Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
heh, well they're not helping their sales in this thread.

No, they certainly aren't. But the magazine does look pretty nice. Plenty of members here read it regularly, either by subscription or at the bookstore.

Back in the day, a subscription to NeoGeo Freak, despite its language limitations, was over $120. I think my subscription to Arcadia was also over $120. Not only was the magazine itself expensive, but the cost of shipping had to be applied as well.

However, I will never subscribe to a collectible magazine again, as I had a few arcadias delivered that had creased up spines, bent covers, etc. I'm not expecting mylar bags, but a hint of mint would be nice. As such, I would only buy magazines at the store, where I could pick the best.

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I've just stumbled across this gem of a thread and have only read a couple pages of it. So forgive me if this has been stated before (which I'm sure it has).

First of all, if you think Slug 4 is better than Slug 3, you're fucking retarded.

Secondly, what does it say about a publication when the whole fucking staff gets on a forum to defend an article? It says that they are wholly unprofessional. Maybe the uninitiated would see it as being in touch with their audience, but they would obviously be wrong.

I know how busy publications are, or how busy they should be, anyway. I know that the staff shouldn't have the time to spend all day on a forum defending a piece. Then again, it seems to me that somebody writing a definitive article about a game series should already be familiar enough with that series that they don't have to spend a week playing through the games to get enough (poorly written) material to pad out a feature. Since that clearly isn't the case here, maybe you should get the fuck off and worry about becoming a better writer.

I've never read an issue of Retro Gamer and now I can tell you with plenty of sincerity that I never will. It's obvious to the casual observer that their staff spends more time in petty flame wars than making their publication worth reading.

I don't know who this Stu guy is and I don't care. I'm not worried about how much clout he has in the game or journalism or game journalism industries. When you're wrong, you're wrong. When you can't admit that and you get the whole damn office to argue your case, you all look like assholes.

Now run along and keep looking for Metal Gear characters in your Metal Slug roms.

AirRaid

B. Jenet's Firstmate
1. My opinions on Ghouls 'N Ghosts are king. I know everything. I am God.

2. This thread shows new levels of patheticness on Neo-Geo.com

3. LMAO

G

GhostLop

I feel like I'm fading away along with this thread. I initially joined here to wallow in its filth and now I'm lost at the dying of the light that was the Stugate scandal. When should the next epic flame war be arriving? I mean, sure, I like lots of Neo Geo games, but it's your bitching that sustains me.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I feel like I'm fading away along with this thread. I initially joined here to wallow in its filth and now I'm lost at the dying of the light that was the Stugate scandal. When should the next epic flame war be arriving? I mean, sure, I like lots of Neo Geo games, but it's your bitching that sustains me.

This forum is like a hydra of cocks isn't it?
Chop one down, and two little pricks pop up and take it's place.

For what it's worth, I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of fighting back when someone tries to take the piss out of you. Professionalism be damned.

Shit, if I was a surgeon and some old slag told everybody that I can't perform a quadruple bypass worth a flying fuck......why I'd...
I'd just kick the dust out of that old buzzards cunt and tell her to take her business elsewhere! :cool:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

For what it's worth, I wholeheartedly endorse the idea of fighting back when someone tries to take the piss out of you. Professionalism be damned.

Shit, if I was a surgeon and some old slag told everybody that I can't perform a quadruple bypass worth a flying fuck......why I'd...
I'd just kick the dust out of that old buzzards cunt and tell her to take her business elsewhere! :cool:

The rumours of you being a shit surgeon would still keep on spreading, on the contrary, attacking people who don't agree with you would only speed up this process.

Yeah, it feels good to vent anger but there are more sane and safe ways to do so than biting the hand that feeds you.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member

However, you wouldn't do that if you couldn't perform a quadruple bypass. Don't kid yourself thinking situations aren't measurable.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
The rumours of you being a shit surgeon would still keep on spreading, on the contrary, attacking people who don't agree with you would only speed up this process.

