ROTD, SVC, Matrimelee

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
topher said:
She is a pain.

No problems getting to her at all. I just can't beat her. Can come real close though.

Same with Johan (RoTD).

Sissy is really quite easy if you understand her pattern, I can usually double perfect her when I play.

The trick to fighting Sissy is you have to pick a character who has a nice rising/diagonal attack, like Keith and his Rolling Cannon (QCB-K). All you have to do is never get within a half screen or so of her, because if you do she'll open a chest and have Abubo deliver a devastating punch. If you stay a screens distance away she will almost always release a frog, stay still and wait until she comes in with a dashing drill kick. Right when she is about to connect unleash a Rolling Cannon, it will always hit her, and carry you over the frog, leaving you scratch free.

Just A+B roll back to the corner of the screen opposite Sissy when you hit the ground, rinse and repeat. You should get a perfect every time.

I've done similar tactics using Chinnen's HCF+k Blade Kick and Kanji's Loincloth Snap (Though I had to block the frogs using this method)

Now, on topic- My opnion of Matrimelee is that it is an excellent game, and probably one of the best on the Neo. Sure, it may not be as technical as your average KoF or Garou, but the game has so much soul. From the wild character designs, amazing music, and buttery smooth gameplay, there isn't much not to like about the game.

If you're looking for a fast-paced fighter with a sense of humor and very solid mechanics, you really can't go wrong with Matrimelee. The only complaint I have is that if you're buying it for AES, there is a good chance your cart might suffer from the random reset glitch (mine sure does), and it really is the most frustrating thing in the world (Yes, I've read the thread, yes, I've cleaned my connectors a dozen times over).

As for SvC, I think Grave summed the game up perfectly, you just can't go in comparing it to CvS.

Rage of the Dragon's is a game I haven't managed to play yet, but everything I've seen leads me to believe it is on the same level as Matrimelee. Unless a few mirrored backgrounds is a game breaking issue for you, it looks damn promising.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
SvC can be fun for a few rounds, my friends and I played the game for weeks when it came out, then I bought the Xbox port and sort of dissected its engine over the course of another month or so, by then I had totally lost interest in the game, it's a bit too buggy (or "loose") for my taste. (S)DMs whiff right through your opp even though he's within range and does not block, normal moves connect but do no damage, rush counter fails to count some combo hits, dashing feels stiff, Takuma/Mr Karate and a few other charas are hopelessly overpowered, then there's the problem with Capcom charas and four buttons (I want my medium punches/kicks, dammit). etc.. etc... we've had a lot of threads with all the details about why some people like me don't like SvC, the search function is your friend here.

I won't say SvC is completely FUBAR but it's lightyears away of what could have been the Neo game of the decade.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
DeadPixels said:
Sissy is really quite easy if you understand her pattern, I can usually double perfect her when I play...

The trick to fighting Sissy is you have to pick a character who has a nice rising/diagonal attack, like Keith and his Rolling Cannon (QCB-K)...

Yup, that's the way to do it. She's a real sucker for dp-type moves, and once you figure out the pattern she becomes a real easy lay.

Johann, on the other hand, still gives me nightmares. I know how I'm *supposed* to beat him (do a search in gameplay for all the anti-Johann threads), but no matter how hard I try I can't do it.

BTW

Avoid the PS port of Matrimelee if possible - the whole thing seems rushed and tacky. The new characters are basically palette swaps, and it's the same stages and soundtrack as the Neo-Geo version. Believe it or not, those songs get very tiresome after two games.

Nickn

Swords, Dragons & Big Breasted Women
Well I asked about buying SVC in n-g chat and I thought I was gonna start a riot. Man a lot of hate for this game. This is the first time iv really seen people talking any kind of positive about it. I would still like to get it just cause id like to play SOME part of SF on a cab, even if its via ng mvs and isnt the best. (and minus 2 buttons lol)

This all sounds like a real challenge. Now I can't wait to get Matrimelee....and show that little badass princess how cheap and repetitive I can fight;)

Eventually, I'll probably get all 3. I'm looking for an English Melee home cart currently. Thanks everyone for the great reviews.

@DeadPixels - What's the deal with the random reset glitches? I'm not familiar with this problem. Please shed some light.

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
bighedkingpin said:
@DeadPixels - What's the deal with the random reset glitches? I'm not familiar with this problem. Please shed some light.

For some reason many of the carts suffer from a glitch that will strike randomly, causing your game to reset. Though I've seen it happen mid-match before, it usually occurs during the character select screen. I would say my cart experiences this problem 70% of the time, and it was purchased new from the Neo Store.

