Project Neon - possible neogeo shmup in the works

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Damn, I thought this was a new thread.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I've been pretty interested. Unfortunately like probably most of you, I missed out on the initial pre-order:

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
$450 is still quite a hefty price. Homebrew Neo Geo carts have only been going up lately.

Project Neon also looks like it's designed to use less memory, but not sure how much that matters for the price these days, with new PCB's from China and cheap memory.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
$450 is still quite a hefty price. Homebrew Neo Geo carts have only been going up lately.

Project Neon also looks like it's designed to use less memory, but not sure how much that matters for the price these days, with new PCB's from China and cheap memory.
Let's be real here, I don't think the prices on Neo homebrews were ever a matter of manufacturing price, at least not for the stuff that came out post-2010 being generous. And hey, I don't blame them, there's not many other places where you can get $10000 for selling 20 copies of your indie game.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
If you're selling a few hundred carts, there probably isn't a reasonable amount you could charge that would actually get you a decent return on your time investment creating a game. It has to be a labor of love. So I don't know how they come up with these prices. When you consider the $100 price difference between Standard and Collector's editions, then it's obvious you're paying a premium for this stuff.

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
You're just making this to make a neo geo game. Even if you manufacture hype with carts and cart prices, but end up selling roms/mobile ports; that's still a legitimate part of releasing a game on this platform. Frankly it's just nice to see someone able to apparently see a project through. Feels like there's one guy behind it, and several people invovled in various capacities? It's entirely possible the only people making money could be those contracted to do work up to this point... with a dice roll that someone behind it basically only makes their money back +/- a bit if it actually sells...

If somehow they make 100k or something, good on them - in these post-nft-commentator-creator days if anyone gets some money it'd be nice if it's someone who actually made a game and gave people a thing.

From my perspective; it'll be more interesting to see if this is it for them, or if they fancy making another game.

Johnny16Bit

Galford's Armourer

I think you may just as well consider memory space doesn't matter indeed. :)
Unless maybe they have their own PCB design, but I wouldn't bet on it!

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Let's be real here, I don't think the prices on Neo homebrews were ever a matter of manufacturing price, at least not for the stuff that came out post-2010 being generous. And hey, I don't blame them, there's not many other places where you can get $10000 for selling 20 copies of your indie game.
Yeah but $10,000 gross for a game you worked on it literally less than making minimum wage and yet im sure people will shit on the price saying the game isnt up to neo standard. Hell even when stuff is exceptional like ngdev team people complain about cost.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
I still don’t understand going through all the trouble to create such a product and then only sell a handful of carts and cutting sales off when people still have money in hand. Taking a page out of the Supreme book perhaps? Whatever the reason it’s lame.

Neo Alec

20 Year Member
I still don’t understand going through all the trouble to create such a product and then only sell a handful of carts and cutting sales off when people still have money in hand. Taking a page out of the Supreme book perhaps? Whatever the reason it’s lame.
Are you talking about Project Neon? I inquired with them, and they said they're going to open more preorders.

I'm sure gauging demand and figuring out how many to produce is not easy.

The Chief

U.N. Apologist,
20 Year Member
Are you talking about Project Neon? I inquired with them, and they said they're going to open more preorders.

I'm sure gauging demand and figuring out how many to produce is not easy.
Yeah, I guess my issue is why shut orders off before it’s been released? If people keep preordering it helps with cash flow. It’s no different with NG Dev Team.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
If you're selling a few hundred carts, there probably isn't a reasonable amount you could charge that would actually get you a decent return on your time investment creating a game. It has to be a labor of love. So I don't know how they come up with these prices. When you consider the $100 price difference between Standard and Collector's editions, then it's obvious you're paying a premium for this stuff.
Again I'm not against people making money with this stuff -- and there's a very clear engineering and production overhead with actual carts, especially post-covid which is not a joke to handle. The prices are within what's expected from the market and the collector's edition premium is a half full/half empty cup thing: you can definitely be mad at them for being cashgrabby with a collectard item, or you can be thankful they have a cheaper version vs. a more expensive one for some people to support them further. I'm definitely on the latter train of thought with Neo stuff even if I'm usually outpriced by it (the $150 cd thing is a whole other can of worms and I already said my piece in the other thread)

KGRAMR

Another Striker
I remember learning about this Project several years ago, when i hear that it was inspired by the underrated Toaplan shooter Dogyuun. When is this coming out, may i ask?

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
The prices in AUD threw me off. Looks like it's priced the same as pretty much every other Neo indie/homebrew game. Any word on whether they'll eventually sell roms?

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Looks a lot better than any of the turds NGDEV pooped out.

No neo geo CD version?

HellioN

, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Good for them.
I'd rather spend that kind of money on a "real" NEO•GEO game though.

Ukyo

20 Year Member
was wondering what happened to this; gameplay looks solid. I'll bite.

NeoSeeD

n00b
Looks a lot better than any of the turds NGDEV pooped out.

No neo geo CD version?
They released a demo of the game on CD, but unfortunately they seem to have no intention of actually releasing the full game on CD.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
They released a demo of the game on CD, but unfortunately they seem to have no intention of actually releasing the full game on CD.
Shame. Still the homecart isn't badly priced... and the game actually looks like a 90s arcade game... anyone played the demo? I hear it's a homage to Dogyuun... I certainly see the Toaplan influences in the videos.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Shame. Still the homecart isn't badly priced... and the game actually looks like a 90s arcade game... anyone played the demo? I hear it's a homage to Dogyuun... I certainly see the Toaplan influences in the videos.
I was hoping for a CD version too, ah well. The price of the homecart looks okay but somehow I just don't want to spend that much on a homebrew game. That doesn't mean home-made games would be bad per se, there are a lot of very talented people out there, after all. It's just that a homebrew and a price of several hundred bucks does not go together very well for me.