Red Hot Chili Peppers selling song catalog for $140 million

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member

I imagine there will be a clause where they can still perform them without any fees? $140 million...even split 4 ways, that's a lot of LEGOs.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I think there are probably more than 4 rights to be given up...they switch guitarist enough

@M

20 Year Member
The article didn't mention anybody else; others may not have any songwriting credits?

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
even if you didn't write the song, wouldn't you still get royalties for being on the record? Wish we had a lawyer around here....

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
even if you didn't write the song, wouldn't you still get royalties for being on the record? Wish we had a lawyer around here....
Nope. There's a legal difference between being "in" the band or being a hired gun. Being a member the band means you get a cut. Otherwise you get a flat fee. Dave was probably a flat fee. I'd imagine Josh was an official member.

I imagine there will be a clause where they can still perform them without any fees? $140 million...even split 4 ways, that's a lot of LEGOs.
There might be. But as far as I know, no record labels actually police this. It's just an unwritten law that you can play your songs live, even if you've moved to a different label or whatever. Since this is a 9-figure deal, though, I'd imagine they're going to cross all the ts and dot all the is.

Last edited:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Uncle Sam and their creditors are about to get paid!!
I wonder how much they will walk away with free and clear.......
BB

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Nope. There's a legal difference between being "in" the band or being a hired gun. Being a member the band means you get a cut. Otherwise you get a flat fee. Dave was probably a flat fee. I'd imagine Josh was an official member.

There might be. But as far as I know, no record labels actually police this. It's just an unwritten law that you can play your songs live, even if you've moved to a different label or whatever. Since this is a 9-figure deal, though, I'd imagine they're going to cross all the ts and dot all the is.
I am not talking about session musicians

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
So...say Dave Navarro plays on the record as a guitarist but isn’t credited as a writer/producer for a song he doesn’t get royalties for it?

at least they should make some monies on concerts and merchandise while on tour...maybe

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
So...say Dave Navarro plays on the record as a guitarist but isn’t credited as a writer/producer for a song he doesn’t get royalties for it?

at least they should make some monies on concerts and merchandise while on tour...maybe
If he's not credited, he wouldn't get royalties. If he is credited and was not a full fledged legal member of the band, he would get royalties for the sound recording only. He would not receive any royalties from any other forms of income (e.g., merchandising). I'm not sure if he would get royalties for "sync" (basically media producers need to purchase two licenses to use a song in a piece of media – the sound rights and the sync rights).

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Just following...Dylan, Nicks & Young

That could be a band name...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
For the record, the writing credits on "One Hot Minute" were to the entire band (including Navarro).

Some bands share full writing credits so that members aren't fighting over what tracks get end up on the album and which parts constitute credit. The idea is that the best tracks get on the album.

The other advantage of Writing credits is that you can receive monies from derivative versions. Think of how much Dolly Parton made off of Whitney Houston singing one of her songs. In the old days, one standard might be recorded and released by several artists.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

Not necessarily. This is one of the most contentious parts of bands. The writing credit almost always goes to the singer. The rest of the band may get nothing depending on the deal. This puts ego on top of the ego that already exists with a lead singers. It's yet another reason to have a contested relationship with the lead singer if you are in a band.

anyways. You can buy a lot of heroin for $140MM.... too soon?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I heard you can get the publishing rights to the Iced Earth catalog pretty cheap right now.

@M

20 Year Member
Not a single photo of them with socks on their dicks posted in this thread. Crom, where did I go wrong?

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I never liked the RHCP. I don't like that dude's voice.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Makes me wonder if it's related to covid. No touring for over a year or doing anything, but still trying to live that same level of lifestyle. So then maybe they think fuck it, why not have everyone get $30+ million each.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
they are probably realizing that statistically they only have fans who were born in 1985 or 1986, everyone else hates them, and after you do the math you realize that $130M is greater than the future money expected from the static demographic of males born in 1985/1986 when measuring the data with to their current rate of death

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Makes me wonder if it's related to covid. No touring for over a year or doing anything, but still trying to live that same level of lifestyle. So then maybe they think fuck it, why not have everyone get $30+ million each.
These guys should already be multi-millionaires set for life. If they need millions now to get out of debt or retire for the future then they still need to grow the fuck up and quit doing drugs.