PS4 can't play audio CD's?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
og ps1 was best cd player anyway. still is.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
no one uses the original sega cd to play audio cd's?... :spock:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
no one uses the original sega cd to play audio cd's?... :spock:

I remember using that argument to try to convince my dad to get me a Sega CD when I was 9 or 10. Now I just walk the streets with my CDX.

fake

15 Year Member
Needs more pioneer feet.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I just wanted something to play a thrift store find (Cheeseheads with Attitude) while I was working on my computer.
Neither the PS4 or Wii u would play a CD.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
the original ps1 is not THAT good. it's good comparatively to cd drives laying around.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I always liked how the Sega Saturn made my CDs sound. The Dreamcast was essentially my second CD player, and it didn't sound as good in my opinion. Interestingly, playing games with rockin' soundtracks like Worldwide Soccer or Sega Rally through the SSF emulator on PC sounds about as good as the Saturn. I'm thinking about booting up the Saturn BIOS and playing regular music CDs through the BIOS in the SSF emulator on my PC.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
My thoughts exactly. Next thing you know they'll take out dvd support and ps1 backwards comparability.

They'll never be able to take away backwards comparability, and they shouldn't even want to. Backwards comparability is how you point out improved graphics and sound.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Did they ever sort out the laser issues with the gen 1 ps1? Overheating I believe was the problem (I had one die from such).
How do people keep the audiophile ps1's going now and avoid the excess heating problem?

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Did they ever sort out the laser issues with the gen 1 ps1? Overheating I believe was the problem (I had one die from such).
How do people keep the audiophile ps1's going now and avoid the excess heating problem?

I thought the problem was less with the laser and more the fact that all the vents are on the bottom and heat got trapped inside the console for it to get so hot that it warped optical drive components.

Hot air rises. Duh, Sony. Even the N64 had vents on the top.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,

The later models of the OG PSXs fixed this issue. I have mine and it still works great.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You can buy new lasers pretty cheap, I've fixed several.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Man, my first CD player was a Panasonic 3DO. It had this sweet psychedelic morphing screen that went trippy as you jammed out. Also wtf you're right...PS4 doesn't play CDs. I thought this thing was supposed to be a multimedia machine. Hey it still plays DVDs though!

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm pretty partial to the PS3's CD/audio player.

Hell, the PS3 is a DLNA media server powerhouse and the bluetooth remote is godly. Put's the 360's clunky media server capabilities to shame.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The PS3 is far, far greater than the PS4 for any kind of media. I don't even play blus in the PS4, the PS3 even does that better.

I'm up in the "Sega CD was my first cd player" club as well.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Your computer doesn't have a CD/DVD drive?

Yeah, I have a detachable that I had been borrowing from work. But It was in my backpack.

My PS3 was my HTPC. But now, I can't say the same about the PSfour being that it doesn't play CD's.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
The PS3 is far, far greater than the PS4 for any kind of media. I don't even play blus in the PS4, the PS3 even does that better.

I would tend to agree, but I don't wanna wear out my original fat by playing anything else besides PS3 games. The power button is already going; it looks cool, but they should have used a simpler button.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
You can buy new lasers pretty cheap, I've fixed several.

what really?! I was looking for a bunch of replacements a few years ago and the prices were about or more then the actual console.

albeit on ebay. where is this mystical place you speak of?