RE5 trailer in-depth analysis thread

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
RE4 fans, let's use this thread to go in-depth and analyze the contents of the full trailer released today. For your reference, here are links to the trailer other people have posted:

Widescreen
http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_4151_en.html

Standard
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22801.html

What we know / What we can guess:
-Resident Evil 5 was originally conceived of as a game that "will utilize the same gameplay model introduced in Resident Evil 4, while implementing thematics from the original Resident Evil into the game". The game was also originally conceived as a "full chapter" in the RE series, not a side-story the way RE4 was.

-Shinji Mikami, the producer of RE4 who is credited with the decision to take the series in the new direction, left Capcom and is now serving as a consultant. All members of Mikami's Clover Studios, which created God Hand and Okami and I believe also contributed to RE4, were all fired last year.

-RE5 will feature Chris Redfield, shown in the trailer. He's presumably the main character. Let's hope and pray this time around there's no stupid sequence where you play as a helpless girl with no weapons.

-The game seems to take place somewhere in South Africa, where there is political upheaval. A scene in both the new trailer and the E3 trailer shows the locals rioting at a public address, throwing rocks at somebody who is standing on a scaffold, speaking. The game looks a lot like Mogadishu from the movie Black Hawk Down, but remember, Capcom's "official" stance on RE4 was that the game did NOT take place in Spain, but in an "unnamed European country" where everyone spoke Spanish, so they may pull the same thing here

-The zombie-ism seems to be blood-related; the midpart of the trailer shows the one local guy being attacked by two other local guys as Chris walks in. During the transformation, the guy's eyes go bloodshot and he weeps blood. He also clutches his neck. Maybe the zombie virus-whatever is spread through biting, a reference to the recent Dawn of the Dead remake, for the people out there who actually care about story justifications. For story buffs, Chris' outfit has some kind of logo on the shoulder, I can't make it out, but it's more than likely the S.T.A.R.S. logo

-Chris will carry, among other things, a handgun, some kind of shotgun, and an assault rifle (looks like an M4 Carbine, but will probably have some kind of copyright-avoiding nickname)

-Chris has at least 2 melee attacks, a straight punch at 2:19 in the trailer, and that step-in kick at about 1:52 in the trailer. From the looks of things, the straight punch can flatten out an enemy (he knocks the guy flat on his back), and the melee setup is...escaping a grapple? I can't tell what the setup, if any, is for the kick, it looks like the enemy Chris kicks is bent forward slightly, but he's not clutching his face, so it's not a faceshot followup. Anyone?

-The staggering system from RE4 is back, where if you shoot or melee an enemy who is standing in a crowd, the whole crowd gets staggered. The bounding boxes seem to be much tighter than they were in RE4, not sure if it's per-pixel hit detection (I doubt it). Then again, the crowds in the trailer are packed in really close to each other

-Body part damage is still in, check 2:00 in the trailer where Chris shoots a guy in the leg, causing him to fall on his face

-In addition to the "normal" enemies, it looks like the trailer shows at least one "abnormal" enemy, a slightly taller guy with a wrapped-up face carrying a scythe(?) around 2:02 in the trailer. He also appears later on at around 2:13, possibly a minor boss like the Bella Sisters or Dr. Salvador

-Enemies can now tackle Chris at chest-level(?). Not sure how Chris is supposed to get out of that...maybe some kind of button-mashing escape?

-Chris can duck under attacks at his head...this is really starting to make me think that the game will have a lot more close encounters in tight spaces, like the dark shack at 2:13, because if the game was mostly wide-open space, why wouldn't Chris just shoot the enemies from a distance? Also, the enemies seem to run noticeably faster than the ganados / illuminados did

-There might be a bit more to grappling this time around(?) Look at 1:55 where Chris seems to be having a contest of strength with the enemy. Could just be a button-mashing sequence

-Chris seems to be carrying a knife strapped to his back at 2:03, unless that's the butt of some weird sawed-off shotgun. We haven't seen him use a knife at all, if he does have one, in any of the trailers so far

-Like I mentioned in the other thread, RE5 will recycle some animations. Chris' grapple escape around 2:04, where he twists his trunk around and elbows the guy in the face, is the exact same animation Leon used in one of his escapes in RE4. The machete slash at about 2:08 also looks exactly like a ganado hatchet slash from RE4. I'm hoping the sound effects aren't final in this trailer since the handgun, shotgun, weapon slashing sound, and weapon deflecting sound are ripped exactly out of RE4 with no apparent changes

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
*put's on nerd goggles and blasts off*

the guy at the rally with the shades seems to be inciting the violence - it seems they're taking a piece out of current affairs/history - mixing in 'real' (third world) horror scenarios with a fantasy undercurrent. maybe, maybe not but that's how it comes off to me - in fact that would be great; civil strife of a very possible kind with a understated spin (zombies!). subversion, atleast I hope - of a more interesting kind than rockstar and take two can muster.

the taller guy who looks like a freak just looks like a typical african/third world rioter/guerilla fighter - I don't think he looks as out there as the chainsaw guy in RE4. from the snippet we see of him he looks to be your average strongman - fits quite well within the enemy cast it would appear.

one other observation is that the 'virus' or whatever makes that guy cry blood, looks to be ingested - is the guy being force fed?