Most people attribute this problem to some oily residue that supposedly coated the contacts of the carts during the manufacturing process, and say that a good cleaning of the contacts will get your cart working fine. However, I've cleaned my cart quite a few times and experienced no results, and a coating of oily residue was never evident on my cartridge.

If you run a search for Matrimelee on the forums I'm sure you'll find a few results on this topic.

However, as backwards as this may sound, don't let my problem stop you from buying this game.

Also, I have to mention, if you have a US console, and no unibios, the soundtrack will be greatly inferior to the Japanese one. This may not sound like a big deal, but the Japanese soundtrack is one of the biggest draws to this game.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
DeadPixels said:
Also, I have to mention, if you have a US console, and no unibios, the soundtrack will be greatly inferior to the Japanese one. This may not sound like a big deal, but the Japanese soundtrack is one of the biggest draws to this game.

Indeed! I had forgotten about that. If you do have the uni-bios though it's easily fixed by putting it into Japanese mode and you can still get Engrish text.

Kaz

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
electricgrave said:
an Editor's worst nightmare

Ha, in other words, you'd be a writer — the bane of any editor's existence. :)

Anyways, of the three, I've only got SVC, and I agree with the idea that it's not horrible or anything, but I did get quite bored of it after a relatively short amount of time. I'd say it's mostly a novelty, with its conservative-yet-zany roster. All in all, it is a letdown, but like Taku points out, hardly worthless. Too bad you only have an AES, 'cause it's not very expensive on MVS anymore.

I tell ya though. All this talk of Matrimelee makes me want to go back and buy it. I thought I was done collecting MVS games... Should've known I'd want to get more some time though. :D

HeartlessNinny said:
Too bad you only have an AES, 'cause it's not very expensive on MVS anymore.

I'm not mad at the current prices. In 1993 I paid something like $175 each for games like FFS and SS1. Then I got the newly released SS2 for a whopping $205 at a store in San Diego. Not the wisest investments but I wouldn't give up having played those games when they were new for anything. Right now I can pick up a never played copy of SVC from the Neo Store for $185 (sounds reasonable) and I totally would do that today if this thread hadn't convinced me to make Matrimelee my next Neo purchase. I'm on the hunt....

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
HeartlessNinny said:
Ha, in other words, you'd be a writer — the bane of any editor's existence. :)

Anyways, of the three, I've only got SVC, and I agree with the idea that it's not horrible or anything, but I did get quite bored of it after a relatively short amount of time. I'd say it's mostly a novelty, with its conservative-yet-zany roster. All in all, it is a letdown, but like Taku points out, hardly worthless. Too bad you only have an AES, 'cause it's not very expensive on MVS anymore.

I tell ya though. All this talk of Matrimelee makes me want to go back and buy it. I thought I was done collecting MVS games... Should've known I'd want to get more some time though. :D
More like the bread & butter rather than the bane.;)

SVC is awsome period! It's fun to play crapcom characters on the Neo and their sprites are quite nice to look at. Yeah it's still a novelty, but a good one at that.

Matrimelee is the shit stains! I mean is awsome possum!

Now to all those NGH owners; I use to be part of the team, but I sold out and went the MVS route, best move I ever made, not only 'cause I have 6 times over the amount of carts I had during my console days, but also 'cause when I was a kid I was dreaming of having a cab at home and all I had to settle for was a console, so now I'm living one of my many wacky childhood dreams and guess what? It's a win/win situation on every single aspect of the spectrum.

Neo Geo Home System is a novelty, MVS is where is at, nothing beats playing the games on a MVS cab, nothing!:emb:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
electricgrave said:
Neo Geo Home System is a novelty, MVS is where is at, nothing beats playing the games on a MVS cab, nothing!:emb:

well i have 1 mvs 1 slot cab and 1 NGH system and the last one is where i spent the most time.i like to play some shooters,super sidekicks and puzzle games on the cab.but i love the NGH.wich leads to both versions off some games.and when comes to fighting and slugs i do prefer my couch or puf.
and when i was a kid,even going to the arcades every afternoon,what i always dreamed off, was owning a NGH.and to me nothing beats that.not even MVS.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Professor Denim said:
well i have 1 mvs 1 slot cab and 1 NGH system and the last one is where i spent the most time.i like to play some shooters,super sidekicks and puzzle games on the cab.but i love the NGH.wich leads to both versions off some games.and when comes to fighting and slugs i do prefer my couch or puf.
and when i was a kid,even going to the arcades every afternoon,what i always dreamed off, was owning a NGH.and to me nothing beats that.not even MVS.
Well that's weird, I had a NGH when I was a kid and what I allways wanted was the cab, but my parents couldn't understand. I guess everybody has their degree of dreaming. BTW if I want to lay back I can still do it with my consolized 2 slot, I got rid of all my NGH stuff, so I don't need 2 versions of anything even though I have some MVS doubles, but not by choice. I also have to add that I love the Neo CD, but I mostly use it as a jukebox more than anything else, in other words another novelty.:annoyed:

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
I have SVC; I've played Matrimelee, but I have no idea about ROTD.

SVC is a wonderful game in my opinion, hence me shelling out the bucks for the AES cart when it was new. It's actually one of my 5 favorite fighters on the AES. Of course, there will be a lot of dissent to that, but like I said, this is just my opinion.

Matrimelee is a decent fighter, but I can only recommend it if you've already gone through the huge list of A-list fighters on the Neo and/or are looking for something that's a bit of a change a pace and different than your typical fighter, which it is somewhat.

Yeah, I'm in that mood. Need for something new. I've been through all the KOF, FF, SS, AOF & WH games. I'm a huge fan, but would like some of the more abnormal fighters available like Galaxy Fight, Gowcaizer, Melee of course and Waku Waku 7 (I used to love the Ranma 1/2 fighters on the Super Famicom). And believe it or not, I still don't have a LB cart, although I'm aware of how great the games are and will have them soon I hope.

electricgrave said:
Neo Geo Home System is a novelty, MVS is where is at, nothing beats playing the games on a MVS cab, nothing!

I have been looking around my area for a nice Super Neo 29 but haven't had any luck. I'd drive a few hundred miles for pick-up but I don't want it shipped. Most I have seen have been scratched/beat up and discolored and I'd kind of like one in better condition. Considering they run about what I could pick up a ROTD home cart for, I think it's a smart choice. The only problem is there'd be kids trying to get at it all the time.:eek_2:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
DeadPixels said:
Sissy is really quite easy ... snip

Thanks, I plan on running through this morning after work. Coffee & Matrimelee.

For all those that haven't played ROTD, it really is a pretty good game -- just not super deep. This can be a good thing as it is easy as all hell to learn to play and wall juggles & combos are easy for anyone (friends) to get into. I don't know if it's worth the AES price tag though -- 35$ for my MVS copy.

my problem with single player ROTD

Get opponent close to wall using Jimmy with @ least POW LVL 1
:C: :D: (to air)wall juggle, LVL2 or 1 super, wall juggle :C: :D: (to air) LVL 2 or 1 super
Opponent @ about or less then 1/4 life (depending if you have the POW stock for 2 LVL2 combos
Finish off opponent 1

Same thing on other side of screen for next opponent.
Repeat for all walled levels + Abobo
Get ass kicked by Johan

Repeat for all chars.

Now when you show someone that isn't into fighting games much this combo, they get excited and want to play.

Anyway, same formula works for pretty much all chars, just using Jimmy as an example as he is just bad ass.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
bighedkingpin said:
(I used to love the Ranma 1/2 fighters on the Super Famicom).
Then you're the kind of person who will appreciate Matrimelee.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Neo Alec said:
Then you're the kind of person who will appreciate Matrimelee.

QFT

This brought back found memories of renting the hell out of Ranma back as a teen. Never did find it for sale back when I was looking though.

Kim Kaphwan

Member,
20 Year Member
SvC Chaos has issues with the gameplay. Majority of the time it's the bad hit detection, front guard stepping, and broken characters (Geese & Zero). But it has great replay value in 1 player mode.

Matrimelee has solid gameplay with a great soundtrack to boot.

Rage of the Dragons is mixed. The game itself is very noob friendly, but has tons of issues with the gameplay. Kang and Alice are probably the best characters in the game for their infinites. The soundtrack is real good, seeing on how Noise Factory did the music (same with Matrimelee). The problem with ROTD is the gameplay focuses heavly on combos, or should I say wall bounce combos. So it kinda gets repetitive after awhile. Other than that, it's a very fun game on 2 player mode.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
i own Matrimelee AES Jap,so wich are the differences to the US cart?just in the music?
anything else?

DeadPixels

Beast Buster
There is no difference with the carts, the issue revolves around what bios you have. If you're playing on a US system, the US or JP version of Matrimelee will both have the inferior soundtrack. JP system or Unibios is the only way around this issue.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Matrimelee by far. There is nothing better than the Kanji fart super.