Recommend me the best 80s anime

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I love Macross and Bubblegum Crisis. What (affordable) box sets should I get?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Zeta Gundam for sure. The quintessential '80s robot show. Arguably the best of all-time. But watch the movie trilogy of the original 1970s series first.

edit: Just to be extra clear... When I say movie trilogy, I mean the trilogy of movies compiled from the first Gundam tv show. Do NOT watch the Zeta Gundam movie trilogy. It is a disjointed, incomprehensible mess.

Last edited:

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
Hades Project Zeorymer
Totally underrated. I never would've expected to see someone mention that series on this thread.
icon29.gif
To add-on to the original question, though (particularly if the preference is toward mechanical serieses), I would have to mention SOUKOU KIHEI Votoms. It's different from most of the overplayed TV-based franchises, and best of all, a million time more-manly than the crap that mixed mechanical designs and fluffy character designs to ensure a good-selling series.

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
Fist of the North Star
Kimagure Orange Road
Ranma 1/2
Heavy Metal L-Gaim (no domestic release, but available fansubbed online)
Genesis Climber Mospeada

bemanicho1

Ninja Combat Warrior
Project Ako (the first one which is also the best one)
Vampire Princess Miyu (the four part OAV series)
Urusei Yatsura (the tv series and movies)
Black Magic M-66
Maison Ikkoku (even though there's the anime series, I'd recommend reading the manga instead which is very superior to the anime series and is one of my favorite manga series ever)

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fist of the North Star
Kimagure Orange Road
Ranma 1/2
I refrained from listing any show that had been adapted from a comic, because usually the comic is better. And in all three of those cases, I'd say the comic was much better.

No love for Robotech? :(
He already said he's watched Macross, and Kaioh already recommended Mospeada.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Area 88 (3 volume OVA)

Cagliostro' Castle (miyazaki's take on Lupin III)

Original Dirty Pair

Roujin Z

Robot Carnival

Megazone 23 (I enjoy pt. 2 the best)

Project A-ko (purely out of nostalgia...this hasn't aged as well as I had hoped- or perhaps it wasn't as rad as I thought back in 8th Grade) I will concede that pt 1 is the the best of the bunch

I also love Zeta Gundam...my vote for this list includes a Gundam that interestingly
enough is short on mecha battles:

War in the Pocket

Urusei Yatsura.

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Thanks dudes.

Is this the right Gundam 0079 Trilogy to get?

I'm also torn between Mospeada and Megazone. Also, is Cybercity Odeo worth getting?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Thanks dudes.

I'm also torn between Mospeada and Megazone. Also, is Cybercity Odeo worth getting?

Worth having, I really like 0083 the best tho.

If you still have VHS, I could shoot you some of these to try before you buy.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I liked Fist of the North Star quite a bit.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Thanks dudes.

Yes that is the Gundam 0079 film trilogy. Get that with the Zeta Gundam box-set and you are set for two of the best series of all time IMO. I would avoid Gundam 0083 unless you like terrible ret-cons and Gundam top-gun style :p(Who am I kidding..I still enjoyed the OVA) The Gundam series/films worth watching IMO are as followed

Gundam 0079 films
Z-Gundam
Chars Counter Attack
Gundam 0080
8th MS Team
V Gundam
Gundam F91
Turn A Gundam

Aura Battler Dunbine, L-Gaim and generally any work from Tomino is quite good!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I would avoid Gundam 0083 unless you like terrible ret-cons and Gundam top-gun style :p(Who am I kidding..I still enjoyed

Heh. That is why I big-upped 0083 lol. Thread op = 80's ankle.

8^D

I like your Gundam list for sure.

Was Giant Robo 80's, or early 90's? Can't recall; it has that old style flavor tho.

Ginrei was my first crush!

Kaioh

Sakura's Bank Manager
I was going to recommend Dangaio(h) as well, but that never got a full/correct DVD release. The only DVD release was the butchered and dubbed Manga Video version. They completely left out the entire 1st episode and the thing is only English dubbed.

The original VHS tapes from US Renditions is the only way to get all 3 episodes uncut and subtitled in the US. Unless there was another release of Dangaio(h) I'm not aware of.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Heh. That is why I big-upped 0083 lol. Thread op = 80's ankle.

8^D

I like your Gundam list for sure.

Was Giant Robo 80's, or early 90's? Can't recall; it has that old style flavor tho.

Ginrei was my first crush!

Haha, true enough! Although I believe 0083 came out in 91? As for Giant Robo I believe it was 97/98...Fantastic OVA all the same though! I believe a member on these boards is actually selling the box-set for super cheap too!

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Worth having, I really like 0083 the best tho.

If you still have VHS, I could shoot you some of these to try before you buy.

Hey, thanks I appreciate it. I think it's on Crunchyroll now though. :vik:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Thanks dudes.

Yeah, that's the one. Keep in mind that trilogy is pretty retro by today's standards. It's even kind of retro by 1980's standards. But it's still very cool, and you need to have seen it to watch Zeta Gundam, which is the best of the franchise, imo, and I think still holds up extremely well.

As for Giant Robo I believe it was 97/98...
Has to be earlier than that... I remember renting the VHS of the first couple episodes around '94 or so.

FrankZappa

Crossed Swords Squire
Has to be earlier than that... I remember renting the VHS of the first couple episodes around '94 or so.

You're right! It finished in 98. Ah..fond memories. Have you ever played the first Super Robot Wars @? The Giant Robo arc in it is great...It's a shame they had to drop the series from the cast for @2 and @3.