So I forget to spitshine my drywall saw and spatula ONE FUCKING TIME and my career is over for it? :)

Anyway,
On topic I pretty much had my fill of this drama right around the time I read THIS in another thread:

Stuart however strikes me as a piece of garbage in life. He's an asshole period and a total waste of skin.

STEVE wrote this.
The most non-confrontational, PG-13 motherfucker on the forum talking like he wanted to gut this guy with a rusty hook...

Besides rabble-rousing,
His[Stuarts] station in life is to write innocuous little articles for a niche gaming magazine that few of us have ever heard of. Apparently, he also sits in the park and feeds squirrels in his spare time. Sounds like a real fucking monster.

Bobak (being one of the few people who actually read the fucking article) opined that Stu pretty much shit the bed with his little writeup. Everybody else was just here for the +1. And drama.

This was a thread full of self congratulatory back patting, bandwagon jumping, cockjousting, browbeating and hypocrisy...a real piece of fucking shit.

Everyone wanted to one-up the other guy at owning Stu,
And in the end the guy who did it best was Stu himself...but in the guise of "edgeofheaven". :lolz:

Bravo.

On a related note, here are some words I fucking hate because of this thread:

-definitive
-win
-epic
-zombie
-mummy
-united
-kingdom

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
STEVE wrote this.
The most non-confrontational, PG-13 motherfucker on the forum talking like he wanted gut this guy with a rusty hook...

Well... Steve being Steve, he went soft on the guy at first, but when Stu came back with:

RevStu said:
Hey Steve! I hope you get cancer, and that your cancer gets AIDS, and that you and your entire family die of being raped to death by rabid wolves in the middle of a choking chemical fire. Know what else? 9/11 was brilliant. I watched it all on TV and I laughed the whole time.

That was one of the most retarded insults that I've seen, plus it was unwarranted. But from this dumb bastard it was enough to set anyone off.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
On topic I pretty much had my fill of this drama right around the time I read THIS in another thread:

STEVE wrote this.
The most non-confrontational, PG-13 motherfucker on the forum talking like he wanted to gut this guy with a rusty hook...

Besides rabble-rousing,
His[Stuarts] station in life is to write innocuous little articles for a niche gaming magazine that few of us have ever heard of. Apparently, he also sits in the park and feeds squirrels in his spare time. Sounds like a real fucking monster.

Bobak (being one of the few people who actually read the fucking article) opined that Stu pretty much shit the bed with his little writeup. Everybody else was just here for the +1. And drama.

This was a thread full of self congratulatory back patting, bandwagon jumping, cockjousting, browbeating and hypocrisy...a real piece of fucking shit.

Everyone wanted to one-up the other guy at owning Stu,
And in the end the guy who did it best was Stu himself...but in the guise of "edgeofheaven". :lolz:

Bravo.

On a related note, here are some words I fucking hate because of this thread:

-definitive
-win
-epic
-zombie
-mummy
-united
-kingdom

Is this your first day here? :)

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
That was one of the most retarded insults that I've seen, plus it was unwarranted. But from this dumb bastard it was enough to set anyone off.

Oh yeah hahaha....selective memory.

I guess Stu IS a knob.

But I'd just chalk it up to these guys being quaint, well mannered englishmen with dreary lives; no other reason why they would so readily enlist as keyboard paladins on here.

Is this your first day here? :)

Heh, I know eh? Welcome to the internet. =S

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
Well... Steve being Steve, he went soft on the guy at first, but when Stu came back with:

Originally Posted by RevStu
Hey Steve! I hope you get cancer, and that your cancer gets AIDS, and that you and your entire family die of being raped to death by rabid wolves in the middle of a choking chemical fire. Know what else? 9/11 was brilliant. I watched it all on TV and I laughed the whole time.

If he wants to laugh at a tragedy, it's his funeral. Just like his shit persona, he's probably just trying to get a rise out of people. Now if this cuntsmear said that to someone coming out of, lets say.. the 34th Street subway exit, I don't think he'd be breathing right now. Cops would probably assist pedestrians in the ensuing beating as result of his stupid remark.

