PVM vs BVM: Is It Really Worth It?

caughdrops

n00b
Hey gamers,

I was wondering if you felt that the cost difference between PVM models and a BVM 20F1U / G1U is worth it? I have been mulling over Sony monitors for a while now and thought I would ask the experts.

If you are in the PVM camp what models do you recommend? I am looking to use it for my Omega, Famicom Twin, and maybe my SNES.

Thanks

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
AFAIK, BVM monitors are like higher-end than PVMs. Not in quality, but they have more options, and have more/different connectors. For connecting a games console, a 20" PVM is great. Try to find one that includes speakers and stereo audio.

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I would say, no. I got my BVM 20G1U for about what a decent PVM goes for. That's the only reason I actually bought it to replace my PVM. The BVM to PVM gap is less than the PVM to high-end Trinitron gap. The Sony brand gets a lot of love, and they made many, many monitors compared to the other companies. However, they also tend to be more expensive because they are more well-known. So, if you are patient and thrifty, you may be able to score another brand for much less monies.

As for models, themselves, make sure it accepts RGB via BNC, and you should be fine. This is just a rule-of-thumb for me since the older models had a 25-pin connector, and older models likely have more hours. Hence, they have less life left and a weaker picture. There aren't any "bad" monitors that I know of, just make sure it accepts RGB.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
If the price is the same, sure, get the BVM. I wouldn't pay more for one myself. In fact, some of the PVMs have a warmer picture that look better to me. It's all subjective at this point. Try not to get hung up on the details ;)

caughdrops

n00b
Wow, thanks for the speedy input everyone!

I have never seen a BVM for sale locally, so I will stick to the PVM upon your recommendations :]

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
unless you're lucky or on the hunt regularly you probably won't have a choice

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I would say the number of TV-Lines is more important than PVM vs. BVM.
There are PVMs with 800 TVL, you know...

caughdrops

n00b
I actually found some Ikegami TM20-17R monitors for a reasonable price locally and was considering them. Thoughts?

CrazyDean

Zero's Secretary
I actually found some Ikegami TM20-17R monitors for a reasonable price locally and was considering them. Thoughts?

There is a review of this one in the CRT review thread. It was a "budget" monitor. It's still high-end, with about 600 TVL. I guess it depends on how reasonably priced they are.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
That's pretty reasonable. You could have one for tate, one yoko. ;)

caughdrops

n00b
The plot thickens.. There's someone not far from me with a BVM-20G1U for $200 with a little scuff in the center. Decisions, decisions!

haightc

n00b
For a small difference I would go for a bvm over a pvm. I can tell the difference in image quality between my pvm and bvm but both have image good image quality. The ikegami is a good buy though. I have a TM20-19R which treats me okay. Ikegamis tend to vary more on features model to model versus Sony. My 13" bvm I got for 30 and my 20 PVM I picked for a 100$. While the Sony has a much better picture and comb filter, I don't regret the ikegami as I like the size increase.

I will add though got a Sony PVM-14M4U up and running again, finally got time to work on it. I have to say the picture is fantastic, possible better than my Sony BVM-1310. I do agree that my Ikegami feels a little more arcade like and might be good choice for NeoGeo, plus it seem to be more tolerant of out-of-spec video signals from a couple of my systems.

Last edited:

caughdrops

n00b
Great input. I do like the Arcade feel. If I had enough money to be slutty I would get both, but I've bought too many MVS carts this month :P

haightc

n00b
By the specs those TM20-17R might be better than the TM20-19R I have. Mine has there composites and one RGB and is NSTC only. I believe neither one of these these has externally adjustable convergence, so I recommend you look at that carefully. The in-between model (TM20-18R) is closer to BVM specs, external adjustable convergence and higher resolution but uses a proprietary plug for s-video. The Sony BVM comb filter seems to do a slightly better job with composite video. If you are mostly using it for NeoGeo, I would assume it would be using RGB and the image quality would be much closer even on the 600 TVL ikegami which should be a bit better than a standard arcade monitor. A newer Sony PVM and older BVM should produce sharper contrast and have a higher line count but that might not be what you want.

caughdrops

n00b
My friend is getting the Ikegamis, I'm getting the 20G1U. Has the control unit, SDI card and BNC RGB card. Maybe one day I'll weasel one of the Ikegamis off of him, but I've always wanted a BVM.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Based on what I've seen, BVMs tend to have much thicker/darker scanlines than the majority of PVMs. They were a lot more prominent than what I see on my Egret II at the very least.

caughdrops

n00b
I picked up the BVM on Sunday, my buddy missed out on the Ikegami monitors. Interesting you said they have thicket scan lines, still waiting for my BNC to SCART to mess around.