Recommend me the best 80s anime

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Ok thanks. I'll take a look.

I didn't mind that cobra was surreal. I actually really liked that. I think the story itself was kind of out there and flimsy.

The movie is kind of a redone version of the first Cobra story. But redone drastically differently.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I liked the OG Bubblegum Crisis. 2040 didn't quite have the sass man.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I liked the OG Bubblegum Crisis. 2040 didn't quite have the sass man.

OG Bubblegum Crisis was great. Has 80s flair written all over it, fueled by a phenomenal soundtrack and great designs. Lots of OVA love there!

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
yep, BGC 2040 doesn't even come close to the awesomeness of BGC 2032.

Bubblegum Crash was alright tho...

Naika

Street Hoop Star
yep, BGC 2040 doesn't even come close to the awesomeness of BGC 2032.

Bubblegum Crash was alright tho...

I've heard lots of reviews that Crash was crap. What refutes that for you about it? Maybe it might time for me to check it out....

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Crash certainly isn't as good as BGC 2032, but worth a watch at least once. Though I think I may have some nostalgic bias to it since I watched it right after watching the original OVA's just to get more Knight Saber action.

That said, I think A.D. Police files (the original OVA's) are also worth checking if you want more from that Mega-Tokyo world..

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
So the BGC blu-ray set is legitimate and comes from master reels? The "This set is not only for the fans, it's by the fans as well!" sentence scares me.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
So the BGC blu-ray set is legitimate and comes from master reels? The "This set is not only for the fans, it's by the fans as well!" sentence scares me.

It is a re-encode of the Japanese Release with a ton of extras that were not on the Japanese release. Animeigo has the exclusive license outside of Japan for BGC. It was a Kickstarter to get this BD release made and the fans got to decide with the budget what extras would be in the set.

fake

15 Year Member
It is a re-encode of the Japanese Release with a ton of extras that were not on the Japanese release. Animeigo has the exclusive license outside of Japan for BGC. It was a Kickstarter to get this BD release made and the fans got to decide with the budget what extras would be in the set.

Gotcha. Sounds like it's somewhere in the middle.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I will say that Animeigo does great transfers so don't worry about the video. Anything extra is just that.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Thanks for that link. To get that set in BluRay when I could never find the DVD set anything less for $80 when I would see it sitting on shelves is worth the go for me.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I will say that Animeigo does great transfers so don't worry about the video. Anything extra is just that.

Now...if they can do a Blu Ray of "Dagger of Kamui," I'd flip out. One of my fave anime films of the 80s.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Now...if they can do a Blu Ray of "Dagger of Kamui," I'd flip out. One of my fave anime films of the 80s.

That would have to be rescanned for sure. I bought that early release as Animeigo had it at SanDiego Comic Con that year a few weeks before they sold it officially. I love that film. Watched it pretty recently and the DVD does show its age a bit if you have a 50" 1080p set but it was still very watchable.

potetoboy

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
i find many of those older titles got poor/lazy transfers when they got to DVD. I think I was watching the Vampire Hunter D DVD on my HD projector and it was about the same quality as youtube or my old Laserdisc copy. Still watchable tho, for sure..

Naika

Street Hoop Star
That would have to be rescanned for sure. I bought that early release as Animeigo had it at SanDiego Comic Con that year a few weeks before they sold it officially. I love that film. Watched it pretty recently and the DVD does show its age a bit if you have a 50" 1080p set but it was still very watchable.

Definitely needs a rescan, and yes, it does show it's age, but Kamui is filled so many memorable moments that it boggles my mind that folks pass it up. For me, this film essentially shaped my opinions of what a ninja should be in pop culture.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member

maybe this hasn't been mentioned?

Yoma: Curse of the Undead or Blood Reign: Curse of the Yoma something like that anyhow.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Oh yeah, def seen this OVA. Very good, and gives me a bit of a scare too. Gotta love Hikage!!!

fake

15 Year Member
Official Gundam sneakers by Reebok:

imagegundam-reebok-insta-pump-fury-pack-2.jpg

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
When I was a kid, my rating for anime was based on:

1) Gore
2) Nudity

That's it.