Queens of the Stone Age Villians

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Holy Duck King this album is really great!!!! Looking forward to how it grows after many listens. Villains, whooops. Jameson happens.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'm a massive QotSA fan...I'll be getting it this weekend. I listen to their entire library (as well as Them Crooked Vultures) weekly.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I need to listen to it. I saw their 2013 tour. Liked "Like Clockwork".

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I've always thought QotSA are kind of boring and kind of skim the surface of stoner rock. But I do like their singles. And I really like the album art for this new one. I'll give it a listen if it's streaming for free online.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
You know I got the album!!!! Grabbed it right after work. TBH I downloaded the leak a week or two ago, so I already knew it rocked. I wish there more songs, but since all nine are great, I'm ok with it. Not sure yet if I like it better than their last album, but it's pretty fucking good..... Really digging "Fortress".

I'm a massive QotSA fan...I'll be getting it this weekend. I listen to their entire library (as well as Them Crooked Vultures) weekly.

Them Crooked Vultures are great! Have you also checked out Desert Sessions (Josh Homme and various friends side project), Eagles of Deathmetal, Mondo Generator, Kyuss)

I've always thought QotSA are kind of boring and kind of skim the surface of stoner rock. But I do like their singles. And I really like the album art for this new one. I'll give it a listen if it's streaming for free online.

Boring? Like the singles? Come on man, you know that with most good rock bands, the good songs aren't the singles. Give any of these albums a full listen through at least two or three times and you will change your mind: Rated R, Songs for the Deaf, Era Vulgarus (do yourself a favor and also listen to both songs, "Era Vulgarus" and "The Fun Machine Took a Shit and Died"), ...Like Clockwork.

Also, if you like the artwork on this album, I suggest you check out the five or so videos from "...Like Clockwork", he not only did the art for the album, but the videos as well.

Also, what are "good" stoner rock bands? I really only consider their (QOTSA's) first album to be stoner rock, but I dig it. This is an honest question, not trying to be a dick.

Check out the vinyl. Too bad I don't have a turntable. Maybe with releases like this and MANY others, I should just get one already.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Sorry I don't love your favorite band, buddy. I've listened to three of their albums. They're not bad at all. They just don't stand out to me. The riffs are repetitive and the vocals tend to not be catchy except in the singles, with the exception, off the top of my head, of Song for the Deaf (the song) and Another Love. I'll give 'em another shot, but I definitely have a mental post-it note saying nothing really caught my ear to the point where I would buy one of the albums I listened to. (I did buy Songs for the Deaf on release.)

I know QotSA don't consider themselves stoner rock, but, from what I've heard, they either need to admit that they are a stoner rock - or as some people prefer "desert rock" - band, or at least admit that they borrow heavily from the genre insofar as guitar tones, riffs, and vocal delivery go. I'm no stoner rock expert, but you might want to check out Kinski, Goblin Cock, Boris, Kyuss, Red Fang, The Cosmic Dead, and Acid King.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Not surprising that you like a band whose name starts with "Queens."

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
So......I got it a few days ago, I've had a chance to listen to it a few times.

It's pretty far from their best work, too soft for my taste, too many ballads.

I think they're getting to the point where you can just make your own "mix tape" of your favorite songs and make a super big, super awesome album.

*EDIT*

Yeah...really, really not feeling this one at all. I was listening to it yesterday and found myself skipping tracks...and then finding myself back at the beginning again. There's just something "off" about the whole thing.

Even the first track, Feet Don't Fail Me, has nearly 2 full min of just noise before the actual song even begins. The first time you're listening to the album? Ok, fine. After that? It's gets old in a hurry.

Its inevitable that a good band will release a bad album, it is what it is.

Last edited: