Roker plays the Sega Saturn (various early impressions)

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I bought my first Sega Saturn around the time it launched and then it sat around unused and boxed in my closet until I sold it on eBay a few years later, just as eBay was starting to become a thing (I think the buyer sent me a money order).

The 2nd one I purchased was in the early days of my membership here at ng.com. I think I got it from another forum where the guy was just basically giving them away for 25 shipped with controllers and a random shitty game. I paid him another 20 on top to mod it. I bought into the hype here and maybe my expectations were a bit too high but overall I walked away disappointed. I sold it with no remorse and became an infamous hater of the system.

So now, in 2021. I purchased my 3rd one. Partialy spurred by members here urging me to give it another try and also because the ODEs options became more readily available. So I ripped out the CD rom drive and installed a Fenir. I have 150 games loaded on that sonuvabitch.

Anyway, I will add to this list as I go along. Here are some impressions and quick reviews so far:

Batman Forever: The Arcade Game: Oh my god this game is horrible but in a so bad it's good sort of way. If you enjoy 90s digitized crapfests then you might like this. I actually had fun. Not a Saturn exclusive but I the game was made on the ST-V platform. Best way to play this horrible game.

Batsugun: If there was reason to give this system another chance, it was for this game. The Special version on this disc is a lot of fun, though I do feel I'm over reliant on bombs. Overall great (final?) effort by Toaplan. I believe this team went on to start Cave.

Battle Garegga: excellent port. If you weren't a fan of the game in the first place this port isn't going to change your mind. If you know what to expect, you'll be pleasantly surprised at the accuracy of the port. It has a good arranged soundtrack too but I prefer the original.

Capcom Fighting Games: You should know what to expect by now. They play and look great. Nothing new or crazy to say here. The tag games (xmen vs sf, marvel vs. sf) are better on the platform, but I feel like I've been playing these games for too long to be wowed by anything anymore. Not to leave on a bad note. SFA 1, 2, 2 gold, 3 are all lots of fun. In fact all these games are as good as you can expect. I probably won't update this.

Daytona USA (reg and CCE): I've heard from some people and youtube reviewers that they prefer this over the Dreamcast version ... yeah, ok. I like the extended version of the theme song. That's a lot of fun, but this version is just so lackluster in the graphics department especially with the superior Dreamcast version available. They say the Dreamcast version controls are touchy, I don't agree with that, but even if that were true you can adjust and learn to play it like a pro like me! PASS on this one.

Die Hard Arcade/Dynamite Deku: I prefer the sequel on the Dreamcast in every way (Dynamite Cop!/Dynamite Deku 2), but this is still fun. This is an ok game, pretty much only for fans. Skip to the Dreamcast version if you have a Dreamcast. Side Note: even though I have the US ISO, for some reason the quicktime events are still in Japanese. Anyone know why that is?

Elevator Action 2: same as above, also one of my favorite action games of all time.

G-Vector: It has that lock-on feature that seemed to be popular back then, but I couldn't get into this. Music is horrible. Gameplay is boring. pass.

Galactic Attack/Layer Section: Enjoyable shmup. It has that lock-on gimmick that's easy to learn and it's pretty straight forward and done well. I wouldn't say it'll be on my top 10 list or anything, but I'll come back to this for sure.

Groove on Fight: Pretty dang good. I don't think I burned a copy of this back in the day. I'm having a lot of fun with it. Good animation and great character design. I'm still learning the tag attack mechanic, but I think I prefer this over the Matrimelee and Power Instinct releases. I like the color palette on display here. Reminds me of that Fallen Angels game.

Guardian Heroes: Still not feeling it. It gets so crowded on the screen that I end up getting confused half the time and start mashing buttons. The plane shifting seems dumb so far. I don't think this game will ever click with me and while I like some Treasure games, I don't think they're immune from making shit games. Should I try again?

Hyper Duel: I seem to have more fun with this game when I pretend you can't turn into a giant hitbox mech. I'm not sure I like that mechanic. For the time being I'm going to say this game is less than stellar. I'll give it a shot again because if you play it straight forward, it's actually fun.

Kyuukyoku Tiger II Plus: Not feeling it so far. Kind of disappointing being that I love the Genesis/PC Engine ports of the original. I might have to give it more time. I will say the Arrange mode tries to keep things interesting with dialogue and cutscenes, but it's in Japanese and for a shmup, probably not necessary. I'm on the side of "meh" with this one.

Nekketsu Oyako: Fun beat'em up. There aren't a of beat'em ups on the platform but I've had fun so far. The characters have enough variety to warrant multiple playthroughs and the levels keep things interesting (for the genre that is). Good music too.

Ninkuu - Tsuyokina Yatsura no Daigekito: Name just rolls off the tongue. Another one of those 2D sprites over 3D background games. It has this cool anime look and the characters themselves are interesting but as good as they look the game is really choppy. I think if it were smoother with the animation I'd play it more, but as it stands, it's just one of those obscure games to show to your friends and maybe mess around with for 5 mins. Pass.

