"Renegade" returns to be "Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun" after more than thirty years

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
On July 6th of this year the group Stardust Crusaders translated from Japanese the first game that generated the "Kunio-kun" series in the eighties: this translation completely eradicates the version that Taito made at the time for the North American market and brings everything back to the origins.

Unfortunately this translation was only made for the Famicom/NES version, rather than the arcade version, but it's still better than a punch in the face.

EJGMXa5.jpg

Renegade Box Shot for NES - GameFAQs

Romhacking.net:
"In what is hopefully the first in a series of new Nekketsu translations, Pennywise and team presents a new translation of Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun, also known as the first game in the series. It felt a fitting choice.

The project itself was fairly simple as there wasn't a lot of text to translate in the game, but in the course of working on the project, Pennywise teamed up with a talented translator in Tana Elmsley, who is also interested in working on other games in the series.

The next release will either be Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu or the dodgeball game. So stay tuned for future releases".

Stardust Crusaders:
"This project officially began last year when I decided to persue my goal of retranslating all the Nekketsu/Kunio games. Even though there are various translations offical or not, I don't feel like the series has been properly translated consistently across all the games. This game felt appropriate as the first translation since it's the first game in the series as well. It was also fairly simple to do as there was only minimal text. Anyhow, it was through this project that I found the translator that I can hopefully work with to translate other games in the series".

I92SI5C.png
vI4nPFB.png
6cPsxGq.png
uf8w9pG.png
siqIGMA.png

To download it for free go here → Translations - Renegade - Romhacking.net.

In 2006 Vice Translations had already translated this game into English, but their title 'River City Ransom Zero' was based on the nomenclature used abroad and therefore the reference to the protagonist Kunio's proper name was completely lost.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
In 2006 Vice Translations had already translated this game into English, but their title 'River City Ransom Zero' was based on the nomenclature used abroad and therefore the reference to the protagonist Kunio's proper name was completely lost.
LMBO Well I've just had my autism quota filled for the month.

"REEEEEE his name is really Kunio-kun you imbeciles, the whole point of the game is lost on you now!"

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I'm glad they fixed that flaw, now I can enjoy that shitty game as its supposed to be enjoyed.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
this translation completely eradicates the version that Taito made at the time

It's like we're supposed to cheer on them and hate Taito for the crime of choosing how they want to present their game to the west, lmao. Why are fan translators so autistic?

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
LMBO Well I've just had my autism quota filled for the month.

"REEEEEE his name is really Kunio-kun you imbeciles, the whole point of the game is lost on you now!"
2SSGefS.png

It's like we're supposed to cheer on them and hate Taito for the crime of choosing how they want to present their game to the west, lmao. Why are fan translators so autistic?
It's true that I wrote "this translation completely eradicates the version that Taito made at the time for the North American market and brings everything back to the origins.", but that doesn't mean that now all digital copies of "Renegade" they will really be completely deleted from the web.

If you like this warped version for marketing purposes, go ahead and keep playing it, while those who are interested in what Technos really created in the eighties, will pass instead for this epurated version.

The discourse is identical for those who like apocryphal adaptations of anime aired on our televisions during the twentieth century and those who instead really want to see the authentic product created by the Japanese through the faithfully subtitled episodes.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
It's true that I wrote "this translation completely eradicates the version that Taito made at the time for the North American market and brings everything back to the origins.", but that doesn't mean that now all digital copies of "Renegade" they will really be completely deleted from the web.

If you like this warped version for marketing purposes, go ahead and keep playing it, while those who are interested in what Technos really created in the eighties, will pass instead for this epurated version.

The discourse is identical for those who like apocryphal adaptations of anime aired on our televisions during the twentieth century and those who instead really want to see the authentic product created by the Japanese through the faithfully subtitled episodes.

Oh I'm sorry I thought you copied the text from a release post written by the translators, my condolences.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
You can already play the original version in the Kunio Collection they released a while ago.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
You can already play the original version in the Kunio Collection they released a while ago.
Thanks for the report, I had missed it because the English version was marketed just the day before than the epidemic broke out in Europe.

EYM1r1q.jpg

Did you buy this collection digitally? The Limited Run Games also did a physical version, but I didn't find it very interesting.

XUX1R3M.png

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
One of my favorite NES games. I like the bastardized version released for the west. It was intentionally trying to cop the style from The Warriors. I'll check this out though. Technos was one of my favorite developers of the 80s/90s. They created some awesome 8bit chiptune music for the NES as well.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
The FC version of this game sucks. The arcade one is much better but neither are as good as the games that came later. I fucking love this series. The depth of gameplay and abundance of basic fun make Final Fight look like a bloated POS.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
One of my favorite NES games. I like the bastardized version released for the west. It was intentionally trying to cop the style from The Warriors. I'll check this out though. Technos was one of my favorite developers of the 80s/90s. They created some awesome 8bit chiptune music for the NES as well.

Some links if you or anyone cares to see what other games their team worked on, Technos and beyond.

Big fan of the sound and how it was used.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
For 'Renegade' did you try the version for the Sega Master System? It's the only conversion I really liked of this 'bastard' edition: it was developed by Nastume (they are the same ones who produced the 'Harvest Moon' series).

The FC version of this game sucks. The arcade one is much better but neither are as good as the games that came later. I fucking love this series. The depth of gameplay and abundance of basic fun make Final Fight look like a bloated POS.
As for this brand, the last thing I remember playing was the NEOGEO version of 'Super Dodge Ball' (about a decade ago).

8uW7NEl.jpg

But anyway, what are your favorite games from this series? (The titles released at Super Famicom look really cool).

