Progear - if you haven't played this game...do it or something already!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Its THE horizontal shooter. Granted I still kind of suck at it and I doubt I'll ever 1CC the game, but that doesn't take away from my love of the experience. I'd say this is CAVE's best horizontal shmup (better than Deathsmiles) and 100% the best shmup on CPS 2....although I do love some Mars Matrix too!

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Horis aren’t my favorite, and ProGear is fun...but man, the jawn? The top shelf hori ever...in my book, is DownLoad2 on PCE.

I’d love to see your video treatment of that one. Your vids are great!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've fucking loved Progear ever since a local place randomly put it in one of their cabs years ago. It's one of the primary reasons I got the CPS2 multi since it never got ported to anything else.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I've fucking loved Progear ever since a local place randomly put it in one of their cabs years ago. It's one of the primary reasons I got the CPS2 multi since it never got ported to anything else.

It's so weird it never got a port. Too new for DC and maybe too old for PS2? It's hard to understand how it never came home

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It's so weird it never got a port. Too new for DC and maybe too old for PS2? It's hard to understand how it never came home

Timing and capcom/cave. One won't relinquish rights to the other.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Its THE horizontal shooter. Granted I still kind of suck at it and I doubt I'll ever 1CC the game, but that doesn't take away from my love of the experience. I'd say this is CAVE's best horizontal shmup (better than Deathsmiles) and 100% the best shmup on CPS 2....although I do love some Mars Matrix too!

If you suck, it likely means you don't know how to play it. So what makes you the authority on what CAVE's "best" is? Hmmm

"Love of the experience? "

Far, out brother. Are we talking arcade games, or are we talking radical free love, brother?

Last time I checked, Progear wasn't from the 60's maaaannnnnnn

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
If you suck, it likely means you don't know how to play it. So what makes you the authority on what CAVE's "best" is? Hmmm

"Love of the experience? "

Far, out brother. Are we talking arcade games, or are we talking radical free love, brother?

Last time I checked, Progear wasn't from the 60's maaaannnnnnn[/

Lol maybe I just suck at it? I know how to drive but I can’t win Formula 1, and I know how to play Progear but I still won’t 1CC it. It’s just called subjectivity

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I have to plug this back in. I can get to the mid boss in the final stage. I love the art and design of Prograr and I think RaDe is the only cave shmup whose art I like more. Should’ve been on DC along with RaDe and Guwange.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
would like to get my hands on a legit CPS2 board - but Progear seems to have skyrocketed in price...

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
Is there a reason why you let all the “metals” fall? If you let off the fire they’ll come to you?

fake

15 Year Member
would like to get my hands on a legit CPS2 board - but Progear seems to have skyrocketed in price...

Yeah, it's ridiculous. I ended up just having a member here make me a boot from a SF Zero board.

Is there a reason why you let all the “metals” fall? If you let off the fire they’ll come to you?

You want to eat them up, AFAIK. There isn't much rank management.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
This game seems like a no brainer for Steam; but then again I don't understand why all cave shooters aren't on Steam.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Yes. I suck at shmups when I am capturing due to lag. It's the worst genre of games to play for my setup. I need to work on a new method. Also I forgot at points. My brain is kind of churning what I want to say while I play, so when I get my mic setup the thoughts are fresh in my head.

fake

15 Year Member
Yes. I suck at shmups when I am capturing due to lag. It's the worst genre of games to play for my setup. I need to work on a new method. Also I forgot at points. My brain is kind of churning what I want to say while I play, so when I get my mic setup the thoughts are fresh in my head.

You comment while you play? Why not do a voiceover after the fact?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
You comment while you play? Why not do a voiceover after the fact?

No I record after but I mutter to myself while playing lol. Kind of start my thought process.

I won’t own an OSSC. I need to grab one to be honest. Framemeister is great but I need a second option

shadowsfollow

New Challenger
October 2019 in a forum dedicated to Neo Geo...if you haven’t played Progear or at least heard of it, you need to revaluate yourself or at the very least consider what you’re doing here.

fake

15 Year Member
October 2019 in a forum dedicated to Neo Geo...if you haven’t played Progear or at least heard of it, you need to revaluate yourself or at the very least consider what you’re doing here.

wutt

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

LEARN TO RIDE WITH THE WOLF PACK BROTHERRR AROOOOOO

2019 AND YOU DON'T KNOW PROGEAR THEN IT'S TIME TO DIE ALONE IN THE WINTER SNOW AROOOOO

NEO-GEO WOLF PACK PROGEAR APPRECIATION CLUB 2019 AROOOOOOOO

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

We don’t talk about soft ass cps2 shit here, n00b.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member

(yeah that was my first reaction when I saw this thread)
If you guys haven't heard of it or played it I highly suggest Metal SlugsX!!!!

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
(yeah that was my first reaction when I saw this thread)
If you guys haven't heard of it or played it I highly suggest Metal SlugsX!!!!

Yeah I've never owned this board but frequently play a few levels of it on teh romboxes.

Not sure the price has skyrocketed, it's always been a $200-300+ game even 20 years ago.

(doublepost)

Last edited: