Restoring Neo Geo Sticks

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Hey guys, my wife is complaining that one of my Neo Geo sticks is less responsive than the other. Its a little hard to explain, but the way the stick hits the switches feels a little too stiff and doesn't return to neutral as fast so it's throwing off her Magical Drop 3 game.

I've opened it up and gave it a good cleaning and a touch of WD-40, and it's a little better, but not quite as silky smooth as my other stick (which is a little newer...looking, but is the more often used of my two sticks).

Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can better restore my Neo Geo stick? Thanks!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Grease-logo.jpg

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?260007-Guide-How-to-make-your-NGCD-pads-last-FOREVER!!

do the other (oldstyle/hori)sticks have the same parts?

Last edited:

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It may be time for some new microswitches. The switches on one stick may be more worn than the other.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
if the lube doesn't help I'd get new microswitches as well.

But another thing: Anyone know where to get replacement springs for the oldstyle sticks? Mine could use one...

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm willing to bet a Seimitsu part would fit in, the stick itself is very similar to the LS56. I could check a LS56 spring after I get home from my Thanksgiving vacation.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
The AES uses a custom Seimitsu stick that is similar in design to to the LS-30/32. You can use an LS-56 to upgrade the original stick, reusing some of the original mounting hardware and replacing everything else.

Or if you don't want to go that far, you can do as GohanX suggested and just replace the microswitches. A thorough breakdown cleaning and silicone grease re-lube will do wonders for it.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
thanks everyone! i'm going to get some silicone grease this weekend and try that out first. if i'm still winning against my wife, then i'll try replacing the microswitches.

kyosuke75

Mr. Big's Thug
That's cool your wife gets some NG gaming with you. My wife doesn't play videogames.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
make sure to clean off the wd40, stuff isnt good for all the plastic internals. And i suggest this stuff as stick lube. They even sell it in small amounts so you dont have to