:emb: :emb: I'm too old for this stuff.

argh my back...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Somebody posted this at s-c:

refalconpunch2.gif

Eric

Fight On!,
EX_Andy said:
Let's hope and pray this time around there's no stupid sequence where you play as a helpless girl with no weapons.

That's more Leon's schtick now.

Chris in this game is going to make Leon look like a pussy in comparison.

And I doubt he'll be turning down any overtime.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
You kill endless amounts of white people in any number of games.

Are those racist? Goddamn.

Spin needs to give us his judgement on this.

Meanwhile, I was under the impression that the people are throwing rocks at the corpse hanging atop the scaffolding/platform, perhaps these people are being infected against their will and only a few of them are responsible for it?

Or it could be the corpse of someone who stood in their goals of zombie-conquest. Whatever.

My biggest fear is that too much of the gameplay from RE4 will be recycled here. Too many scenes looked like something from 4 that have some fairly innocuous twist on them (Grappling hooks instead of ladders).

If much of the game is to take place in SUCH close quarters, they ought to give us adequate abilities to deal with that. Leon's kick was useful, but coupled with his limited melee abilities, many bottleneck situations in RE4 became unnecessarily difficult.

talks2wall

Host for Orochi
I'm mostly surprised at how many enemies seem to appear at the same time. Assuming this trailer is near the beginning of the game, seems like almost every scene has a swarm of enemies. As for Chris' melee attacks, I'm not positive that those are realtime attacks as opposed to cut scenes. The kick could be, but the straight punch looks like a cut scene to me. Actually after watching that kick again, it looks more like a cut scene than actual gameplay. In general it's hard to tell how much of that trailer is actual gameplay.

Re: the logo on Chris' shoulder can best be seen around the 1:28 mark as he enters the shack. Not sure it says S.T.A.R.S. though. Can't make out the first letter but the rest looks like S.A.A. :conf: Maybe D.S.A.A. Hmm, if I go frame by frame at 1:57 it looks like B.S.A.A.

Let's hope there's more unique enemies in this one than RE4.

Eric

Fight On!,
talks2wall said:
Let's hope there's more unique enemies in this one than RE4.

That was one of the few faults I could find with 4.

Most of the melee moves look like they're just context sensitive as they were in 4, but I'll keep hoping that at least some limited abilities will be allowed without having to even fire a shot (or a knife slash)

The ducking Chris did is something I'm interested in. Automatic or maybe (hopefully) manual input?

And the number of enemies is just awesome. After playing through the Mercenaries mode in RE4, the main game becomes painfully easy. I unlocked the Handcannon and didn't even want to use it.

PS: If they do Mercenaries in 5, then they damn well better include both Hunk and Barry.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I'm just wondering what mention RE5 will make to Code Veronica...RE4 skipped by it quite nicely, as Leon wasn't heavily involved in CV. They can't pull those shenanigans with Chris, who shared main character duties with his sister. It'll be interesting to see how the spin/retcon CV into making some kind of sense.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
It's been over 11 years since the first RE came out -- it's time to conclude the story.

Too bad Cap won't since it's their cashcow.

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
It's been already stated that this game going to be taken so far out of context that Jesse and Al may as well wear the game CD around their dongs, pull out, and repeat. I'm looking at it through a gamer's perspective and not getting all bent outta shape with something I could just easily ignore if I wasn't interested. Even if the game's hero was an Af-Am or some global African member of S.T.A.R.S., it'd just be viewed as simulated black-on-black crime, but that didn't stop GTA:SA from selling like hotcakes, huh?

Perhaps the game could really shed some light on the various atrocities that already plague the continent through its social context, but all people will see is "white American cop blasting away at poor Africans" despite wielding knives, machetes, axes, a possible scythe, grappling hooks, and whatever else you can find out there in the Motherland while suffering from some horrible plague/disease that causes them to lose all rational thought while maintaining physical mechanics and improve their speed, strength, stamina. If Capcom had the game take place in China, you'd have to kill Chinese Zombies and the same would go for Australia, Italy, Peru, Mexico City, Manhattan, Cuba, Thailand, etc.

