Rate it!! : Kizuna Edition

Rate it: Kizuna Encounter

• Total voters

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have always wonder about this game since some say its awesome and say its like Savage Reign, which I hate. So what would you rate it?

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Xian Xi said:
I have always wonder about this game since some say its awesome and say its like Savage Reign, which I hate. So what would you rate it?

I gave it an eight. For its time the graphics were amazing, and the music was
really cool. Savage Reign was the first game in the series. Kizuna is the 2nd
with the tag team added

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I give it a 7. Good, solid fighter that not many people gave much of a chance. Shame the last boss was so damn cheap!!!

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Gave it an 8. Kizuna is one of my favorite Neo fighters. When I had my cab it was always in it.

daybona

Juz,
Sara and Kim=Awesome.

The other fighters=Not so much.

It strikes me as one of the last of the great "old style" neo fighters.

Michael Yagami

daybona said:
Sara and Kim=Awesome.

I'm a Savage Reign fan and I really liked the SR character designs. Sara and Kim really don't seem to fit in that well with Mezu, Eagle, King Lion, Gordon and the rest. Probably why I never used either of them.

Sepeh

Crossed Swords Squire
Honestly.. it's not that good, especially when the game is really expensive. You can afford much better fighter titles with that kind of money, which you're going to throw for Kizuna Encounter.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Is not like savage reign at all, except for the returning characters the game feels completely different, they are both excellent games no doubt.

I want the 4P kit AARRRGGHHH!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
daybona said:
Sara and Kim=Awesome.

I don't think the sprites look old style like Savage Reign, is like the jump from Real Bout to Real Bout Special, the color differences where already up to par with the new wave of making sprites that started with the Alpha Series (I can barely see the road from the heat coming up!).

I rated a 9, because is an outstanding game, and the Boss is classic SNK cheapness, LOVE IT!!

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
This so gets the 9/10 from me. Fast, badass looking moves, awesome music and tons of personality all around. The small roster (even for its time) is the only reason I wouldn't give it a ten.

Worthless for tournament play since Kim Sue-Il, Rosa and King Lion are the only characters worth using for that, but there are very few fighters I've had more consistent fun with.

Was there any particular reason that Carol and Nicola from Savage Reign were cut from the game? They didn't fit with the style AT ALL but surely their presence wouldn't hurt.

Sorry guys but "Sara?" Come on. :shame:

Michael Yagami

Sepeh said:
Honestly.. it's not that good, especially when the game is really expensive. You can afford much better fighter titles with that kind of money, which you're going to throw for Kizuna Encounter.

Which is why you buy the bare MVS cart.

It was fun and solid, I gave it an 8. I was playing it last night as a matter of fact, then I got to the last stage, got irritated and turned it off......Ahhhhh.....you gotta love it...

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Voted 7: I've been playing this over the last couple of days and it is definitely fun, King Lion is just an utter pain in the ass though, any tips for beating him?

ilazul

Enemy Chaser
Voted 7: I've been playing this over the last couple of days and it is definitely fun, King Lion is just an utter pain in the ass though, any tips for beating him?

King Lion doesn't give me too much trouble, it's that fucking Jazu afterwards.

I voted 8/10 a while back and would still rate it as such. Kizuna is a great game, it (along with ninja master's) was a nice "hidden gem" I found out about after getting into the neo.

The style of the game is awesome, feels like an 80's brawl.

well, what you have to do is a sway to the back of the boss ( works with King and Jazu) and grab him.

Just do it over and over.

FTL

AES Price Guide Analyst, International Moderator,
Staff member
This so gets the 9/10 from me. Fast, badass looking moves, awesome music and tons of personality all around. The small roster (even for its time) is the only reason I wouldn't give it a ten.

Worthless for tournament play since Kim Sue-Il, Rosa and King Lion are the only characters worth using for that, but there are very few fighters I've had more consistent fun with.

Was there any particular reason that Carol and Nicola from Savage Reign were cut from the game? They didn't fit with the style AT ALL but surely their presence wouldn't hurt.

:

second all.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Seven sounds about right.

And it IS that good. Especially for the price. $40-$60 is completely reasonable for a game of this quality. Unless Sepeh there was talking about Euro AES or something, in which case I agree it's not worth that ridiculous AES price. But then that's true of a great many AES games. Mark of the Wolves sure the fuck isn't worth $500, either.

I like a lot of things about Kizuna, but I think the first thing that comes to my mind whenever I hear the name is the stage intros. I guess that's weird, but whatever. I like them.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Seven sounds about right.

And it IS that good. Especially for the price. $40-$60 is completely reasonable for a game of this quality. Unless Sepeh there was talking about Euro AES or something, in which case I agree it's not worth that ridiculous AES price. But then that's true of a great many AES games. Mark of the Wolves sure the fuck isn't worth $500, either.

I like a lot of things about Kizuna, but I think the first thing that comes to my mind whenever I hear the name is the stage intros. I guess that's weird, but whatever. I like them.

I like the stage intros too. I think SNK kinda used the same idea doing the MOTW stage intros as well. Kinda.

Michael Yagami

I stand by my 8 from 2 years ago.

I love Kizuna, it might be my favorite fighter on the Neo. The gameplay is fast, the sprites are great and I love the music.

The stage intros are tops. The crows scattering, the elevator doors opening up to the sky at the top level and let's not forget about Jyazu's stage open.

I always liked the lion head doors slamming on the stage after the fight was finished.

Great game that never really seems to get the respect it deserves.

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
Awesome game, went with an 8. There's a few things it could have used, few more chracters, better design on a couple, but it still plays great & even now looks really good, with the detailed sprites and all.

16-bit

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
I give this game a 9 too. My favorite fighter of all time followed by WW7.

Shawn

snkusa.com
I voted 6 because I currently need a copy of Euro Kizuna AES. Personally I consider Kizuna to be a 7.5. Never was a favorite of mine play wise but is certainly a collection centerpiece. Then again, I never got to play it in the arcade so never really got into it and it wasn’t until ’98 or ‘99 until I owned a copy (Japanese home version was 1st I’m sure).

Last edited: