

It is indeed very interesting. Even SSVS back then got a lot of backlash over it's gore and violence in arcades where it can be observed by the general public. When anyone of any age can walk in and play it, or even just see it. As there was no age rating system for game center games.

SSVS was removed from arcades.

The out-pour of complaints during this time is the very reason why SNK Playmore completely censored the AES release. And even when they "fixed" it, it was still censored.

We will never know, but it is probably a good reason why SSVS Perfect was never released back then and we got the Tenka Ichi that we did.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
unknown.png

Nice gaps between virtual pixels. The future truly is now.

It's pretty pathetic, really. Should I post a MAME build that does this better than them?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I haven't been here in over forever, but I have to chime in here, now.

SamSho V Perfect is legit. I saw it at a loke test at the Taito hey! arcade back in late 2005.

Other old neo-geo.com members were there as well. If you do a search you'll find photos of the game.
I never got close enough to the cab.

Some kid in Osaka got stabbed in a game center and SSVS disappeared from the big game centers. This game never saw the light of day, and we got Tenka Ichi on Atomiswave void of any violence.

It's gonna be a blast from the past to actually finally try this out....

Hey dude.
Interesting. Leads me to think that maybe earliest builds of AW SS included blood maybe even some gore

I for one used to be caught up in blood lust rapture as much as anyone else, but in hindsight the fatalities in SSVS seem off, uncharacteristic of the world these folk inhabit. Earlier gore had always been tasteful and I think they could have done something a little less over the top

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
unknown.png

Nice gaps between virtual pixels. The future truly is now.

It's pretty pathetic, really. Should I post a MAME build that does this better than them?

Don’t you have some GoG games to rant against or a 3P version of Final Fight to pretend like you had a hand in?

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
It is indeed very interesting. Even SSVS back then got a lot of backlash over it's gore and violence in arcades where it can be observed by the general public. When anyone of any age can walk in and play it, or even just see it. As there was no age rating system for game center games.

SSVS was removed from arcades.

The out-pour of complaints during this time is the very reason why SNK Playmore completely censored the AES release. And even when they "fixed" it, it was still censored.

We will never know, but it is probably a good reason why SSVS Perfect was never released back then and we got the Tenka Ichi that we did.

I miss finding crusty, old mom and pop game centers in Japan like this one near Namba station in Osaka. I never heard about an arcade stabbing when I was there, but often played SSZS at a small game center at Hankyu Nishinomiya Station in Hyogo-ken, Japan

Game Center Namba Station.jpg

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Don’t you have some GoG games to rant against or a 3P version of Final Fight to pretend like you had a hand in?

You're retarded. I never said I had anything to do with the 3 player Final Fight arcade hack.

I made a 10 player version of Final Fight from scratch that has no connection to the original hardware at all.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Excellent. Since a question was all it took to get this ROM data to resurface... I wonder if they have anything remaining from Garou Mark of the Wolves 2’s development as well.

What's up BlackaneseNiNjA? I'm all for recovering and publishing any/all of Neo-Geo's lost protos. Kinda odd that it took someone insisting on adding Samurai Shodown Perfect to this collection when it's the strongest reason to buy it. With companies like iam8bit, retro-bit, Limited Run Games, Fan Gamer, etc., making $ selling to collectors, it's a huge missed opportunity not to actively get Neo-Geo's lost games published. Hell, if SNK went the kickstarter route I'm sure people would kick in $ to get some lost protos officially released.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
You're retarded. I never said I had anything to do with the 3 player Final Fight arcade hack.

I made a 10 player version of Final Fight from scratch that has no connection to the original hardware at all.

Shit bro, might as well show off the 45 slot mvs motherboard you made running that 60 FPS PORT OF METAL SLUG You are always teasing about. Fuck, you prolly got a VR version of 90s SNKs offices running on your PC at like 1000k resolution so you can walk around and tell them how shitty they are at programming.

Goddamn, we are such giant fucking douche bags compared to the iconic camel dick sucking taint juice drinking hardcore sum bitch you are.

RondoX

n00b
I miss finding crusty, old mom and pop game centers in Japan like this one near Namba station in Osaka. I never heard about an arcade stabbing when I was there, but often played SSZS at a small game center at Hankyu Nishinomiya Station in Hyogo-ken, Japan

View attachment 56708

Stumbling upon those old 50 yen game centers for the first time was always the best. You never knew what games you were gonna find. God, I even miss the smell of 'em... Like plastics, warm picture tubes, hot capacitors, can coffee, and tobacco. A very distinctive aroma but I remember them all kinda smelling the same. I hated when all the native hardware was replaced with ROM cabs but so terribly saddened when most of them closed over the years. These places will always hold a warm spot in the hearts of all who frequented them!