*waits for SSRPG*

*Gets translation of a game thats already has a translation*
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last user that has tried to localize the role-playing game of 'Samurai Spirits', had translated all the text into English, but the only problem that had found was how to insert it?

If this were really the case, there would be a way to get this game in English, since a French group has already completely translated and made available the amateur translation of this title: if they still owned the work they did, the process would become easier, because it would be enough to simply insert the English texts already translated from the one that in the end has abandoned it all.

I've already tried this patch and it all works: the only thing that hasn't been translated are the commands inside the battle menu, which you can learn by heart anyway.

aQId2vy.jpg

h6incsA.jpg

bXgxD2n.jpg

xSzDUSQ.jpg

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
Apocalypse translated most of the first scenario into English, but a lot of it is actually gibberish, and yeah the moves aren't translated. But he then gave up on it, like so many have.

Even after people messaged him, offered to help, etc. He even claimed that he was shot down by this forum, but his thread asking about it was 99% positive to the translation. So I don't know where he got that insinuation. I left a message on his blog. One of the people on the team that was helping him even posted in the thread here asking to help continue the work without a response. I've considered shooting him a message on ArcadeProjects, but if he gave up and hasn't returned to it after people asking him to continue (and offering to help) there's really no point. He's washed his hands of it.

I even tried to see about grabbing the French and (incomplete) Spanish version, and worst case using Google Translate to translate the script, but I have no idea how to insert the text (maybe you were talking about me?). When I looked into it, I realized I was way out of my depth. I figured if the Roman characters were already hacked into the games code to provide French, why cant we replace 'wee wee haw haw' from French into "Amakusa Shiro, I'm gonna kick your ass" but evidently it's not that easy.

I downloaded some tools from Romhacking.net, and as an example, I basically could identify the handle of a screwdriver to build a brick house, as it were. So I'm not blasting people for not doing it. I know it's difficult, and I know people have lives to live rather than translate the game for DD.

But it seems the people who have the leg up don't seem to care enough. Not even whatever current iteration of SNK is out there.

Even if Apocalypse would provide his tools to a group, they could get it done at some point. But he hasn't. It sucks, but it's his decision. Shit, I even considered just going through the Spanish version, since I can squeak by on reading Spanish. But even then I discovered it wasn't even completed.

Ive thought about setting up a kickstarter/patreon, but I'm not even close enough to be considered a beginner/amateur translator, so I'd feel like shit if people gave me $1 a month for the next however many years and didn't come up with anything.

Edit: So fine, it wasn't 99% positive to the translation. But it was close. At bare minimum, hes got 108 people interested in playing it.

At this point, I'd even pay full price for the fucking patch.

1631596306190.png

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
For 'Renegade' did you try the version for the Sega Master System? It's the only conversion I really liked of this 'bastard' edition: it was developed by Nastume (they are the same ones who produced the 'Harvest Moon' series).

I've been playing renegade on the NES for years. I felt the hit detection was off on the SMS version. Besides it not playing as well, I prefer the aesthetic of the NES version. Maybe it's the gritty lack of refinement that does it for me.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Even after people messaged him, offered to help, etc. He even claimed that he was shot down by this forum, but his thread asking about it was 99% positive to the translation. So I don't know where he got that insinuation. I left a message on his blog. One of the people on the team that was helping him even posted in the thread here asking to help continue the work without a response. I've considered shooting him a message on ArcadeProjects, but if he gave up and hasn't returned to it after people asking him to continue (and offering to help) there's really no point. He's washed his hands of it.
From what I've read, it seems to me that he abandoned the project for two reasons: first of all, he thought that this was a game with little text and that in a very short time he would have translated it, instead, this is a real RPG divided into two chapters with a large amount of dialogue; the second reason I remember, is that through some members of this forum he had decided to subdivide this amount of text to simplify the work, but in the end they never helped him, because they abandoned him practically immediately.

Maybe that's why he says he was shot down by our community.

Anyway, I too am willing to pay to get this game in English. Why don't you resurrect/create a new thread pertaining to this 'SamSpi RPG' and let's see if there's anyone else willing to contribute economically?

If at least half of those hundred who voted 'yes' will do the same, maybe with money in their pockets obtained through a Patreon, Apocalypse might even change his mind and even in case he still says no, is it possible that on Romhacking there is no one who is willing to do a professional job on commission?

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
From what I've read, it seems to me that he abandoned the project for two reasons: first of all, he thought that this was a game with little text and that in a very short time he would have translated it, instead, this is a real RPG divided into two chapters with a large amount of dialogue; the second reason I remember, is that through some members of this forum he had decided to subdivide this amount of text to simplify the work, but in the end they never helped him, because they abandoned him practically immediately.

Maybe that's why he says he was shot down by our community.

Anyway, I too am willing to pay to get this game in English. Why don't you resurrect/create a new thread pertaining to this 'SamSpi RPG' and let's see if there's anyone else willing to contribute economically?

If at least half of those hundred who voted 'yes' will do the same, maybe with money in their pockets obtained through a Patreon, Apocalypse might even change his mind and even in case he still says no, is it possible that on Romhacking there is no one who is willing to do a professional job on commission?
One guy apparently did ghost on helping Apoc, but he came back and even apologized in the thread, but I don't think Apoc's even been here since like 2018 so he probably didn't see it.

Also, I don't see how a small group of people, be they the ones that voted no on the thread, or even the ones that were supposed to help him and bailing counts as "being shot down by the community." Shit man he had loads of people offer to help and he's refused to respond.

As far as being surprised about how much text is involved with SSRPG, I honestly don't put much stock in that theory. He knew what the game was about, and he was taking the French translation to create the English one. By that info alone it's clear he knew how much text was involved.