Questions for overweight people

Pocketgamer

Ukyo's Doctor
15 Year Member
I was slim in my teenage years, till I was about 17, I started gaining weight fast. I puffed up to 200 pounds. I always loved jogging and that helped me slim down to about 166 which I maintained till I was about 32 years old. The past 4 years I ballooned back to 200 pounds but for some reason I couldn't understand why I couldn't keep the weight off, till I realized that just about all food is processed and contains lots of sugar. Processed foods contain lots of preservatives, chemicals that can make you sick and cause inflammation thru-out your body, when you stressed out by inflammation your body releases a substance called cortisol which increases sugars in your body. Your body stores sugars and converts them to fat. Also, I try to stay away from drinks that have high fructose corn syrup because its basically sugar and turns into fat. I'm eating more organic foods like mexican food, chinese food (vegetables with chicken) heck even subway is better than eating pizza or hamburgers everyday. Its true that Mexican food can be greasy but its more natural and your body can break it down easier than chemicals, plus the protein in the meat can help with maintaining muscle.

What I do is lift weights and jog, the body can get used to you jogging after a while. It happened to me, so what I did is jog in the morning and then again, late afternoon. This created a momentum going forward as a result I'm losing weight fast. Since I created the momentum I didn't find the need to jog twice a day. I'm probably under 160, I can see a six pack (still need a little more), my arms have defined biceps, my chest is puffed up from doing push ups. I was barely able to do 10 push ups about 5 months ago, I can now do 40 push ups using my knuckles.

Also, this maybe controversal to some but, praying helps too. Read this bible verse(ESV): Ephesians 6:11, it talks about powers and principalities that are invisible, whether you believe it or not they are real and can cause inflammation in the body. What ever affects the spirit also affects the body because we are the holy temple of the lord. 1 corinthians 6:19-20. If your faith is strong you can also pray for healing.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
If anyone is looking for nutrition advice, please check that you're getting it from peer-reviewed scientific research (i.e. something involving properly-designed clinical trials). There are many, many people looking to make a quick buck selling you snake-oil. Generally, if something claims to be healthy because it is "natural" or "organic", your bullshit alarms should be firing.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
If anyone is looking for nutrition advice, please check that you're getting it from peer-reviewed scientific research (i.e. something involving properly-designed clinical trials). There are many, many people looking to make a quick buck selling you snake-oil. Generally, if something claims to be healthy because it is "natural" or "organic", your bullshit alarms should be firing.

This is a big one...a real big one. So much shit advice out there, there really is.

I'll say I followed no fad, no plan, no "diet". I kept it real simple. When I was in mass-weight loss mode it was really easy:

Is it bad for you? Then don't eat it.

There you go. Very little sugar, little processed foods, no booze, smaller portions. Eat when you are hungry, screw "calorie counting"...I managed to drop 100lbs and never once counted calories. Some days my body required more fuel than others, so I ate more. Starving yourself is a horrible idea.

Once I lost the weight, I'll admit that I do not not eat the best at all times...but I just limit things. I did get pretty out of hand starting Dec of '14 and that ran through about 2-3 months ago. Managed to put on 10 lbs...but I still cycled often. Now, with the triathlon training, I'm more strict.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
you can't go wrong with fresh food: vegetables, meat, fruits, grains, nuts, eggs, milk, yogurt

anything you have to cook and prepare yourself, doesn't have to be organic

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
This is a big one...a real big one. So much shit advice out there, there really is.

I'll say I followed no fad, no plan, no "diet". I kept it real simple. When I was in mass-weight loss mode it was really easy:

Is it bad for you? Then don't eat it.

There you go. Very little sugar, little processed foods, no booze, smaller portions. Eat when you are hungry, screw "calorie counting"...I managed to drop 100lbs and never once counted calories. Some days my body required more fuel than others, so I ate more. Starving yourself is a horrible idea.

