Random game February: Top Hunter!

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
This month's random game is Top Hunter! Let's see some NeoGeo spirit!

TopHunterTitle.jpg

Available on: NeoGeo, Arcade Archives (PS4, Xbox, Switch), SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1 (PS2, Wii, PSP), Mame

Default settings:
Hero - 3
Difficulty - 4
Bonus - Second
Bonus Rate - 70k / 140k
Play Time - 1m 30s

Code:
Player         - Score    - Stage            - Character
egg_sanwich    - 205,500  - stage 3 (Wind)   - Roddy
Chosen One     - 192,200  - stage 3 (Wind)   - Roddy
ChuChu Flamingo- 166,900  - stage 3 (Wind)   - Roddy
Titchgamer     - 71,100   - stage 3 (Forest) - Roddy
snes_collector - 58,600   - stage 2 (Forest) - Roddy
Jeneki         - 53,900   - Stage 2 (Forest) - Roddy

Some special moves:
TopHunterMoves.jpg
These appear to be the same with both characters.

Last edited:

geise

Mickey's Coach
I used to be alright with this game when it initially came out. Been quite a while though. Should have some time this weekend for practice.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
Jeneki_TopHunter_53900.jpg
Jeneki - 53,900 - Forest 2 - Roddy

This appears to be one of those games where you have to work a bit just to get on the high score list. It took me a few tries. Good luck all.

I found a list of special moves in the Hamster manual, and added to the first post. There's some cool stuff in this game.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
EGM says this game is easy and requires little brain power. Sounds like it should be a quick 1cc right?

TopHunterReview.jpg

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
I got it set up in the cab and gave it a quick play. Only got 38,200 so I didn’t make it onto the high score table. It’s cool though. I’ll be putting some time in tomorrow and Monday.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
“Its way to easy”

“Its a good quarter muncher”

Two contradicting terms there.....

Haha yep. Also "requires little brain power" next to "lots of techniques to learn". I love finding ridiculous reviews for arcade games. :lolz:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Oh my gosh, the controls are taking some getting used to on this one. I don't have the cart but I downloaded it on the Wii VC. I even busted out my Wii Neo Geo controller. Only pitiful scores so far.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Chosen One - 108600 - Stage 2 (Fire) - Roddy - MVS

If you can perfect a bonus stage it’s worth 10k. I start with Forest and there’s a bonus stage in both sections.

Also, the scoreboard is a bitch to take a picture of. Only on the screen a couple seconds, after the demo.

230b46c05869638ec2b8082e36eb010d.jpg

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
8b69f20bef85e6f8ee6a9b956e72f6c2.jpg

Put this in Unrelated but posting it here as well, enter a score and I’ll put your name in to get this poster for free.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Oh my gosh, the controls are taking some getting used to on this one. I don't have the cart but I downloaded it on the Wii VC. I even busted out my Wii Neo Geo controller. Only pitiful scores so far.

Yup, same here. So many easy deaths from missed jumps over rolling rocks, etc. Special moves are a struggle to use reliably as well.

Still have yet to make it to the high score table...

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I co-oped this game to death in college with my roommate and finish it on 1 credit (each). My skills have eroded unfortunately, but will see if I can get a high score later.

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
If you can perfect a bonus stage it’s worth 10k.
Yes a bonus stage is the only reason I got on the score board. I really like how so many things are "hidden in plain sight", as the backgrounds are surprisingly interactive in this game.

Nice score!

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
This game is really growing on me as I get more comfortable with the controls.

Still struggling with the bonus stages (only got 1/6 perfect on this run), and the special moves are still a crapshoot.

egg_sanwich - 205,500 - roddy - stage 3 (Wind)

35150cd4fe8f916f45f05e55ebe5f6e5.jpg

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Finally made it onto the score board lol

Titchgamer stage 3 of forest Roddy

4b169999759aaa872afa90b7de9ef669.jpg

Last edited:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
snes_collector - 58600 - Forest 2 - Roddy

2inLISB.jpg

This game is not easy and the controls take some getting used to as others said. Fun game once you (kinda) get the hang of it

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Im0jC8L.jpg

Popped in a few credits, pretty cool you can do fighting game inputs. I wonder if the shoryuken or slide has invincibility.I find them easy to do but then again I play a shit ton of fighting games. Game does have some beginner traps though with snowballs etc.

Are there more than one bonus stage? I only got one in stage 3 wind.

I will have to pick this up sometime, it is pretty fun. Completed Forest & Ice Level, and died on Wind at the guy with the robot mech.

ChuChu Flamingo - 166,900 Roddy Stage 3 Wind

Last edited:

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Im0jC8L.jpg

Popped in a few credits, pretty cool you can do fighting game inputs. I wonder if the shoryuken or slide has invincibility.I find them easy to do but then again I play a shit ton of fighting games. Game does have some beginner traps though with snowballs etc.

Are there more than one bonus stage? I only got one in stage 3 wind.

I will have to pick this up sometime, it is pretty fun. Completed Forest & Ice Level, and died on Wind at the guy with the robot mech.

ChuChu Flamingo - 166,900 Roddy Stage 3 Wind

Nice score ChuChu.

I think every (or almost every) stage has a bonus level, so be sure to look around.

Glad to hear you’re able to pull off the special moves as well. My fighting game skills are weak, so it’s good to know it’s just me and not the game.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
caff77703629828880fdeeec875a0034.jpg

Chosen One - 192,200 - Stage 3 (Wind) - MVS

Pretty good run, wind was a tough stage. From what I can tell the stage changes based on order. So basically if you play fire first it’s not too hard and has different traps/enemies than if you choose it second or third etc. Kinda cool compared to other games where you can select your starting stage you’re just picking the order you want to play them, in Top Hunter the stage itself will be different. Puts a bit more strategy into picking your stages.

I’m pretty positive there’s a bonus stage on every level (so 2 for each ie Forest, Wind etc). Some are easy to spot like the boarded up hole in a tree in Forest. Some are much harder. There’s one in a Fire stage where there’s a rock wall you can’t go past and have to switch planes but if you start punching the wall, the edge falls off the rock and opens a hole in the ground.

I can’t consistently do any of the special moves except for the tapping A. Which is handy for putting the sub boss in a corner and taking him down quickly

Last edited: