Running Atomiswave in a Neo Geo Big Red.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
SO I am looking at acquiring an Atomiswave for to throw a few games in particular into my Big Red (Not as a replacement, just as an alternate). Largely I am interested in Guilty Gear X and Neo Geo Battle Colosseum (Most of the play my cab gets is from somewhat scrubby fighting game lovers, so they'll dig the wide range of SNK characters more than they'll hate on the gameplay).

What I want to know is, aside from something like this will I need anything else to make the Atomiswave compatible to my cab? I know the Atomis uses extra buttons on the Jamma harness much like the Neo, but do they line up with the Neo ones? Anything else I need to be aware of? I'm sure plenty of other people have done this. I have a 4-slot Big red, one of the tall boys.

Bonus question: Is KoF Neowave any good? KoF XI?

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
SO I am looking at acquiring an Atomiswave for to throw a few games in particular into my Big Red (Not as a replacement, just as an alternate). Largely I am interested in Guilty Gear X and Neo Geo Battle Colosseum (Most of the play my cab gets is from somewhat scrubby fighting game lovers, so they'll dig the wide range of SNK characters more than they'll hate on the gameplay).

What I want to know is, aside from something like this will I need anything else to make the Atomiswave compatible to my cab? I know the Atomis uses extra buttons on the Jamma harness much like the Neo, but do they line up with the Neo ones? Anything else I need to be aware of? I'm sure plenty of other people have done this. I have a 4-slot Big red, one of the tall boys.

Bonus question: Is KoF Neowave any good? KoF XI?

Do you really want to drill for a 5th button (assuming it's only got 4)? AW runs 5 buttons directly off the JAMMA edge as you eluded to.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Do you really want to drill for a 5th button (assuming it's only got 4)? AW runs 5 buttons directly off the JAMMA edge as you eluded to.

BAH is NGBC not a 4 button game?? I know GGX is (They didn't add the "Dust" button till Isuka/XX).

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
BAH is NGBC not a 4 button game?? I know GGX is (They didn't add the "Dust" button till Isuka/XX).

I think the 5th button is for tagging in/out. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the AW 5th button has a function in the game.

Edit - ^^ yup. ;)

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Well... Scratch that poorly thought out plan.. Thanks for the heads up guys, I guess I'll have to find some other way to get my kicks.

As far as the Atomiswave, what's you guys' thoughts on the system as a whole? Worth it? Also Tyranix what are those clear shock boxes you have your carts in?

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I bought an AW on a whim about a year ago and don't regret it. Games like Dolphin Blue have a lot of replay value for the kids and I, and I'm a fan of the Rumble Fish series, KOF XI, Hokuto no Ken is great, some dislike the MS6 but I don't mind it. I didn't pay much for my set up but overall, I'm way satisfied. Especially looks great on a high res cab like a Blast City, which is what I play it in. It'll obviously play in a low res cab as well, but yeah, looks aces in a blast via VGA. ;)

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I have no idea.

I think it's a multi-shock box for SNES, GEN, and EA carts???

---

btw, I see guys put Naomi/AW sets in showcase and Big Blues.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
If you run a incompatible mvs mobo on a jamma, you might get your speakers blown.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
You're not gonna be entirely without button 5 if you use a multislot MVS cab. Button 5 connects to pins 26 and E on an atomiswave. On MVS, those are the select buttons. Unfortunately, most MVS cabs only have 1 select button, so only 1 player will have a button 5 :P .

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
i got mine about a year ago and i agree it looks amazing in my blast. i love this mobo!! fotns, kof11, guilty gear x and ngbc are all games i have and i like them. i also have neowave kof and its not that good just get kof11 instead. im sure ill have more games by next year but im loving the ones i have. defiantly go out and get it you will not b dissapointed :)