Problems with EM pinball.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Have a King Rex table that has been down completely for a few months. I just got it working again, but after the points reset and the game is suposedly active, points aren't registered, and the flippers don't work. I don't have a schematic for this table, so any help on where I should focus would be appreciated.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Have a King Rex table that has been down completely for a few months. I just got it working again, but after the points reset and the game is suposedly active, points aren't registered, and the flippers don't work. I don't have a schematic for this table, so any help on where I should focus would be appreciated.

I just keep going over the connections,,they corrode..

Pin in plugs I pull out and clean..

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
EVERY relay and switch point contact must be cleaned and in good working order.

Test EVERY fuse and measure every power line out from the power supply.

Check EVERY relay coil and solenoid coil for browning or other signs of heat damage.

Check every fuse holder for corrosion...

Inspect every wire connection for breaks where it solders

That fixes most.

Oh, and while you're in there, replace any burnt bulbs.

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Well, I can atleast eliminate the fuse panel, I just put a new one in because of contact issues. I'll have to look into the connections in the far end of the playing field, sure the ones up front are fine.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
check the continuity on the fuse holders once the fuse is in.

In the Header(open the back panel)..there will be 2-3 Pin plug wires coming from the base..unplug them and clean those connections...be carefull as the wires are just so old and can pop off the solder.,..

My dads Aztek EM acts up from time to time..it's usually some switch that is not making good enough contact..carbon build up..We've spend hours doing condinuity tests on all the switches and checking what solenoid does what.
Everythings gotta work in a sequence,if one switch isn't working the whole machine will go nuts.

I have a switch on my machine for free play..but if the start game,player button is pressed too many times(baby) my machine will go nuts(1976 Hangglider EM)..I have to play through all the games and finally the machine will score right.
I set it to coin in...but the solenoid on the coin doors pin connector wasn't making good contact to throw the bar accross in the coin door to accept coin..I had to clean the pins..

Make sure none of other slam switch/tilt switches aren't on-touching..they will kill the flippers and scoring like as if the machine is tilted.

I was told once by a Pinball machine repairman that,the trick to EMs is to play them alot to keep them going.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
EVERY relay and switch point contact must be cleaned and in good working order.

Test EVERY fuse and measure every power line out from the power supply.

Check EVERY relay coil and solenoid coil for browning or other signs of heat damage.

Check every fuse holder for corrosion...

Inspect every wire connection for breaks where it solders

That fixes most.

Oh, and while you're in there, replace any burnt bulbs.

:buttrock:

FairlanePhantom

Mai's Apprentice
Almost made progress. Cleaned a few sets of pin connections and the flippers worked until the first target, then everything stopped again. I cleaned them more and now nothing works but the lights again. How annoying.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Almost made progress. Cleaned a few sets of pin connections and the flippers worked until the first target, then everything stopped again. I cleaned them more and now nothing works but the lights again. How annoying.

Ohh ho..the EM machines can be very headaching..man have I been there..

I'd say if you made some progress there keep cleaning things and try to go from where it stopped working again...

Take the pin connectors in and out..I've had to put them in crooked to get them to make contact sometimes.