Once I lost the weight, I'll admit that I do not not eat the best at all times...but I just limit things. I did get pretty out of hand starting Dec of '14 and that ran through about 2-3 months ago. Managed to put on 10 lbs...but I still cycled often. Now, with the triathlon training, I'm more strict.

Counting calories isn't starving yourself. By setting the amount of calories you can eat, you can better plan your full filling meals. You exercise a lot by riding your bike, the op doesn't exercise or eat healthy. He was gifted for having a great metabolism, now it seems its gone.

Op doesn't want to exercise so his best option is knowing how much calories he can eat per day. He can maintain his weight or if he choose to lose weight, have a caloric deficit.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
you can't go wrong with fresh food: vegetables, meat, fruits, grains, nuts, eggs, milk, yogurt

anything you have to cook and prepare yourself, doesn't have to be organic

Sound advice.

Addition: When you cook, pay attention to flavor. If a recipe calls for X-amount of sugar, try just enough to taste (unless its required for the recipe). A little less can go a long way.

Also, get off your fat ass and exercise. It'll do you a world of good mentally as well as physically.

Obese people make a choice to live the way they do. If you choose to eat shit constantly and not do anything to change it, then you deserve to be 600lbs. and you deserve to be mocked and ridiculed.

There was a person in RI not too long ago who had to be lifted out of his apartment with a crane... a FUCKING CRANE. The person/family living there couldnt afford to bring the equipment in, so the state (i.e. taxpayers) had to foot the bill. If you let it get to that point, then I hope they fucking stone you.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Counting calories isn't starving yourself. By setting the amount of calories you can eat, you can better plan your full filling meals. You exercise a lot by riding your bike, the op doesn't exercise or eat healthy. He was gifted for having a great metabolism, now it seems its gone.

Op doesn't want to exercise so his best option is knowing how much calories he can eat per day. He can maintain his weight or if he choose to lose weight, have a caloric deficit.

For me, it was.

At my worst, I had the same problem, slow metabolism due to years of physical abuse. In time, it kicked back into hyper drive...even more so once I began long distance cycling. It didn't take long until I was just freaking starving all of the time, I had to eat more.

It reminded me of basic training, where as long as it wasn't sugar, we were allowed to eat all we wanted. Stuffing our faces with crappy mess hall food, we still managed to drop weight like it was nothing.

Again...I get it with the op...but I guess I'm saying that perhaps rather than spend a shit ton of time counting calories and putting everything he consumes under the microscope...maybe he should just exercise more.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your feedback on this, it's been interesting reading.

To reiterate, what I'm going to try straight off the bat is a couple of easy changes just to curb the expansion. I'm ditching the cider plus the only thing I'll be able to snack on in the evening will be boiled eggs. I'm also ditching breakfast (could always take it or leave it anyway). With these simple changes I should be able to start making a dent in it. The essence of this is that I'm cutting almost all sugar out of my diet.

Regarding exercise - I'll tell you one thing that's pissed me off about all of this a lot. I've had a few stints of thinking to myself right, I'm sick of being a skinny cunt, time to put some beef on, and hit the gym hard. Heavy (for me) weights, low reps, three times a week. Nothing. I read some more, did the same, nothing. I read some more, and some more, then it hit me, diet. The thing that has always held me back has been my diet - I've simply never had the appetite to gain weight, I'd skip meals, eat shit and but not that much of it, basically just smoke and drink my body through the day.

That all stopped when I quit smoking - my metabolism seemed to fall through the floor and my desire to eat definitely increased, I don't think I've skipped a meal since. Perfect I thought, I'm finally gaining weight, if I can keep the protein levels on the high side maybe I can make some muscle out of this situation.

