Post Your Recent Purchases!

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Because they’re beautiful, magical and relics of an era gone by.
lol, they're heavy, power hungry and no one fixes them anymore. So the choice of the word "relic", is most apt!

I'd like to meet someone who uses a crt because they think it is asthetically superior to a modern flat panel, but uses it to play videogames on it. Just so I can say to my wife I've met someone stupider than my eldest sister.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Everytime I see one of you write CRT, I get disappointed that you're not talking about CTR (Crash Team Racing).
Plastic boobs are plastic boobs, but, some are squishy.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
From my very personal experience, if you're not planning to use it for local multiplayer (like a Bomberman tournament), the ideal size of a gaming CRT is between 14" and 20". Anything above that has usually picture geometry issues, and the scanlines almost become a nuisance instead of a plus. Also, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but PVMs are a little bit overrated: any good arcade CRT with a Philips tube (or Toshiba, or some other excellent manufacturer) will take you to gaming heaven.
Sony Trinitron or Super Trinitron, not WEGA, are probably the best. 21"-25" I'd say. 21" is particularly on the CRT top spot imho. :-)

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
Nooooo..Too heavy to chance it..it's got some serious weight to it so I need to be at least 75% sure that bad boy will give me something.
This one took on some serious water before I happened on it.
BB
@BIG BEAR, you got PM.

Jon

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I can't wait till my Trinitron finally dies so I can junk it. It's a giant eyesore and it rarely gets used, I usually end up just hooking up old consoles to my Bravia with a Retrotink. It's fine.

Don't even get me started on all the hoops people jump through to use RGB in N. America. Fuck that noise.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I can't wait till my Trinitron finally dies so I can junk it. It's a giant eyesore and it rarely gets used, I usually end up just hooking up old consoles to my Bravia with a Retrotink. It's fine.

Don't even get me started on all the hoops people jump through to use RGB in N. America. Fuck that noise.
Scart cable and retrotink is my main way for RGB in N America. Hoops, nah.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Scart cable and retrotink is my main way for RGB in N America. Hoops, nah.
We're in the minority though. More often than not I see guys that have cables going to multiple different converters and then to switch boxes. It seems a lot of CRT fans are preoccupied with fucking around with gear than actually playing anything.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
We're in the minority though. More often than not I see guys that have cables going to multiple different converters and then to switch boxes. It seems a lot of CRT fans are preoccupied with fucking around with gear than actually playing anything.
I honestly enjoy s-video even though I have the capabilities of rgb/component…no chasing dragons here. Growing up on RF, it can only get better…

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I sold my Japanese converters with hundreds of ways to tweak the picture a couple years back. I still have a slightly broken OSSC, almost ripped out the headphone jack, but that's rarely used.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I honestly enjoy s-video even though I have the capabilities of rgb/component…no chasing dragons here. Growing up on RF, it can only get better…
My last bit of console kit, an ASCII s-vid box straight from NCSX fits the bill.
I used to have all the 21 Pin and DTerm and my living room looked like a science lab.

I sold all that shit on here, years ago.

I went through a similar deal w/ drums.

Less is more.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
lol, they're heavy, power hungry and no one fixes them anymore. So the choice of the word "relic", is most apt!

I'd like to meet someone who uses a crt because they think it is asthetically superior to a modern flat panel, but uses it to play videogames on it. Just so I can say to my wife I've met someone stupider than my eldest sister.In my previous experince, CRTs did seem to give soeting special to certain ofmy arcade games, even making abig difference in some cases.

In my past experience, a CRT version of the display for at least some of my arcade games seemed to make a real difference, given the limitations of what signals were available. Hell, some games even had a special quality about them that my flatscreen just didn't replicate.

However, I recently picked up one of the newer upscaler/signal converter solutions with rather good preset picture adjustments and...I have to admit that, this time around, I was hard pressed to spot a positive difference between the CRT version of how games displayed and the flatscreen version. My Neo in particular looked maybe even a bit better on the flatscreen, especially in terms of color, and with perfectly good scanlines too.

This felt liberating, in some ways, but also kind of sad, like the end of an era. Oh well.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I still own a Wega. Keep it in the Shed. The only reason I kept it around is for the Neo which I hardly play anymore. That's the only retro console I own.

Newer tv's have a excellent picture so with the help of whatever special cable or upscaler you could get your retro consoles to look nice on a newer TV. My problem was always lag. Lag would kill the whole experience for me. Games I would breeze through on a crt, I would now have a harder time on a newer TV. I hated fiddling around with upscalers and what not. Sometimes when I changed console I would have to spend time dialing in the settings on the upscaler so the picture looked good and the shit wasn't off. So when I did own a bunch of retro consoles having a crt around was a must.

Thankfully the Mister came out and solved that problem. When I feel like enjoying some of the classics I just power it up and play.

Fuckin Kernow.

yagamikun

Art of Typing Wiz
20 Year Member
A draw to CRTs for many folks isn't picture quality or "scanlines," it's the elimination of input lag. My two modern displays both have ~10 and ~7ms of lag respectively in game mode. Outside of game mode, though, there's over ~20ms of lag, which can and does impact gameplay. With game mode on, though, it's very hard to notice anything unless you're super familiar with playing a particular title on a CRT with 0 input latency.

For highly precise genres like shumps (especially bullet hell), a good CRT is worth its weight in gold from a performance perspective.

That said, while my PVM isn't my main gaming display (that's my modern LG QNED running with a Retrotink 2X), there are some games I do prefer playing on it (or an arcade monitor).

At least this thread hasn't devolved into people defending VHS picture quality...

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I despise big ass 30kg crts with a passion but I will keep my 14 inch Sony CRT until it craps out. Just pluging shit into the composite in and having the game look good is "liberating" like the word people are throwing around here. No dicking around RGB cables, upscalers, dumbass 'smart' TVs that insist on applying enhancements, etc., just plug yellow lead and play. No lag is a bonus but not that big of a deal these days IMO (motion blur might be a better excuse for tubes nowadays).

Yes you have dot crawling and red color leakage with composite but if you compare the signal on a LCD to a CRTs it goes from absolutely egregious to fine. If I want 100% clean video from my consoles I still have my cables and upscalers in a box, and a huge ass LCD TV for it.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
A draw to CRTs for many folks isn't picture quality or "scanlines," it's the elimination of input lag. My two modern displays both have ~10 and ~7ms of lag respectively in game mode. Outside of game mode, though, there's over ~20ms of lag, which can and does impact gameplay. With game mode on, though, it's very hard to notice anything unless you're super familiar with playing a particular title on a CRT with 0 input latency.

For highly precise genres like shumps (especially bullet hell), a good CRT is worth its weight in gold from a performance perspective.
I completely agree. I'd still say that a CRT, being the same type of display that was used by the graphic artists back then, has also the edge on the visual department (it's not even a matter of quality, is that everyhing looks the way it's supposed to look). But the main draw for me is still the input lag, and I'm not even a shmup fanatic... when I play Neo Turf Masters on anything but a real Neo (or Mister) + arcade CRT, the lag is absolutely jarring.