Shining Force III (Scenario 1): I really love 1 and 2 on the Genesis. I'm not even a strategy game type fan but those games are exceptions to the rule. I almost bought an Everdrive Pro just to play the CD version. Some enthusiasts translated the other scenarios and retranslated the original Shining Force III. That's pretty wicked ... however my impressions are sort of incomplete so far. I'm not a fan of having to rotate the camera constantly to get around town. I will have to come back to this game. Undecided.

Update: Spent another hour on this and I have to say it plays just like the old ones BUT I like how the "board" was laid in the other games. I think 2D is more suited (or a straight up overhead view) for strategy games. Again, this isn't my usual genre so I might not have the best frame of reference. Overall though, I'm coming back for more and I like the 2D sprites over the 3D environment and the battles themselves look nice in a clean 3D way. It is a lot more wordy than the other entries.​

Shinobi Legions: Like Batman Forever, a relic of that time in the 90s when digitized graphics were popular, however, this game is a lot more fun. It plays well and has some satisfying graphics when it comes to slashing enemies. The level design is so-so and while I have enjoyed my time with this one so far, it's not anywhere near a contender vs. the 16 bit/arcade iterations but I digress, give it a shot!

SNK ports: KOF 95, RBS, etc. These seem straight forward. The loading between the rounds can be annoying even with an ODE, but if you don't have original Neo hardware and you don't have access to the PS2 compilations, this is a good way to play these games. Not perfect, but very competent ports.

Fighter's History Dynamite: I think this is a port of the Neo Geo game. I dunno, never played that either. Another one of those broken fighting games that's fun to mess with but I can't take serious.​
World Heroes Perfect: I like how quick you can reset and start a new game. Not sure if it's the ODE or good programming. It's a good entry in the series but I prefer 2 and Jet over this.​

I'm still in the process of playing through these games, but so far, not so bad. Maybe I was a little rough on this system back then. The price of software is pretty much getting to a point that it makes more sense to go with an ODE solution. Even back when I bought my 2nd one prices were already shooting up. Any comments/tips/insults would be appreciated. Have a game you think I should try? Let me know.

Update 4/18: Played some more games and made an update to Shining Force. I downloaded some of the games recommended here. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Give these a try:

Sengoku Blade
Silhouette Mirage
Thunderforce V
Astra Superstars
Soukyugurenati
Street Fighter Zero 3 and Vampire Savior, these ports are mind blowing
Grandia there is a really good translation out there that shits all over the US PS1 version
Also SOTN is different enough it's worth a play

Also never was able to get into Guardian Heroes

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I'm also not a big fan of Guardian Heroes.

The Capcom fighters are pretty damn good too. Darkstalkers, Marvel Vs Series, Street Fighter's, etc. The PS ports aren't so great.

Blast Wind is another shtmup you might want to check out.

As great of a console that the Saturn is, I never felt the need to hold on to it. Outside of a few shtmups that still are exclusive to the Saturn there just wasn't enough there. Same way I feel about the Dreamcast.

The fighting games were always my cup of tea and owning Cps2, Neo, and Ps2 already was enough for me.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I too have a Fenrir (another thing Roker and I share outside his mom) and am enjoying it. Some days I think the Saturn could be my island system...
Sengoku Blade as mentioned is a good one, I also like Gekirindan. Cotton can be of some fun as well as Rainbow Island (Rokers bed)...

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I have every one of the games you guys listed already downloaded. Just a matter of getting around to them. I did fire up some Blast Wind and it was fun.

I'm going to check out the Capcom games (of course) but I'm sorta sick of CPS1/2 games. I feel like I've been playing them now for 20+ years or something (wait, I have been!). I'm sure they're fine, but the PS1 ports of SF Alpha weren't as bad as people made them out to be from what I read. The PS1 handled 2D better than people give it credit for. I think the Saturn has the edge with the Marvel/X-Men games though. I'll get around to it eventually, but it's not like you guys don't know what to expect.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Here's a few recommendations from the ST-V that got Saturn "ports" that I think are worth a try.

Puzzle & Action: Sando-R
Purikura Daisakusen
Cotton 2/Cotton Boomerang

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I have every one of the games you guys listed already downloaded. Just a matter of getting around to them. I did fire up some Blast Wind and it was fun.

I'm going to check out the Capcom games (of course) but I'm sorta sick of CPS1/2 games. I feel like I've been playing them now for 20+ years or something (wait, I have been!). I'm sure they're fine, but the PS1 ports of SF Alpha weren't as bad as people made them out to be from what I read. The PS1 handled 2D better than people give it credit for. I think the Saturn has the edge with the Marvel/X-Men games though. I'll get around to it eventually, but it's not like you guys don't know what to expect.
I don't notice a real difference between the PS1 port of Vampire vs the Saturn port . I'm not used to the literal arcade version or anything though. But I grew up playing the PS1 port and the Saturn did not seem remarkably any better to me, I'm sure it is though for people who know better

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I imagine roker eagerly popping in these games and playing them 10 minutes each so he can waddle back here and tell us his opinions on old video games.