In his own world, Stu can try to relive the glory days of his past. Lord knows that he has no future. His childish rant on here proved that he's still that little snot that probably got his ass kicked when he was a child. To be honest, I think he's a terrible writer and an all around horrible human being. At the end of the day, Stu is just another idiot that tried to prove a point by getting angry on a video game board.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
she wasn't too pleased... even tho i said I could photoshop the cock shot...

Something about this part right here made me about fall out of my chair- the others made me laugh, too of course (video? unreal, pretty much), but this, this simple little part, goddamn. Classic, truly special.

I don't think I'll forget this post.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

You could just be more direct and tell me how you feel about my postings. I know you only sign on to reinforce your disdain for society with my postings.

*pat self on back*

"nailed it."

aegreatone

Sieger's Squire
damn, read the first few pages and just wow. Most of you folks are some real nerds...but worse, some of you are some dick riders...get off bobak's dick..damn...he comes in disses this guy's article and most of you are just ready to tear into em' just for the fact bobak did it in the first...fucking sheep.

and the proffessional guy...u come on a board filled with neo geo geeks with no lives to start a nerd debate...stop writing on the board, make another article and get paid for it and leave the nerdiness to the good users of neo-geo.com

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
damn, read the first few pages and just wow. Most of you folks are some real nerds...but worse, some of you are some dick riders...get off bobak's dick..damn...he comes in disses this guy's article and most of you are just ready to tear into em' just for the fact bobak did it in the first...fucking sheep.

and the proffessional guy...u come on a board filled with neo geo geeks with no lives to start a nerd debate...stop writing on the board, make another article and get paid for it and leave the nerdiness to the good users of neo-geo.com

STFU,i almost never get this worked up here but STFU if you have nothing to say.I don't care if people like me or not but Stu Campbell really gets on my nerves.I don't use violence but would almost make an exception for him.:very_ang:

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member

Holla

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Aside from some members here who have posted way more than they probably should, as crowds go, the Neo Geo crowd is far from the nerdiest. Sure, they're nerdy, but I can think of so many other hobbies where the online crowd is much worse.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member

1. My opinions on Ghouls 'N Ghosts are king. I know everything. I am God.

2. This thread shows new levels of patheticness on Neo-Geo.com

3. LMAO

I do believe both of you need a swift punch to the junk. I would've used dick, but aegreatone beat it (:D) to death.

AirRaid is...well, I really don't need to say anything that hasn't already been said and covered by better members about that trouser stain.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
AirRaid and agreatone, see the Log Out button in the upper right corner of the ng.com forums? Click it. Thanks.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue

I wish I was smart enough to read two pages of a 40 page thread and just intuit the rest, so I could then editorialize on it for everyone's benefit. :rolleyes:

And anyone who thinks that anyone dumping on Stu is riding Bobak's dick is a fucking moron. Saying Stu is a fucktard is like saying the Sun is warm.

In fact, a lot of people said something to the effect of, "Well, I never read the article, but good goddamn, Stu is a fucking crybaby and a delusional egotist to boot." Yeah. Saying shit like that is clearly dickriding. Right.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier

ogre.jpg

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
You could just be more direct and tell me how you feel about my postings. I know you only sign on to reinforce your disdain for society with my postings.

Maybe I'm just dense, but are you telling me that my posts are just there to piggyback yours whenever they pertain to something I dislike?

I can answer the first question though...I think you're alright.
Can't remember the last time I've had any problems or disagreements with any of your posts...I think one of them was about John McCain in the election thread?

Nothing to get mad or defensive about though.

The hydra of cocks analogy however is an apt one...and it can pretty much apply to any forum out there. I gave that dubious title to this forum only because we cast the first stone.
Maybe it's empathy, but I've been in Stu's situation before.
A scuffle with the biggest personalities/egos on a forum can quickly erupt into a fight with everybody else...by then there's no more heated discussion; just photoshops of your face everywhere and/or people telling you that you're ugly, you suck, you're poor, etc.

So uh,
I guess that's my problem, Wasabi; it was never about sticking up for Stu so much as chastising other members on here for not stepping up their game.

Sorry if this opinion annoys anyone.
You know I'm as quick to apologize as I am to offend. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.