recommend me a brand of color pencils.

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
I've been drawing alot recently and would like to add some color in my work and due to the fact I suck at painting would like to use color pencils I've been using the prismacolor brand lately and been wondering should i stick to that brand or try another brand.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
KOH-I-NOOR, Derwent, Caran d'Ache, Brevillier... I think the former are used by Lebbeus Woods. The man is a color pencil god.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I just keep a cardboard box filled with all sorts of different ones that I've gotten over the years, cheap-os and name brands alike--I never paid much attention to that type of thing, although I'm sure some products are better than others. As long as the "leads" don't break too easily when I'm drawing/coloring with them, I'm happy. While quality products can help, your drawing skills are ultimately much more important than the tools you're using.

There are watercolor colored pencils too--you draw with them, then go over them with a wetted brush to get a watercolor paint-like effect. My older sister got me a box of those for Christmas and I, um, never used them!

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I just use Prismacolor. 50% off Michael's coupon and they're amazing for the price.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Besides the already mentioned: Bruynzeel

PinkSweets

King's Dry Cleaner
The pencils mentioned above are all good choices. I would also highly recommend Prismacolor Premier.