Puzzle Bobble

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Already said this, but the handwritten numbering is shady; I have a couple repair-job carts, none of which has handwritten nubmers. However, my bootleg Bomberman has handwrittten numbers. Also, the fact that different EPROMS are used indicates that it may have been homemade. One final point, it seems that most EPROM repair jobs, or at least some, have little pieces of white tape on those chips.

I'd suggest looking at the chips that DO appear to be original, and compare them to a PowerSpikes2 cart; it may be one of the ones that SNK converted from that.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Other insights?

Thanks for your input

Luckly I only got taken for a $20 cart instead of a $100 one

Any other opinions is it for sure a boot?

Koopa64

Sieger's Squire
Yeah, it is hard to say, whether it's a repair, boot or original.

While one way you could say the left board is total boot, but the board itself looks original.

Also, the fact that only two of the chips are original makes me a bit wary, because everything else is a windowed EPROM. I'd cover them up with electrical tape anyways, just to be safe.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On a Puzzle Bobble cart, whenever there are more than 2 windowed eproms it a boot already.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
This is the first cart I have ever opened up-- So thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

What is the importance of covering the windowed emproms...is there a chance of data loss if I dont cover them or is there another consequence?

Cheers

jediurchin

Crazed MVS Addict
Yep, Eeproms are erased using UV which can be done by the sun if exposed :D Cover up and be safe :)

arfink

Crossed Swords Squire
I'd suggest looking at the chips that DO appear to be original, and compare them to a PowerSpikes2 cart; it may be one of the ones that SNK converted from that.

Apparently in some arcade operator circles it was well known that power spikes was a good puzzle bobble sac cart, and operators would simply grab eproms and make their own duplicates. Many of these boots made from seemingly cobbled together parts were done by arcade operators themselves. Sometimes you can even still see some marks on the eproms where they were pulled from other games. For example, I have a puzzle bobble boot (graciously donated by Jag Master) which some of the eproms inside still have the Capcom holographic stickers on them from whatever poor Capcom game they were ripped out of.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
Interesting stuff guys

Thanks for sharing

So do you guys think the random reboot issue would still happen if I were to try it in a cab or consolized MVS rather than what I am expierencing on my phantom 1???

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
In all honesty a great option would be to purchase Tomcat's PB kit: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193338

At that price your getting a great deal and can vouch for Tom. Keep teh boot for future reference or to play around with, but it's not worth trying to work out the bugs on any system.

Thanks for the mention Arfink, glad to hear it arrived. Sorry the case was garbage but hopefully the supergun your working on for your buddy will have a cart to play around with. lol, yeah I dug those capcom eproms as well, very funny.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
random: try clearing your backup RAM on your mvs and run it to see if it stops resetting.

the.bet

Kula's Candy
15 Year Member
What do you mean?

random: try clearing your backup RAM on your mvs and run it to see if it stops resetting.

Back up ram,

Is that somthign on a mvs cab or a consolized unit...if so I am out of luck bacuse I am playing on a phantom 1 converter.

Am I overlooking somthing?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Apparently in some arcade operator circles it was well known that power spikes was a good puzzle bobble sac cart, and operators would simply grab eproms and make their own duplicates.
This isn't right. Power Spikes II chips were used by the manufacturer to make legit carts. The Power Spikes II link has nothing to do with bootlegging.

The above PB cart is a boot.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I popped my puzzle bobble today and its basicly the same boot/conversion as the OP.

The 2nd board was previously AOF. Its hard to say what the 1st board was from as there are a number of games that have that layout.

-ack