Realbout Fatal Fury Special, Windjammers + other neo to sega genesis ports

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I used to love the sega cd tracks but nowadays I think they're mostly garbage. I'd rather have the original tracks please.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
Im wondering what the point of these are? Thats seriously cool that someone is doing this, but Im just wondering why. Is it because the Neo and Genny used the same CPU, so they are trying to see what they can pull out of the Genny?

Man if WindJammers comes to the Genny that would be so rad.
What also helps is the SGDK, the development environment that makes Final Fight MD, SOTN, and the Neo Geo ports possible.

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I'm also looking forward to the Sunset Riders project, they're gonna port the game to MD again, this time it's going to be an arcade-perfect port unlike the old version which is fun and very playable but nowhere near the real thing. Been a while since I've last heard of it, hope they're still at it.
Hell, have you checked out the RoboCop, R-Type, DarkStalkers, and The Simpsons ports to the Genesis? They also look very promising.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hell, have you checked out the RoboCop, R-Type, DarkStalkers, and The Simpsons ports to the Genesis? They also look very promising.
Yeah. I'm very interested in R-Type and Darkstalkers, maybe Simpsons arcade but I think they have to put a bit more work in the graphics. Still amazing what goes on in the home dev scene.

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer
Been waiting for an MD port of R-Type! I always thought it fitted right into the early MD library.
Just like the original Shinobi, which was also in the works but has been on hold for years now.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Im wondering what the point of these are?

I just find dev on old game consoles interesting and fun. I've considered making a port myself just to have graphics, sound and level design already done for me so I can just focus on squeezing the hardware.

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I just find dev on old game consoles interesting and fun. I've considered making a port myself just to have graphics, sound and level design already done for me so I can just focus on squeezing the hardware.
Do it!

What do you think would be a good candidate for that kind of project?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
You know what I also would like to see? A new and final version of Thunder Blade.

I was floored when the game hit the arcades and pumped loads of coins into it, that's why the announcement of a Mega Drive port got me excited but the outcome wasn't all that hot. I was okay with the 3D chase-view levels but they took almost everything out of the top-down levels that made them fun, the 3D effects were gone and you also could not change your height. I still played the port to hell and back and even finished the game one day which wasn't an easy task to say the least but I always wanted a proper version of the arcade original on my MD.

I was convinced that it could have been done way better even back in the day. The dev'ers had to meet the launch date of the console as Thunder Blade was meant as a launch title in Japan and only got a measly 4 MBit (512 kb) cart to work with. Now imagine what some of those gifted current home dev'ers with their shiny new dev tools could come up with here... I think the game is good enough to honour it with a proper version.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
You know what I also would like to see? A new and final version of Thunder Blade.
I feel that way about a lot of early console releases. Like Mario Bros on the NES could have been pretty much arcade perfect if they had just used a slightly bigger cart. Early releases like that are often disappointing in that regard.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member

I was floored when the game hit the arcades and pumped loads of coins into it, that's why the announcement of a Mega Drive port got me excited but the outcome wasn't all that hot. I was okay with the 3D chase-view levels but they took almost everything out of the top-down levels that made them fun, the 3D effects were gone and you also could not change your height. I still played the port to hell and back and even finished the game one day which wasn't an easy task to say the least but I always wanted a proper version of the arcade original on my MD.

I was convinced that it could have been done way better even back in the day. The dev'ers had to meet the launch date of the console as Thunder Blade was meant as a launch title in Japan and only got a measly 4 MBit (512 kb) cart to work with. Now imagine what some of those gifted current home dev'ers with their shiny new dev tools could come up with here... I think the game is good enough to honour it with a proper version.
Do it

sirlynxalot

Genjuro's Frog
Fagit of the Year
I got around to testing out this demo of Realbout Fatal Fury ported to Genesis. Overall, its a great demo, some of the best fighting gameplay on the genesis, but its very much an unfinished idea. It's to be expected on a system like the genesis, but there is plenty of stuff in this demo that is kind of jank and clearly simplified, removed, or otherwise just a shadow of the neogeo original. Somehow I got the impression from watching videos that the game had most of the characters implemented, but actually its maybe only about 5. You can navigate over every character on the select screen, but if its a character that is not in the game, then you will be playing as Terry. All in all, its a great demo and it would be cool if its still a WIP and continues to get developed, but I have a hunch this is as far as it will go, and its by no means a complete game.

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
I got around to testing out this demo of Realbout Fatal Fury ported to Genesis. Overall, its a great demo, some of the best fighting gameplay on the genesis, but its very much an unfinished idea. It's to be expected on a system like the genesis, but there is plenty of stuff in this demo that is kind of jank and clearly simplified, removed, or otherwise just a shadow of the neogeo original. Somehow I got the impression from watching videos that the game had most of the characters implemented, but actually its maybe only about 5. You can navigate over every character on the select screen, but if its a character that is not in the game, then you will be playing as Terry. All in all, its a great demo and it would be cool if its still a WIP and continues to get developed, but I have a hunch this is as far as it will go, and its by no means a complete game.
Should make it a port to the 32x instead.
Or 32x/CD and use the AST!