PVM 2950Q Geometry Issue

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Hey all, so I wanted to start topic here as to not shit up the CRT fetish thread.

I recently bought a PVM 2950Q that has some lower VBOW issue (My PVM is FROWNING :( )
I've gone through the service manual, reset all menus, re-adjusted all settings in the regular and service menus and this is the best I can get it
lbmmi8C.jpg

I don't believe this is a convergence issue, but at this point some helpful members here have suggested
Going inside the tv and looking for pots (kind of freaked out about this)
That it's not fixable (not sure on that one)

I'm hoping someone here might have seen this and fixed it one way or another.

If I need to get it fixed somehow by a legit technician, what would be a fair price to pay?

This is kind of a bummer as when I nabbed this, I figured some service menu tweaking would fix it.
Thanks all,

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Sorry to not be of help, but I am fairly certain there's no way to fix this in the service menu. Since the white looks like it's actually white, it shouldn't be convergence, otherwise you'd probably see other colors bleeding out.

As far as paying someone, honestly I'd be willing to pay a decent amount to save a 29" PVM, especially if the brightness/scanlines etc look good. The issue nowadays is just finding someone qualified who still works on them.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thanks Skate,
The thing is everything else looks beautiful, color, lines etc.

It's like someone kicked it right in the invisible balls and they never dropped back down.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
If its a cap kit thats needed.. see if maybe you can pull the chasis from the monitor. If thats the case, then I got a place that will fix it for ya.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thanks DZ ;)
I've talked to two places local that will take a look at the TV, either way Im going to be out around $150 to get something fixed (assuming there are parts to be found)
Caps are one thing, if that fixes it, I'll have them replace others as well to future-proof best I can. If it's a coil (which is another possibility) then I might be up shit creek.
I suppose I'm at the precipice with something like this. Sell it and embrace a framemeister at some point, or pay to keep this thing kicking knowing that if something else blows up down the road, I'm out all that cash and back in the same boat.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Just an update, the TV is back and it's alive!
Turns out it had problems with the pincushion circuit, about 12 bad/failing caps and some other weak components/joints.

To have it picked up at the house & taken to the shop, parts/labor/repair/burn in test, and dropped back off at the house, set me back $170 total and while expensive, it was worth it to me.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Great news ballz! Well worth the cash, I think.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thanks brotha,
Now to wait until a 8pin din arrives so i can rgb mod this 2 slot.

Last edited:

julencin2000

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm with GohanX, it's a fine piece of tech that deserves each of those dollars. Now enjoy it playing some VHS.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
My PVM-2950Q has recently developed this same exact issue, except it's intermittent on mine. :( Did you serviceman keep a record of what exactly was replaced? I've already replaced every capacitor on the entire chassis, and two ICs on the VC board (the board that controls pincushion and skew adjustments) with no dice. Next step is to replace all of the transistors on the VC board and one possible suspect IC on the main A board that is part of the pincushion circuit. If that doesn't work then it could be a cold solder joint.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Heya Andy.
Sadly he did not, only told me what I had posted above. :(
Looking for joints isn't a bad idea of course but I wish I could be of more help to you.

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
Fixed the issue! Turns out it was just a cold solder joint. If anyone experiences this problem in the future I recommend touching up all of the solder points on the VC board, as well as replacing all of the caps for good measure.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Nice job man, thanks for sharing the fix!
Did you have to discharge this model before working or did it have an auto discharge?

andy251203

Hardened Shock Trooper
I believe all PVMs have auto discharge. There's nothing in any PVM service manual I've read that indicates that you need to discharge the anode.

Jimmy Joe

n00b
Anybody have some tips on how adjusting the pots inside these monitors will affect the picture?
I have a PVM 2530 and the picture is a bit wonky on the upper left corner of the screenpicture distortion.jpg.

Maybe the upper right corner a bit too.

Anyways thanks in advance for any help