...And that one old guy playing Mahjong all day.

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Stumbling upon those old 50 yen game centers for the first time was always the best. You never knew what games you were gonna find. God, I even miss the smell of 'em... Like plastics. warm picture tubes, hot capacitors, can coffee, and tobacco. A very distinctive aroma but I remember them all kinda smelling the same. I hated when all the native hardware was replaced with ROM cabs but so terribly saddened when most of them closed over the years. These places will always hold a warm spot in the hearts of all who frequented them!

...And that one old guy playing Mahjong all day.

Ha. Yes, it was totally that way there. Cigg smells and burns on the machines are what first come to mind. I remember seeing a rusting MVS machine sitting outside some building once. Wish I took more pics.

RondoX

n00b
Ha. Yes, it was totally that way there. Cigg smells and burns on the machines are what first come to mind. I remember seeing a rusting MVS machine sitting outside some building once. Wish I took more pics.

Nothing... absolutely nothing, identifies, sums up, distinguishes, and embodies the Japanese 50 yen game center experience more than...

...And that one old guy playing Mahjong all day. lol.

Speaking of MVS cabs when I lived in Tochigi I used to spend my weekends driving the national routes for hours stopping at all the recycle shops I could find.
I once found two mini four slot cabs with games in cherry condition for 30,000 yen each...,

...Man the treasures I found.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
What's up BlackaneseNiNjA? I'm all for recovering and publishing any/all of Neo-Geo's lost protos. Kinda odd that it took someone insisting on adding Samurai Shodown Perfect to this collection when it's the strongest reason to buy it. With companies like iam8bit, retro-bit, Limited Run Games, Fan Gamer, etc., making $ selling to collectors, it's a huge missed opportunity not to actively get Neo-Geo's lost games published. Hell, if SNK went the kickstarter route I'm sure people would kick in $ to get some lost protos officially released.

Yo whats up KRONOS. Same old same here, I can't complain.

I agree; it's funny that all they had to do was ask about it, but I'm really glad that they did :lolz:

I admit I'm not really into new indie games appearing on the neo, but I would definitely back a kickstarter effort to see a lost/archived game get a release of some sort.

Last edited:

Raph4

Retrogoobing Newscaster
10 Year Member
SAMURAI SPIRITS NEO GEO COLLECTION NINTENDO SWITCH LIMITED EDITION PACK [SWITCH]

Includes:
-Game
-Special Artbook (50 Pages)
-Special Soundtrack (2 CD)
-Special Sticker
-Special Package

GXS8geC.jpg

GawaU3V.jpg

xKxlDFv.jpg

TWKwMVO.jpg

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Nothing... absolutely nothing, identifies, sums up, distinguishes, and embodies the Japanese 50 yen game center experience more than...

...And that one old guy playing Mahjong all day. lol.

Speaking of MVS cabs when I lived in Tochigi I used to spend my weekends driving the national routes for hours stopping at all the recycle shops I could find.
I once found two mini four slot cabs with games in cherry condition for 30,000 yen each...,

...Man the treasures I found.

That's pretty gutsy you drove in Japan. Going from driving on the right side of the road here, I just felt too uncomfortable doing it. Only used a bicycle to get around. Did you end up buying those MVS games? NG games were so cheap in the early 2000's.

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yo whats up KRONOS. Same old same here, I can't complain.

I agree; it's funny that all they had to do was ask about it, but I'm really glad that they did :lolz:

I admit I'm not really into new indie games appearing on the neo, but I would definitely back a kickstarter effort to see a lost/archived game get a release of some sort.

Agreed man. I'm not even a fan of crowdfunding projects. However, if the manufacture on demand model removes the financial risk from companies, then whatever makes it happen.

RondoX

n00b
That's pretty gutsy you drove in Japan. Going from driving on the right side of the road here, I just felt too uncomfortable doing it. Only used a bicycle to get around. Did you end up buying those MVS games? NG games were so cheap in the early 2000's.

Driving on the left side of the road can be a little daunting at first, right hand turns and such. But over time it does become muscle memory. I've owned a couple cars there over the years, nothing fancy, just k-cars. Something to make the $4 something a gallon back then last a little longer.

I still have TONS of crap from back then....

Outside of the novelty shops, there were no, "retro" games. The stores sold old games to get rid of them. You couldn't count all the Neo Geo CD pads, joysticks, and common games you could find in junk bins in Hard Offs alone for $105 yen. I still got lots of them with those price tags still on them.

And I remember Akihabara before the maids. And before it became a retro game tourist trap. I remember when Traders 1, 2, 3, Super Potato, Mak Japan and the other myriads of specialty shops sold games at rather low prices because customers sold them to the shops cheap because they wanted to get rid of them. You wouldn't get more than 5000 yen selling an AES to these places.

