made it in japan
15 Year Member
CbzIDmi.jpg

heh.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
And i would never put ikea furniture in mine

I would never use crappy plastic milk crates. C'mon mate, head over to a thrift store and buy an old shelf and repaint it or something. Your setup could be so much more.

mookystains

Chairman Kaga sez, "Dakis-san's the one who's goin
Forgot how Reddity this place has gotten, no thanks.
Well, this has been my once a year contribution.
Seeya in a year.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What's wrong with Milk Crates. My homie's Brother who blew all his money on AV equipment and was sitting on milk rates.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
What's wrong with Milk Crates. My homie's Brother who blew all his money on AV equipment and was sitting on milk rates.

To each his own. I hope to have a dedicated room for audio listening one day. For right now it sits on an entertainment center with my tv stuffs.

Old pic, table is covered.

6ae37a21b42ada7607a28e054cc92b5f.jpg

The table at my old apt:

2c9f11b62515e1190cd84cd07b7aba56.jpg

Visiting the folks for Christmas or I'd take a better pic.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That's good, but where to you keep your records at?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Anyways, I've found that the cheapest decent makeshift record shelf is a Sauder 3 shelf Bookshelf.
Use both (it comes with two) leaves to support the weight of the upper shelf.
Replace the shelf pegs with metal L Brackets.

I also picked up the following shelf used. It works pretty well (3 shelves of records, 2 shelves for other things):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sauder-Harbor-View-5-Shelf-Library-Bookcase-White/2630036

But the plan is to transition to two tiers (6 wide) of low-profile Wine Grape Crates (or if I can't find enough, build them myself), allowing everything to be front-facing.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
That's good, but where to you keep your records at?

I keep my most played nearby. Right underneath the table (visible in the pics).

Others I have on a shelf built into the apartment. I plan to upgrade when I move next.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I keep most of my vinyl on this chunky, 3 shelf unit I picked up at Walmart

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
View attachment 31401
My record collection at this point. Its gotten larger and smaller over the years from selling chunks and slowly buying more. LP wise its definitely over 1,000 but I havent counted in years. All those little boxes are 45s
I like it sans the green crate and also, suggestively speaking, the smaller milk crates fit like a glove, I've used them before to carry a decent amount whenever I get a lot of them or take them to someone else's place. I like the premise though, really cool, there are these shelves made out of real wood, very inexpensive sold at those furniture places ran by people that buy from the amish, I have 3 of them each with 3 shelves, better than any ikea setup, they look great, my only problem is that they are too narrow to put a sound system on top of them, otherwise I'd done it and bam, awesome sauce.

...anyway, I really like Michael Yagami's walmart shelf 'cause it's wide enough to place a turn table on top, looks boss, might copy that.

I used to have this awesome cabinet that was made for records, spacers and all, doors too, it was awesome but I let it go 'cause it was too bulky, these days I prefer small modular shelves that can be placed in conjunction, looks more industrial, I guess in a way I like the rough down look as opposed to the fancy look, but I can dig both, so...

...truth be told, I need a better turn table, all I have is a Crosby wannabe old looking get up, the belt ripped, need a new one, wouldn't mind getting new needles as well just for the hell of it.

I also have a SOny Turntable, not the super high end one or anything but it's decent quality, I like it a lot, wouldn't mind getting one of the beefier setups I've seen here, if anyone has any good advice on a source, willing to spend some money, I know I'll be looking at more than a couple hundred bucks which is what I spent on my sony turntable but alas, any advice would be greatly appreciate it.

Mooky, stop being such a sour puss, just stick around...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I know I'll be looking at more than a couple hundred bucks which is what I spent on my sony turntable but alas, any advice would be greatly appreciate it...

Seriously, Craigslist.

Cash, patience and perseverance.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I like it sans the green crate and also, suggestively speaking, the smaller milk crates fit like a glove, I've used them before to carry a decent amount whenever I get a lot of them or take them to someone else's place. I like the premise though, really cool, there are these shelves made out of real wood, very inexpensive sold at those furniture places ran by people that buy from the amish, I have 3 of them each with 3 shelves, better than any ikea setup, they look great, my only problem is that they are too narrow to put a sound system on top of them, otherwise I'd done it and bam, awesome sauce.

...anyway, I really like Michael Yagami's walmart shelf 'cause it's wide enough to place a turn table on top, looks boss, might copy that.

I used to have this awesome cabinet that was made for records, spacers and all, doors too, it was awesome but I let it go 'cause it was too bulky, these days I prefer small modular shelves that can be placed in conjunction, looks more industrial, I guess in a way I like the rough down look as opposed to the fancy look, but I can dig both, so...

...truth be told, I need a better turn table, all I have is a Crosby wannabe old looking get up, the belt ripped, need a new one, wouldn't mind getting new needles as well just for the hell of it.

I also have a SOny Turntable, not the super high end one or anything but it's decent quality, I like it a lot, wouldn't mind getting one of the beefier setups I've seen here, if anyone has any good advice on a source, willing to spend some money, I know I'll be looking at more than a couple hundred bucks which is what I spent on my sony turntable but alas, any advice would be greatly appreciate it.

Mooky, stop being such a sour puss, just stick around...

Yeah I think it's about time I upgrade from my Crosely as well. I don't have a ton of money to dump into a setup right now, but let me know what you end up getting.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Do stores like best buy sell anything besides crosleys now?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Do stores like best buy sell anything besides crosleys now?

Some places stock the audio technica lp 120, but otherwise you tend to see crosley, ion, and Jensen which are about as bottom barrel as you can get.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Here's an older pic, actually almost 2 years to the date, Dec 25th 2013. The shelves have been filled and reorganized a bit, the TT on the left is an MMF-5 that I sold to a friend, at the time my Dual 1019 that is now 78s only was my main TT while I waited for a new motor on the MMF-5. A VPI Classic 2/3 custom hybrid is my current TT.

1425259_10152461672073906_1097335136_o.jpg

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I officially went the budget route so I could spend the excess monies on much needed extras. Here's what I bought:

Audio Technica LP120 - direct drive, decent reviews, going to put my shure 97xe cartridge on it

Schiit Mani - time I got a real phono preamp, my Art DJ served me well

Record Cleaning Brush - standard audioquest one

Extra Record Sleeves - I have some sleeve-less records and some records covered by dirty paper sleeves that I can now set aside and replace.

Record cleaning machine - Came highly recommended on audiokarma and such.

Link: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3D-Printed-R...e-/151903631006?ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:CA:1123

Vid:

All and all, I'm pretty happy going this direction. I hope it sounds good. Pics are forthcoming.

edit:

I also picked up Daft Punk's Discovery to blast for it's first spin.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
That cleaner looks like a freaking awesome and much more affordable alternative to a VPI