Retro Gamer magazine's terrible Metal Slug feature --reviewed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Good old days- 1993

STU1.png

STU2.png

I used to think it was annoying when Stu would call Americans fat and stupid. But a stud like that can pretty much do whatever he wants in this world. This is an old picture too, he is no doubt even better looking today at 41.

Is owning 36,000 games something to brag about? I mean to anyone over the age of 10.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
'Your sinclair' .. seriously?

Everyone knew the C64 was better, no wonder he has such poor videogame knowledge .. and taste actually.

Well... yeah, the C64 was better than the Speccy in almost any aspect but you gotta admire the love that some developers put into their games. Many of them were nearly unplayable even by early-to-mid-80s standards but stuff like Monty On The Run was actually quite cool.

Still, most of us made the transition from the rubber key calculator to a real computer early enough to stay sane, unlike others who got stuck in the world of single-color sprites, jerky scrolling, 10+ minutes tape load times and abysmal sound and eventually became opinionated vg scribblers.... :smirk:

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
If I had Photoshop I would totally be editing it into a screenshot of Super Mario Bros. 2 right now. Take that, Birdo! :lolz:

Unless Jedah beats me to it, I might be able to throw something together when I make my way home.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Stu has blocked comments on his Twitter page.

I wonder how many of his "positive" replies he gets on his blog are actually him under other names.

You kinda have to feel bad for Stu. He was probably the ultimate loser growing up with no friends, got made fun off 24/7, but by luck he managed to get a rep for writing about games. That's all he has, his only acomplishment in life so he's forced to be an egomaniac over it.

You wear your pride alot like your hair Stu.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Jesus... this thread is still going?

I visited his boards through that one link and all I can say is that he's the very definition of fail. If he can pick up the world up on his shoulders, then by GOD I'll walk by and drop the Earth on him and call it a day.

I seriously need to start

MERC Magazine: Violent Gaming & xXxtreme Lifestyles

because I'm so much cooler than Stu.

:rolleyes:

No. I take that back. I need a new website with a picture of
me shitting on the world, and the toilet paper says "Definitive"
on it with a picture of him.

Where is Chev Chelios when we need him? The next CRANK
movie will be about him trying to find Stu to silence him once
and for all.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Wow, I can't believe this guy. He came back again?!

Clearly things like evidence have no meaning to this man. How do you even talk to someone who will disregard things like fact and logic?

Wait. You don't. Case closed.

Either way, the dual accounts thing is like icing on the cake. Like Tak said, from page one, this guy was the biggest crybaby I'd ever seen, online or off. The rest was just a bonus, really.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well, I've been having a bit of conversation with Stuart over on retro gamer.

I will say that I can not and do not defend his position, I do to some extent understand where he is comming from. I don't agree with how he does things or how things were handled here, but on that I can say the same about some of our members here. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I am just giving my opinion of the matter after more time, thought, and conversation with this fellow.

Though at this point my opinion of the magazine has improved. I do like what I have seen on their forums. It seems really nice to have a place dedicated to being able to discuss your magazine and talk with the writers, editors, and staff, hear their opinions, give your own, leave feed back and even recieve it.

I Don't agree with the way things where done, and I have no opinion on Stuart's work as a writer as I've yet to read it. Though I can say that at this point I do not agree with his sense of humor. That is just my opinion, and I am a bit offended still at some of his comments he has made here.

Though I do hope to hear back from him.
At this point I'll not be signing up for his fan club, but my opinion has changed that I would like to actually read some of his work and experience his style first hand. I also, find myself interested in this magazine and may well go to the next town over an see if I can get myself a copy.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion on matters but seeing as how I stepped in I thought I would at least share.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
if anyone were to post a scan from your magazine, you can be certain that Bobak or myself would quickly remove it.

Even if it was within the realms of American Fair use tho????

Last edited:

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Even putting aside Stu's article for a second, his behavior in this thread has been immature, unprofessional, and shameful. I wouldn't judge RG by Stu's behavior to date. However, I would lose all respect for RG and its staff, were to continue to use Stu after this fiasco.