And I remember the foreign tourists who sold games for a living in their home countries. People speaking every different language with entire lists of games to buy, completely clearing out some smaller stores.

I remember when some of the arcades there had 10 yen corners for the some of the most competitive games. Like Super Street 2 Turbo and KoF'98. I'd usually get my ass handed to me cause the people who congregated there were complete masters. Just give them one tiny opening and then game over. But I had a some 30min odd win streaks in SamSho 1 several times.

...I saw a dude 1 credit Gradius III. Now that was some shit.

I talked to him afterwards. It seemed he developed nervous twitches getting that good.

Yahoo Auctions Japan.
I remember Yahoo Auctions before it turned into Ebay. Got lots of great stuff there too.
It was a great place to find those really large arcade posters.
When the chain arcades cycled out their games you could find a lot of that promotional stuff there.

The game center re-sell shops back then were just junk yards for Arcade OPs and distributors.
A chance to unload old games and old stock.
I remember CPS 1 & 2 games for 3000 yen. MVS 4 slot motherboards for 4000 yen. Sigma Super Guns with sticks for 6000 yen. Strangely, the only place I ever found an English Last Blade 2 MVS mini marquee was there....

I still have so much of this stuff in storage still Japanese recycle shop wrapped with that early 2000's price tag still affixed.
I should probably break out some pictures...

And the thing is, I haven't thought of any of this stuff in YEARS. If It wasn't for SSVS Perfect being rediscovered I would have never have even thought of any of this.

Last edited:

KRONOS

Hardened Shock Trooper
Driving on the left side of the road can be a little daunting at first, right hand turns and such. But over time it does become muscle memory. I've owned a couple cars there over the years, nothing fancy, just k-cars. Something to make the $4 something a gallon back then last a little longer.

I still have TONS of crap from back then....

Outside of the novelty shops, there were no, "retro" games. The stores sold old games to get rid of them. You couldn't count all the Neo Geo CD pads, joysticks, and common games you could find in junk bins in Hard Offs alone for $105 yen. I still got lots of them with those price tags still on them.

And I remember Akihabara before the maids. And before it became a retro game tourist trap. I remember when Traders 1, 2, 3, Super Potato, Mak Japan and the other myriads of specialty shops sold games at rather low prices because customers sold them to the shops cheap because they wanted to get rid of them. You wouldn't get more than 5000 yen selling an AES to these places.

And I remember the foreign tourists who sold games for a living in their home countries. People speaking every different language with entire lists of games to buy, completely clearing out some smaller stores.

I remember when some of the arcades there had 10 yen corners for the some of the most competitive games. Like Super Street 2 Turbo and KoF'98. I'd usually get my ass handed to me cause the people who congregated there were complete masters. Just give them one tiny opening and then game over. But I had a some 30min odd win streaks in SamSho 1 several times.

...I saw a dude 1 credit Gradius III. Now that was some shit.

I talked to him afterwards. It seemed he developed nervous twitches getting that good.

Yahoo Auctions Japan.
I remember Yahoo Auctions before it turned into Ebay. Got lots of great stuff there too.
It was a great place to find those really large arcade posters.
When the chain arcades cycled out their games you could find a lot of that promotional stuff there.

The game center re-sell shops back then were just junk yards for Arcade OPs and distributors.
A chance to unload old games and old stock.
I remember CPS 1 & 2 games for 3000 yen. MVS 4 slot motherboards for 4000 yen. Sigma Super Guns with sticks for 6000 yen. Strangely, the only place I ever found an English Last Blade 2 MVS mini marquee was there....

I still have so much of this stuff in storage still Japanese recycle shop wrapped with that early 2000's price tag still affixed.
I should probably break out some pictures...

And the thing is, I haven't thought of any of this stuff in YEARS. If It wasn't for SSVS Perfect being rediscovered I would have never have even thought of any of this.

Those are some neat insights into retro gaming of the past in Japan. I really wish I held on to a few more games from when I was there. It totally sucks that prices have gone nuts in the past decade or so. But, it's helping me save $ because there's no way I'd spend that kind cash when I used to get the prices you wrote about in Japan. That shit SPOILED ME. My first trip to Japan was in '99. I came back for work from 2000-2006. Last trip was in '07. How about you?

On a slightly related note to the Samurai Shodown Perfect proto, I posted about 2 more unreleased protos in the unrelated forums just a bit ago for those interested.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
That's good news. We should start a mailing campaign to get LRG to ditch that horrifying Shinkiro Haohmaru and use the good art for the PS4 collector's edition.