RGB Supergun: Make it your own or... where to buy one?

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
Hi guys, I'm selling many games from my AES collection and I might go the MVS route.
I thought of buying a converter, then a CMVS, and I finally thought to get myself a supergun...
I don't want to spend much, is it worth making one by yourself? Is it hard to get a great result?
I am in Europe so I just need an RGB output.
Please help me and share your experience ;)

Matteo

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
RGB only superguns are piss easy. Almost nothing to them.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
thank you for the replies!
but won't ATX power supply affect video quality (i read about it)?
also maybe there won't be test/service buttons i fear, and what about CPS games? kick harness . . .:eye:

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
this is a CMVS, not a supergun but still looks very nice! what do you think about it?
overpriced?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
thank you for the replies!
but won't ATX power supply affect video quality (i read about it)?
also maybe there won't be test/service buttons i fear, and what about CPS games? kick harness . . .:eye:

Only low quality ATX power supplies will affect the video quality. Buy a power supply that is a good brand.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
thank you! ;) do you know if vogatek mk4 works with all the mvs revisions? there are different pinouts right? also some are stereo and others are mono, as far as I know.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
All single slot MVS boards are JAMMA complaint, except for the D button. multi-slot MVS boards add a select button, a different button for the test menu and stereo sound. JAMMA only supports mono so you'll only get one channel.

mikey

Marked Wolf
You can build a supergun a lot cheaper than you can buy one, especially if you are going to be using it with only RGB. There's nothing to it, just adding connectors for joysticks, power, and video/audio output to the jamma connector. Unless you want the look of a professionally made supergun, I wouldn't bother with one.

neoman

Fio's Quartermaster
Has any body got pictures of a set up to a super gun or vogatek supergun to hd tv or pc monitor

purple

Geese's Thug
its easy and fun to build amd cheaper, you just need to know what is required. i can assist you if you want, it will be pleasure :)

note: forgot to tell that some modern hdtv's have overscan issues ( left or right shift ). be sure that your tv is compatible.

Last edited:

mikey

Marked Wolf
This is my supergun. I made it myself, it's nothing spectacular and it's kind of rough, but it works perfectly. It's good making your own because you can do whatever you want to it. I use an old hard drive enclosure power supply because it's compact and provides 5 and 12 volts, but before that I used two DC power supplies because I didn't have an ATX power supply kicking around (hence the two barrel jacks as well). It has a kick harness input on the back above the jamma connector, an NTSC encoder (I'm in Canada), and RGB and audio output for a VGA encoder that I use on all my systems. Like I said, it's rough looking because I've been experimenting a lot with it, but I've been able to do whatever I want to change it up dirt cheap. I may also add a MAC1044 chip to it to add -5 volts in case I need it as well as coin buttons. I'll probably rehouse it eventually and make it look nicer, but this gives you an idea of a homemade one up and running.

SAM_1160.jpg

SAM_1161.jpg

SAM_1163.jpg

purple

Geese's Thug
try ebay, also complete jamma harness would be better if you're going to make supergun with jamma cable, if not you can cut and use wires to solder connections inside of supergun.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On my superguns I use an internal jamma harness and have a jamma extender plug into that. This way you won't wear out the jamma connector on the one in the supergun and all the wear goes to the extender which can be swapped out instantly.

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
i have an old jamma harness with all cables which i have bought many years ago, i could use that with a random pcb, why not... an mvs ;)) maybe the kick harness is already connected, this is cool ^^

Beelay

New Challenger

I actually really like this! I'm basically running the same setup but mine's just open without the case and therefore messy as heck. Thanks for the ideas! Where did you get that case?

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
yes, the project looks great! i love it too
I actually really like this! I'm basically running the same setup but mine's just open without the case and therefore messy as heck. Thanks for the ideas! Where did you get that case?

I was thinking about making a super sculpey enclosure, I have never seen one.

That way you can model it any shape you like, and it is solid plastic when baked

Last edited:

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
You mean like the harness coming out like a ribbon and plugs into the board? I found several arcade boards in my area and want to make supergun for them. So I am a total newb to this.

try ebay, also coyou mplete jamma harness would be better if you're going to make supergun with jamma cable, if not you can cut and use wires to solder connections inside of supergun.

mikey

Marked Wolf

Thanks a lot. The case is just a plastic Hammond enclosure. I like that it has mounting holes in the bottom because if you have a taller board that you want to connect it to (like ninja gaiden or some other dual/stacked board) then you can just use standoffs to support the supergun. That said, you could just make it so the jamma harness is free from the enclosure and have the wires coming out, but superguns with the jamma harness mounted on looked cleaner to me.

I like the idea of making and modeling your own enclosure, but I think I'm too lazy to go that route! You could make some really cool looking stuff if you go that route though.