I wouldn't necessarily construe RG or Darren's silence as condoning Stu's actions, but I would construe them as condoning his actions should they ever use him again. If they don't use him again, I would continue to be a fan of RG. If they ever use him again, I would wish that RG goes the way of the dodo.

Good points. I do agree with you: should Stuart ever get work in RG Magazine again, I would shake my head in disbelief and never buy their magazine again. I'd lose total respect for the mag for supporting such a douche as Stu, especially after this fiasco. Believe it or not, I'm not saying this because I'm vindictive or anything. It's simple: if I were the big cheese at Retro Gamer, I would not want such a disgrace working for my product, plain and simple.

I should write definitive guides that mention MS1 has 5 levels, and get paid for it.

Sounds like a fantastic deal.

haha ... 'definitive'

Scary thing is, it reminds me, I wrote a Metal Slug review for Neo-Geo.com about six or seven years ago. For the Saturn port. Go to the reviews on the main Neo-Geo.com page and you'll find it. In my review it states

----

To sum it up, I was very impressed with this game. It is a joy to play. There are six levels total. Hook up with a buddy and two player action is absolute gaming paradise.

----

LOL. Although I have been writing about games online for nearly a decade now, I don't consider myself by ANY means a "professional game writer" and even I got this SIMPLE fact right. Shame on you, Stu. :shame: on you

For the sake of the historical record, every single post I've made in this forum has been under the name RevStu. Plenty of people were eloquently and intelligently defending the feature against the onslaught of idiocy, I can't imagine why I would have wanted or needed to create one - it's not like I was pulling any punches under my own name. That you've faked a screenshot (or, stretching fairness and the bounds of probability to their limits, that there's been a technical hiccup misassigning an IP address, as someone has already suggested) proves nothing except that you're as malicious as you are stupid. (And wow, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, by embarrassing yourselves with an MS Paint hack job

So thanks, kids

There's really only ONE person who embarrassed himself in this thread, and that sucker is you. Your first post filled with unnecessary swears and insults was merely the inevitable spiral of doom you caught yourself in.

Face it. You expected to wade in here, curse like a drunken sailor, waving your opinions around as if they were fact, recruited some cronies to back you up, created a fake account as extra backup and you expected to "get your way" with your attitude and bully-like antics. What you didn't know, however, was that the denizens here know how to dish it back, and do it far more effectively than you ever could.

You got caught in the act with your hand in the cookie jar, ran back home licking your wounds and now trying to save face with your cronies on your lame ole message board claiming further BS such as photoshop, lol. You thought you could fuck with NG.com (clearly by your first words of "Hello idiots!") and get away with it, get the last word and all that shit. Instead, you got KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT and exposed (again) for the sorry loser that you are.

picture.php

Ouch

NGStuRG.jpg

"Cheerio" THAT, mate!

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
Well, I've been having a bit of conversation with Stuart over on retro gamer.

I will say that I can not and do not defend his position, I do to some extent understand where he is comming from. I don't agree with how he does things or how things were handled here, but on that I can say the same about some of our members here. I'm not trying to offend anyone, I am just giving my opinion of the matter after more time, thought, and conversation with this fellow.

Though at this point my opinion of the magazine has improved. I do like what I have seen on their forums. It seems really nice to have a place dedicated to being able to discuss your magazine and talk with the writers, editors, and staff, hear their opinions, give your own, leave feed back and even recieve it.

I Don't agree with the way things where done, and I have no opinion on Stuart's work as a writer as I've yet to read it. Though I can say that at this point I do not agree with his sense of humor. That is just my opinion, and I am a bit offended still at some of his comments he has made here.

Though I do hope to hear back from him.
At this point I'll not be signing up for his fan club, but my opinion has changed that I would like to actually read some of his work and experience his style first hand. I also, find myself interested in this magazine and may well go to the next town over an see if I can get myself a copy.

I don't expect everyone to agree with my opinion on matters but seeing as how I stepped in I thought I would at least share.

ban plz

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I know it's was two or three pages ago, but in the article he covered 1-7, both NGPC Games, Advance, 3D, Anthology and there's a brief mention of the mobile games.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
He charges his "fans" a monthly fee for the rights to post new topics on his message board. Jesus Christ, nice fucking ego.

Status
Not open for further replies.