Question?...Neo Cd

m8zing

New Challenger
So my question is if you get a us AES but have a Japanese game it plays in english. Vice-versa with a Japanese system. Does a neo geo cd system work the same way? I'm having a hell of a time finding a us neo cd system so I don't want to buy the Japanese system but then have all my games in japanese.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Put an English game in a Japanese system and it'll be in English, at least that is how I remember it being. The music player startup screen will be in Japanese however.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
It's no different from the AES. System bios region dictates region output of the game unless you change settings or have a unibios.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Pope is right. Also, the Neo CD has region jumpers on the mobo so you can easily mod it to whatever region you want or install a switch. Alternatively, a version of UniBios is now available.

m8zing

New Challenger
Now the question is as with most early cd systems/attatchments is a top loader more reliable than a front loader?

Pope Sazae

Now the question is as with most early cd systems/attatchments is a top loader more reliable than a front loader?

Yes and much much easier to repair if needed.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
On region one thing worth noting it's a lot of the later games that were popular when the cd came out have a language setting so region isn't relevant. My CDZ has a region mod, but I often set it for Japanese region with English text in game to avoid censorship.

m8zing

New Challenger
Is it worth ponyin up the extra dough for a cdz if I can find one. Is a $150 including shipping a good deal for a cd with 2 controllers & 4 games KOF 95 96 & 97 plus samurai spirits 4

Pope Sazae

Is it worth ponyin up the extra dough for a cdz if I can find one. Is a $150 including shipping a good deal for a cd with 2 controllers & 4 games KOF 95 96 & 97 plus samurai spirits 4

If you can find a CDZ buy it

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Dear God yes. Half the library is unplayable due to loading on the regular units but are just fine on the Z

m8zing

New Challenger
That bad huh? So far cheapest one is on ebay @ $180 which it states in the description the system sometimes loads cds

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Tbh the price you're going to pay for a CDZ you could just get a CMVS and have no load times at all. Plus most MVS carts are cheaper than their Neo Cd versions, though there are some exceptions. Though supposedly now you can remove the optical drive from a ncd and install a hard drive in it and load any game you want have much of a load time and you dont need a cdz for that.

Last edited:

m8zing

New Challenger
Well I have an AES now & about 20 games for it. The games that I don't have I can't find or are incredibly expensive so I'm going to neo cd to have one to collect as well as get some games that I want to play that I can't get or play on AES

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I think it depends; if you are going to be playing a lot of fighters, get the CDZ, but if you are not, I think many of the other games have tolerable load times, specially since some of them only need to load once. Frankly, if you are going to be playing a lot of fighters though, you should just go MVS all together.

Is the uni bios available for the neo cd specifically made for it, is it hard to install? Would like to get one for my cdz now that I know there is such a thing.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
That bad huh? So far cheapest one is on ebay @ $180 which it states in the description the system sometimes loads cds

Like 1 in 10 tries. XD

Last edited:

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
CDZ all the way if your set on a CD system, makes the load times mostly insignificant.... Just don't play LB2.... or SSRPG, nothing can help those 2.

sir arthur

War Room Troll
Yeah, as everybody has said, most of the games below 300 megs are perfect for a CDZ. The CD one has some awful loading times

White Devil

Hardened Shock Trooper
Wish I got a CDZ for closer to $100 when I was scoping them out in 2012... Remember seeing a few sell and thinking, eh, when the price goes down

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Wish I got a CDZ for closer to $100 when I was scoping them out in 2012... Remember seeing a few sell and thinking, eh, when the price goes down

You are not the only one :(
Happened also to few games, back in 2008 went to japan and saw quite a "cheap" waku waku 7 (around 140usd) and ninja masters (around 300).... decided to pass, worst decision ever :lolz:

Elder

NEST Puppet
If only it was $100 now...

Seriously! It amazes me how the prices of retro games have skyrocketed over the past decade or so. I remember actively using eBay to fill in the gabs in my SEGA CD and Saturn collections, and I'm so glad I did. I bought Snatcher for around $65, and today...well...it goes for crazy amounts. I see the same holds true for Neo-related goods as well.