Record collecting

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If I could buy from an audiophile I would. Everyone I see has been worn to shit by djs and wannabe djs.

I understand where you coming from but they really are built like tanks and able to take the punishment. I've owned a few 1200's and 1210's in the last 5 years and some were purchased from dj's and some weren't but never had any issues. Since they are so popular it's easy to find parts if something needs to replaced and there are still repair shops that maintain them. If you are patient you will find a nice single or pair.

If you really want to go the New route that Pioneer is a good choice but I would also check out this Audio Technica. I owned this one for a bit and loved the shit out of it. As soon as I found a Nice Pair of 1210's, I sold it.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technic...7266&sr=1-8&keywords=audio+technica+turntable

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
New local record shop means new scores:
Jet Set Vapour Trails (local band) Cellophane Vampire on translucent green and black swirl viny

S.O.D. Speak English or Die on green and red swirl vinyl

Stray Cats Built for Speed

That sod is a beauty, one of my favorites.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
How under retail on that carbon? I'm slightly in the market for a different table, depending on price.

Call them and say you want a 20% off coupon. They can't advertise it. Also you can register at the site and they'll send one. 320 ain't bad for it at all.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
that Transformers OST is the shit... it's still pretty cheap on discogs... oh, the temptation...

Honestly, I kind of felt ripped off with that one.

When I heard it was going to be a 2 LP set I thought that they were finally going to put the DiCola score on vinyl. Much to my dismay they just used the 2nd side of each LP for the faction symbol etching and split the standard hair metal soundtrack between sides 1 and 3.

While the LPs look cool, it just feels like a lot of wasted potential.

Last edited:

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member

When I heard it was going to be a 2 LP set I thought that they were finally going to put the DiCola score on vinyl. Much to my dismay they just used the 2nd side of each LP for the faction symbol etching and split the standard hair metal soundtrack between sides 1 and 3.

I have to agree on that. Some of the music is fun but I would much rather have had The Original Motion Picture Score. Though one can still find the cd, but would been cool to have had that on vinyl. I picked up this release on a whim and it is nice to have but not really something that I think I'll get much listening time out of.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
So my obsessive research has helped me locate articles on Panasonic bringing back the Technics brand. I have a feeling direct drive will be back in a big way next year and I might be better off with a budget table to use as in betweener. I'm thinking I get the at lp120 plus a new phone amp and a replacement styli for my shure cartridge.

Yes. I can't stand belt drive turntables this much plus for 250 on a turntable, I can kind of burn that loss and either sell it, store it, or hand it off to a friend when I land on a table I really love.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I love my old as fuck Dual 621.

I love my old as fuck Dual 1218 ... Just don't feel like servicing it right now. Going to store it and give a try when I get free time. There's enough guides out there and they were build to last.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So my obsessive research has helped me locate articles on Panasonic bringing back the Technics brand. I have a feeling direct drive will be back in a big way next year and I might be better off with a budget table to use as in betweener. I'm thinking I get the at lp120 plus a new phone amp and a replacement styli for my shure cartridge.

Yes. I can't stand belt drive turntables this much plus for 250 on a turntable, I can kind of burn that loss and either sell it, store it, or hand it off to a friend when I land on a table I really love.

I wouldn't be surprised if Panasonic got back in the mix since Vinyls are getting more and more popular. When I had a LP120 I was surprised how good it was. That's not a bad move.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I've gone through a couple of Dual TT's. They're fun. I had a 622 at one point that sounded alright, and a 1019 that didn't but at least looked cool. Now I have a Pro-Ject RM 1.3, plus a Marantz 6300 stashed away down in the basement.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Some pre-holiday gets!

Regular black vinyl Mother OST, Moonshake Records white/red splatter Pokemon LP, and a randomly inserted clear-splatter, error press, Castlevaina OST that came with my Pokemon LP. Pretty stoked to get that Castlevania error press vinyl!

Spoiler:
IMG_20151220_193835.jpg

IMG_20151220_193815.jpg

IMG_20151220_193755.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Got a bunch of records yesterday from the gf and coworkers.

Adele - 21
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
The Black Keys - The Big Come Up (sunburst disc)
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wt
Led Zeppelin IV
Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More

Also received in the mail two Data discs (SOR and Shinobi III) SOR is the red disc version and both look amazing.

Not a bad starter pack.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Also received in the mail two Data discs (SOR and Shinobi III) SOR is the red disc version and both look amazing.

Not a bad starter pack.

Thought about shinobi, looks nice. I'm waiting for the eventual sor2 release. Don't recall the first soundtrack being memorable. Should give it another listen.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,

Yeah, I held off on that one. I would most likely never have played it anyways... thanks for the reassuring words ;) It still looks super nice though.

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
records.JPG
My record collection at this point. Its gotten larger and smaller over the years from selling chunks and slowly buying more. LP wise its definitely over 1,000 but I havent counted in years. All those little boxes are 45s

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Ash recommended me the U-Turn turntable maybe 2 years ago. I really like it. So if you want to go cheap, it's there, but if you want to deck it out later, they have stuff to add on, like acrylic platters, etc.
http://uturnaudio.com/

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Those milk crates are reinforced with steel lining, its fine!!
Its actually way sturdier than those shit ikea record shelves

Spoiler:
lstBnCs.jpg

I seriously doubt it. Go to ikea a buy a few Kallax like the ones in my picture. Looks better too.

Last edited:

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
lstBnCs.jpg

I seriously doubt it. Go to ikea a buy a few Kallax. Looks better too.

nah im good. Ive had those fall apart on me and gone back to crates. I only use the ones with the metal ring. The green crate being the exception.
Been doing it this way for 10+ years and has lasted me longer than any store bought record shelf.

EDIT: Also, theres a long single peice of wood between the wood crates on top and the milk crates below, effectively working like a snow shoe to redistribute the weight.
Source - I worked at record labels for years

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Ash recommended me the U-Turn turntable maybe 2 years ago. I really like it. So if you want to go cheap, it's there, but if you want to deck it out later, they have stuff to add on, like acrylic platters, etc.
http://uturnaudio.com/
wow, never knew about these... looks very promising. Thanks for posting this, will have to do some research.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
nah im good. Ive had those fall apart on me and gone back to crates. I only use the ones with the metal ring. The green crate being the exception.
Been doing it this way for 10+ years and has lasted me longer than any store bought record shelf.

EDIT: Also, theres a long single peice of wood between the wood crates on top and the milk crates below, effectively working like a snow shoe to redistribute the weight.
Source - I worked at record labels for years

Yea, I hear you but it looks like shit. No way would I put milk crates in my living room. To each his own.