So when the droves of angry masses complain about the game's content, I'll ask them what about the seemingly neverending bloodbaths in Philly, Baltimore, St. Louis, NOLA, and Detroit? What about the 70K+ men, women, and children that have died at the hands of Bloods and Crips? What about the booming business of drive-thru funeral homes since so many folks kick the bucket due to violence? It leads me to believe that as long as it's only us who're blowing ourselves away, we're somewhat comfortable with it and although I still believe that it'll be used as a training program in some circles and some people may get a guilty pleasure outta it, I'm not gonna hold it against any of you who'll purchase the game.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Did my joke comment really take this thread this far into the realm of seriousness?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:
Did my joke comment really take this thread this far into the realm of seriousness?
I don't think so, but it is something that's going to come up, it's just unavoidable. black zombies vs white guy, it really is in your face.

Eric

Fight On!,
Night of the Living Dead was all about a black guy killing white zombies with a crowbar.

Damn you racists!

PS: Hidden Character needs to include his pic in his post.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
I don't think so, but it is something that's going to come up, it's just unavoidable. black zombies vs white guy, it really is in your face.

The only way itd be more "In Yo Face" would be if they called the game "Nigger Zombies from Outer Space in 3-D"

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:

It's nothing against you at all, my long-ass post is a way of telling others who'll be grossly offended when the game comes out to sit their asses down somewhere and if they don't like it, don't play it because there're much more severe problems in real life than a game.

And for Eric...........

CC.jpg

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Eric said:
Night of the Living Dead was all about a black guy killing white zombies with a crowbar.

Damn you racists!
for me that added alot to the film. it's my favourite zombie flick. as I said in another thread, I might be racist somehow. or a wigger. which could be the same thing. somehow.

daybona

Juz,
Playing RE4 right now.

2009 can't come soon enough.

Heres hoping for demo in 08.

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
KanYozakura said:
I'm just wondering what mention RE5 will make to Code Veronica...

Yeah, I was wondering if the female at the end of the trailer was Alexia Ashford.

In another post someone guessed it might be Claire, but if it was, why such a sinister spotlight?

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
daybona said:
Playing RE4 right now.

2009 can't come soon enough.

The RE5 trailer got me to dust off my copy of RE4, too. I'm at the end of the Island and almost finished.

Along with this I'm also waiting for Capcom's XBLA version of Talisman slated for this fall. These two games are almost enough for me to want this summer to be over already.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
tsukaesugi said:
Yeah, I was wondering if the female at the end of the trailer was Alexia Ashford.

In another post someone guessed it might be Claire, but if it was, why such a sinister spotlight?

The other theory going around is that it's an older Sherry (which I'm kind of hoping since Alexia is supposed to be frickin' dead and I can't stand Claire).

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Hidden Character said:
It's been already stated that this game going to be taken so far out of context that Jesse and Al may as well wear the game CD around their dongs, pull out, and repeat. I'm looking at it through a gamer's perspective and not getting all bent outta shape with something I could just easily ignore if I wasn't interested. Even if the game's hero was an Af-Am or some global African member of S.T.A.R.S., it'd just be viewed as simulated black-on-black crime, but that didn't stop GTA:SA from selling like hotcakes, huh?

Perhaps the game could really shed some light on the various atrocities that already plague the continent through its social context, but all people will see is "white American cop blasting away at poor Africans" despite wielding knives, machetes, axes, a possible scythe, grappling hooks, and whatever else you can find out there in the Motherland while suffering from some horrible plague/disease that causes them to lose all rational thought while maintaining physical mechanics and improve their speed, strength, stamina. If Capcom had the game take place in China, you'd have to kill Chinese Zombies and the same would go for Australia, Italy, Peru, Mexico City, Manhattan, Cuba, Thailand, etc.

So when the droves of angry masses complain about the game's content, I'll ask them what about the seemingly neverending bloodbaths in Philly, Baltimore, St. Louis, NOLA, and Detroit? What about the 70K+ men, women, and children that have died at the hands of Bloods and Crips? What about the booming business of drive-thru funeral homes since so many folks kick the bucket due to violence? It leads me to believe that as long as it's only us who're blowing ourselves away, we're somewhat comfortable with it and although I still believe that it'll be used as a training program in some circles and some people may get a guilty pleasure outta it, I'm not gonna hold it against any of you who'll purchase the game.

This is an awesome post, I hope everyone read it.

You remind me so much of my friend Guy it isn't even funny. You're not Jamaican by any chance, are you? ;)