I injured myself within a month, fucked up my back pretty good, and just when I was starting to see some definite results. That was about three years ago and it's still a mess, disc damage, constant pain, long waiting lists. So until the NHS drags it's nuts out of the stone age increasing the exercise isn't really on the cards, even though I know that's the right thing to do.

skateonwalls

I love sexy knickers!,
20 Year Member
Skipping breakfast is a bad habit,it's gonna make you want to have a bigger meal latter. Try something simple,a banana and a breakfast bar or a bowl of cereal.I would start off cutting back,then try to improve slowly. If you just focus on your diet,cut out soda,your gonna lose weight.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Whatever you do, don't eat chili dogs... at midnight... in front of my computer... replying to this thread...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Thanks everyone for your feedback on this, it's been interesting reading.

To reiterate, what I'm going to try straight off the bat is a couple of easy changes just to curb the expansion. I'm ditching the cider plus the only thing I'll be able to snack on in the evening will be boiled eggs. I'm also ditching breakfast (could always take it or leave it anyway). With these simple changes I should be able to start making a dent in it. The essence of this is that I'm cutting almost all sugar out of my diet.

Regarding exercise - I'll tell you one thing that's pissed me off about all of this a lot. I've had a few stints of thinking to myself right, I'm sick of being a skinny cunt, time to put some beef on, and hit the gym hard. Heavy (for me) weights, low reps, three times a week. Nothing. I read some more, did the same, nothing. I read some more, and some more, then it hit me, diet. The thing that has always held me back has been my diet - I've simply never had the appetite to gain weight, I'd skip meals, eat shit and but not that much of it, basically just smoke and drink my body through the day.

That all stopped when I quit smoking - my metabolism seemed to fall through the floor and my desire to eat definitely increased, I don't think I've skipped a meal since. Perfect I thought, I'm finally gaining weight, if I can keep the protein levels on the high side maybe I can make some muscle out of this situation.

I injured myself within a month, fucked up my back pretty good, and just when I was starting to see some definite results. That was about three years ago and it's still a mess, disc damage, constant pain, long waiting lists. So until the NHS drags it's nuts out of the stone age increasing the exercise isn't really on the cards, even though I know that's the right thing to do.

I think those sound like some good ideas. No reason to go all gung-ho at first. Ease it on.

I think skipping breakfast is a really bad idea though. Why don't you just eat healthier for breakfast. I think taking foods you can grab and go is key, and hard boiled eggs would fit this perfectly. The thing about eggs, is that even though they have a ton of cholesterol, they are so good for you, that it really outweighs that one negative. If you can manage to like avacados, then one of those, and a hard boiled egg, and a piece of real fruit would hold you over for many hours. The egg has your protein, the fruit your sugar, and the avacado has your natural fat. I normally just cut an avacado in half, and pull out the two halves, if you put a piece of bacon on there it makes it that much better. Plus hard boiled eggs last awhile, and can be made in mass, and eaten for a few days. Another go to for me are Cliff or Kind bars. They really help a lot, if you need a easy fix.

I really think people confuse hunger as some thing that makes you feel crappy when you don't do it, and the answer is to put as much in there as possible. When in all reality, the answer is that you need to add nutrients to your body. A well rounded breakfast, like fruit, nuts, and and egg, that is very small, will hold you over longer than a big mac, french fry, and coke. It's all about making the correct choices to give your body the nutrients it needs.

Another good thing to try is taking a normal meal, and cutting it in half, and eating the other half later. For example if I do go out and eat, say I go to a steakhouse and get an 8oz steak, a baked potato, and a vegetable, I will immediately pull half of everything off, eat the other half, and save the second half for lunch the next day. You soon find out that half that meal is really all you need, and you save money by getting 2 meals for the price of one.

The reason you got hungry after quitting smoking is because

1. When you quit smoking, your sugar is all screwed up. You body wants more sugar. This is why people drop the cancer sticks, and pick up soda or energy drinks.

2. When you are a smoker, first thing in the morning you body releases cholesterol into your blood. This is why most smokers can just skip breakfast, as cholesterol in your blood stream makes you not want to eat. When you quit you no longer have that cholesterol in the morning, and your stomach will be growling in the morning. At least mine does now.