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
My favorite games to play were
Vampire Savior
Guardian Heroes
Soukyugurentai
Burning Rangers
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Dungeons and Dragons collection
And many more
will hope they make a Saturn mini someday.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
A game I'm fond of on the Saturn that nobody talks about is Three Dirty Dwarves, for the low cost of free give I'd it a whirl

Also joining the chorus of not clicking with Guardian Heroes. I wanted to like it so bad but there's something about it that I could never get into

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Also, one of my favorites that no one mentioned: Bulk Slash.

That's a Saturn must play IMO.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Dungeons and Dragons is an excellent port. Also a favorite for me was always Darius Garden and Galactic Attack

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior

Bulk has been on my wanted list for over 3 years now. I get close but things come up. Really want that game. As for the Rokers post I own all of those except elevator action returns which has the same problem with me as Bulk Slash. I think Battle Garegga is the best vert and Hyper duel is the best Hori.

X men vs street fighter is my favorite game on the system and I play RBS on the saturn more than anything else. Imagefight/X multiply is one compilation that is underlooked. Gun frontier too. Rabbit and Sonic Council are nice to try out if you liked groove on fight. I liked its rendition of Tetris plus with the little guy walking on the blocks as you clear them. And a saturn collection isn't complete without Saturn Bomberman and Megaman x4.

I like the rest of you don't care for gaurdian heroes either. Kinda trips me out that people here share uncommon opinions with me like that one. A beatem up like hot blooded family or dungeons is much better.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I like the rest of you don't care for gaurdian heroes either. Kinda trips me out that people here share uncommon opinions with me like that one. A beatem up like hot blooded family or dungeons is much better.
Oh yea, speaking of which, I heard that the Nekketsu Oyako (Hot Blooded Family) for Saturn is the true one to own. ASID here on the forum told me that the combo system is better, compared to the PSX version.

I don't know first-hand, but thought it would be good info for the thread

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Oh yea, speaking of which, I heard that the Nekketsu Oyako (Hot Blooded Family) for Saturn is the true one to own. ASID here on the forum told me that the combo system is better, compared to the PSX version.

The child characters can't use the beer powerup and it has octopuses(octopi?) With boxing gloves as enemies. I have a really fun time everytime I boot it up.

Also If I had access to emulation I'd be playing Super Tempo, Tryrush deppy and the Saturn version of Liquid kids. All cute platformers worth millions that I can't ever see myself buying.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
Burning rangers.
Panzer dragoon zwei was cool, I've never been in an income bracket high enough to get panzer dragoon saga. Probably one of my few video gaming regrets.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I haven't played Daytona USA on Dreamcast yet but I cannot play the original Daytona USA after playing CCE. There are graphics improvements for one and also the size of the display you play on will determine whether the game looks any good. Sega Rally has the same issue for me.

For a recommendation of something to not play is World Advanced Daisenryaku. The main issues I have for this is the game loads every scene from CD, as each action is just a cutscene. Also it is very loud using this game for whatever reason. Another issue I had is that the text is hard to read in the UI. I was running on SCART/Component so that shouldn't have been an issue but the text was so hard to make out that I couldn't even attempt to do a translation. Anyways, you may even think that most people wouldn't even bother with any Daisenryaku game due to them being a war game, the people who are into those are quite niche. I personally got bored of always wanting to try the games everyone talks about and see what the ones no one ever talks about were like.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Bulk Slash is startlingly good. For a system that had such a bad rep for 3D it's a heck of an argument against said perception.

Others I'd suggest trying that I don't think have been mentioned yet:
-Super Tempo (like Tempo but actually good)
-Lunacy (it's just so weird)
-Powerslave (best FPS on the system by quite a bit IMO)
-Night Striker S (really fun Super Scaler very similar to Space Harrier)
-Tryrush Deppy (fun platformer, nice graphics and some interesting mechanics)

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Shining the Holy Ark
Deep Fear
Worms

Neo_Mike_81

King's Dry Cleaner
Princess Crown had nice 2d graphics.
Shinrei jusatsushi taromaru is a personal favorite aswell, always wanted to play Shinobi X and Bulk Slash I thought Elevator action returns was a great game along with Hanagumi raiden columns and Pocket fighter. Samurai spirits 4 and Real bout special were my favorite SNK ports.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I imagine roker eagerly popping in these games and playing them 10 minutes each so he can waddle back here and tell us his opinions on old video games.

Hahahaha!

Good memory!

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Updated the first post, you dollfuckers. I'm still going through some of the games recommended here. I'll post once I feel it can be reviewed. Weather has been shitty but I guess that gives me more time to play games (but less time to cycle around). Hope everyone is doing well. Enjoy!

mhell06

n00b
Nice to hear some Exhume love. One of my favorites on the dystem. Brought on launch day due to SSM hype and wasn't dissapointed.

Personally I think Guardian Heroes is great. A bit repetitive maybe, but some very cool ideas and art design. I'm very nostolgic for it though.

Still on the fence if I should buy power instinct. Cool to hear you like it, just not sure what I should pay for it.