RGB Supergun: Make it your own or... where to buy one?

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
i got my Vogatek today, those those things are GREAT!

couldn't be happier ;))

barrow

n00b
Thought I'd bump this old thread.

Before joining here I did a lot of lurking on the shmups forum and here looking for supergun information. Thought long and hard about importing one from Japan, watched eBay, looked at various sites that offer them, I probably read every mention of the word supergun on the Internet...multiple times.

Excited to say that I finally decided to contact Xian Xi about him making me one! I have to hand it to him, he was really patient with me. A lot of back and forth answering my noobish questions and making sure that we're on the same page. Ended up placing an order with him, can't wait to take arcade ownership beyond MVS.

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
I've begun some supergun research too, the custom stuff out there really runs the gamut in fit-and-finish. Ideally I'd love to find something like:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44069

But I'm not finding anything with a built-in power supply. Is that unusual to include/purposely left out for some reason?

I've had one build from Mike (RGB) lately. Waiting for it to arrive

13035803184_a54fc576ec_c.jpg

13035813574_2f0932e01f_c.jpg

13035588933_d0f83b935b_c.jpg

13035599813_14fbc2571c_c.jpg

Mine is pretty simple. Doesn't include a scaler inside (going with an XRGB Mini instead) and has a strong power supply inside

Xian Xi is also top if you are in the US. He's modded a Neo Geo AES for me which was a beauty :)

Last edited:

jessiewonka

New Challenger
Is there another way I can see the pics? I'm new and still pretty locked down. :eye:

Yeah I don't need a scaler either, also using a mini. But built-in power would be nice and tidy. Who made yours -- I assume he and Xian Xi build to order these things.

Edit: Actually now I can see it. So that's the same guy from the Shmup forum build right?

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I've had one build from Matt lately. Waiting for it to arrive

Mine is pretty simple. Doesn't include a scaler inside (going with an XRGB Mini instead) and has a strong power supply inside

Xian Xi is also top if you are in the US. He's modded a Neo Geo AES for me which was a beauty :)

Do you mind saying how much did this cost you?

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Id be interested in hearing a price too. I was going to go neo cab route. But I think ill go super gun for now. Space and work space is a big issue for me right now. Thought I was going to move but am stuck in this small town home for now. If anyone makes superguns feel free to shoot me a pm with pricing. I'll mainly be playing mvs 1 slot and cps2. Since I'm going this route ill be in search of a nice CRT tv. Doubt ill be lucky enough to source a pvm

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If you have the room for a cab, always get a cab.

jessiewonka

New Challenger
If you have the room for a cab, always get a cab.

I weep with jealous joy when I see all these folks with huge living rooms, spare bedrooms, glorious basements.

Perhaps there's a cab large enough to sleep in?

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Yeah, I thought I was going to have room for a cab but it seems to be a no go. And I don't know how long until I have the space. I'll be doing my research on building a sg tonight.

RGB

n00b
Hey guys, the supergun cost 250 EU, but I won't be making any more for a good while if at all. The bottom of the Supergun is nothing spectacular, just screws and air vents.

jessiewonka

New Challenger
Hey guys, the supergun cost 250 EU, but I won't be making any more for a good while if at all. The bottom of the Supergun is nothing spectacular, just screws and air vents.

Is it too time consuming?

RGB

n00b
Yeah, and not really cost-effective at this point. I designed and produced a few custom PCBs for this supergun (along with my own Sega Saturn joypads decoder). It makes the work easier and tidier, but for one-offs like this supergun (and the other one from the shmups forum) it's really an overkill.

Better pics of an almost identical unit - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=988235#p988235

jessiewonka

New Challenger
Yeah, and not really cost-effective at this point. I designed and produced a few custom PCBs for this supergun (along with my own Sega Saturn joypads decoder). It makes the work easier and tidier, but for one-offs like this supergun (and the other one from the shmups forum) it's really an overkill.

Better pics of an almost identical unit - http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?p=988235#p988235

Beauty. Hope you'll consider it again.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member

Hey RGB! As I've always mentioned on shmups, I love your work. Sorry to hear it's not worth the time/$$$ for you, they are beautiful superguns.
May I ask, where are you sourcing those enclosures? They're nicer than anything we have around here, and I'm in the middle of putting together a no-frills supergun and would love to put it in a enclosure like that.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

I totally agree, making superguns is more a labour of love than anything for me. A lot of labor involved, more than people think.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I've had one build from Mike (RGB) lately. Waiting for it to arrive

View attachment 12401

View attachment 12402

View attachment 12403

View attachment 12404

Nice! Mike made mine a few months ago, very clean build. Great guy to deal with he even made me a custom cable to get my arcade monitor in a box working with my supergun a few weeks ago, now I have the perfect supergun setup. I didn't want anything too fancy out of my supergun just saturn inputs and output composite, S-video and RGB scart. I think it was about $400 USD including express shipping and insurance

807bfc3098190a18423aaad8fabe0319.jpg

2ec520e59ad90fa4660c9d78f5d2e866.jpg

barrow

n00b
Thought I'd bump this old thread.

Before joining here I did a lot of lurking on the shmups forum and here looking for supergun information. Thought long and hard about importing one from Japan, watched eBay, looked at various sites that offer them, I probably read every mention of the word supergun on the Internet...multiple times.

Excited to say that I finally decided to contact Xian Xi about him making me one! I have to hand it to him, he was really patient with me. A lot of back and forth answering my noobish questions and making sure that we're on the same page. Ended up placing an order with him, can't wait to take arcade ownership beyond MVS.

Wanted to post a follow-up. Figured I'd do it here instead of the feedback forum. Xian Xi doesn't need more positive feedback in his thread, especially from a noob like me. Hell, the reason I went with Xian Xi to begin with is because of his good reputation all over the Internet.

After placing my order he kept in contact to make sure I was updated on everything, when the parts arrived, where he was on the build, etc. There was never any question about what was going on, I was constantly in the loop. I've been busy so I just got around to unboxing the unit and firing up my first JAMMA board on it. Goddamn, this thing feels so well-constructed. I love it, it's going to really open new doors for me in arcade collecting.

Thanks James! Can't recommend a JMX supergun enough to anyone interested in one. Not only for the final product you'll receive but the entire process.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
You should toss us a pic of it, pictures are always good. Congrats on getting ur first supergun

fredjss

n00b
But if you need to connect to NTSC or PAL TV (in my case, I have a good image but not in color), what I can do?

kahel

Armored Scrum Object
Xian Xi from JNX can make a Supergun with any output you want ... Composite / S-Video / Component / RGB / VGA / HDMI . But it does affect the price , having HDMI is more expensive then only RGB.