With you back issues, maybe you should see a doctor, I assume you have, but another visit might be in order. You say exercising is too hard, but it might really be what you need. Perhaps, if you power through it, and work you back, you will get some more muscle in there, and it might correct some of the problems you are having. I know back pain can be pretty brutal, but you really should seek a professional opinion on this, and ask about non-narcotic alternatives that include exercise.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Whatever you do, don't eat chili dogs... at midnight... in front of my computer... replying to this thread...

But they're so good. One of my weaknesses. We have this little place here in columbus called dirty franks. It's all hot dogs. My lady manages to get me to go there a few times a year on special occasions. I always get 2 hot dogs, with sriracha sour kraut. Now I make them at home sometimes, because I can do it better. If you like kraut, they're the shit.

Last edited:

DragonmasterDan

King's Dry Cleaner
In a lot of cases the bigger factor than age to your gaining weight is changes in lifestyle.

I'm 34 now and 10 years makes a massive difference.
When I was 24 I weighed about 80 lbs less than I do presently. What changed?

For the second half of my years in college, I didn't have a car. Most of the time I walked to and from school. If the weather was nice enough I used my motorcycle to get around but overall I was way more physically active than I am today. Being a poor college student I didn't eat out at restaurants very much and when I did it was on the cheap. Due to its proximity to my college campus I had many a "dinner" that consisted of two KFC snackers and a cup of water. And then walked several miles home to burn off calories.

Once I finished college I got a car again, I no longer was as dependent on walking everywhere. I got a job and suddenly had money to eat a little more appetizing and a lot more food than I had been eating. And after a few years I was in completely different shape. It's not just metabolism that changes as you age, it's life that changes.

Last edited:

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
In a lot of cases the bigger factor than age to your gaining weight is changes in lifestyle.

This.

I used to be overweight. Then I changed my lifestyle. Cut out processed foods, watched my caloric intake, took up jogging. Went from 84kg to 61kg and from 25% body fat to 16%. Went from not being able to run a mile without side stitches to a sub 7 minute mile.

This is also why I'm on the forums a lot less than I used to be, instead of unwinding on the forums I spend my time running and cooking.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
For me, it was simple. Abuse your frame for 10 years straight and see where it gets you.

Zero exercise, quit smoking, let your sleep apnea get out of control. I ate, and ate...and then, after the meat sweats went away...I ate some more. My only exercise was either walking to the fridge or having sex with my wife. Breakfast was doughnuts and coffee, "break" was a bag of Doritos and a bottle of Pepsi. Lunch was McDonalds. Dinner was whatever crap I had at the house, then I topped off the day with some ice cream or whatever. I would burn through a case of pepsi and Mt. Dew every week.

Like I said,when I began working out of a hotel around 2006...shit really "took off" for me. Eating three meals a day on the company CC was a very bad thing for me...and my body paid the price.

Finally, I just had enough and knocked it off. It took a year before I had the strength to actually do real cardio, after that...losing weight was easy.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Buy AES carts... less money for food and alcohol!!! Be a big thymer that stays hungry!!!

Nah, jokes and what not. Sugars, alcohol and carbs are the same damn thing when it comes down to it. E. Kawasaki da Boss knows I love to drink Jameson neat these days... tends to keep my weight just a little more consistent. Weigh in 5-10lbs less than drinking on some crafty St. Helen's Old Sewing Machine Ale or some shit.

Eat protein meat and mostly beans, fiber like quinoa and seedy breads, veggies from okra up to yellow squash, garlic and onions to flavor the mentioned up to this point and fruity yummyness like bananas, kiwi, mango and avocado (with mayo, its good).

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
201508_1448_hgcdh_sm.jpg

Marek

Banned
Also, this maybe controversal to some but, praying helps too. Read this bible verse(ESV): Ephesians 6:11, it talks about powers and principalities that are invisible, whether you believe it or not they are real and can cause inflammation in the body. What ever affects the spirit also affects the body because we are the holy temple of the lord. 1 corinthians 6:19-20. If your faith is strong you can also pray for healing.

:kekeke: