Post a Pic of your CMVS, AES or Neo CD............

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Xian Xi said:
You install it inline of your power line. I would rather burn a fuse than fry a board that I spent hours doing and having to redo it if there is ever a surge that can fry the board.

The fuse holder is about $1-2 and the fuses are about 30 cents each.

Thanks!

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Hey, about those aluminum cases like the one used by Xian and the Southtown Homebrew proto — I have sent all the equipment used to make them to Jeff Kurtz. If you need cases like that, contact him. Sorry Xian, I forgot to tell anybody. I'm not saying Jeff *wants* to make the cases, but he may. You'll have to talk to him.

I think I'm out of the business for good.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
loopyeddie said:
I think I'm out of the business for good.

WHAT?!?! Did Michael Angelo ever retire? You're gay for saying that. Hahaha jus kidding bro.

Good luck on you new ventures dude.

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Xian Xi said:
WHAT?!?! Did Michael Angelo ever retire? You're gay for saying that. Hahaha jus kidding bro.

Good luck on you new ventures dude.

Fuck, my problem is that they are fucking boring and tedious to make. I don't mind doing new projects, but the same shit over and over is not for me. I'm actually making one right now, but it is way different than any I have built before and it is a gift. Making shit for money is for the sweatshop kids.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
loopyeddie said:
Fuck, my problem is that they are fucking boring and tedious to make. I don't mind doing new projects, but the same shit over and over is not for me.

I know exactly what you mean, I think my 2nd may be my last. Even if someone offered $800 for me to make another one I wouldn't be really motivated to do it.

loopyeddie said:
I'm actually making one right now, but it is way different than any I have built before and it is a gift.

Sweet. Any preview shots?

loopyeddie

Ukyo's Doctor
Xian Xi said:
Sweet. Any preview shots?

Nothing yet, it isn't any big secret though. It is for The Advantage, the band that does all the NES cover songs. It is a MV-1C in a NES shell. Sounds pretty simple, but trust me —it is not. The only other CMVS I've spent more time on is the green 4 slot. I still have a ton more work to do, but I'll post pictures when it is done.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
loopyeddie said:
Nothing yet, it isn't any big secret though. It is for The Advantage, the band that does all the NES cover songs. It is a MV-1C in a NES shell. Sounds pretty simple, but trust me —it is not. The only other CMVS I've spent more time on is the green 4 slot. I still have a ton more work to do, but I'll post pictures when it is done.

Sounds cool. Sounds tough too, but you got the skills to pull it off dude. The advantage is cool as well.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
I recently added an inline fuse to my CMVS which should have been done a long time ago. Thank god nothing happened before I did.

LOL you added a fuse to a board that already has one built-in?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MKL said:
LOL you added a fuse to a board that already has one built-in?

Just because a board has a fuse doesnt mean other things cant happen. If there is any arching before the fuse, what good will that fuse do?

The best place for a fuse is right near the entry of the current, not after it hits the board.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Being overly concerned about fuses is typical of noobs. With overcurrent protections built-in in modern power supplies fuses are pretty much useless but of course use them if it makes you feel like a pro on teh intarweb. I would be curious to know the rating you've choosen since it only makes sense to use one that is rated just above the actual load. Oh and going by your logic you would need another fuse to protect the the RGB encoder since that has a current draw definitely smaller than the arcade PCB. Aren't you afraid it will blow up?

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
xbox.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
MKL said:
Being overly concerned about fuses is typical of noobs. With overcurrent protections built-in in modern power supplies fuses are pretty much useless but of course use them if it makes you feel like a pro on teh intarweb. I would be curious to know the rating you've choosen since it only makes sense to use one that is rated just above the actual load. Oh and going by your logic you would need another fuse to protect the the RGB encoder since that has a current draw definitely smaller than the arcade PCB. Aren't you afraid it will blow up?

I have seen cases with fuses not blowing fast enough first hand, we lost our entire PBX network because of a fuse not blowing fast enough, the inline is only an added safety measure to my CMVS and ease of my mind. I spent too much time on this thing to even risk it frying because I relied on just 1 fuse.

For the inline I used a 2 amp fuse.

If you think its n00b then thats what you think but I did it because I wanted to do it to MY CMVS. To each his own.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention one of the main reasons for an inline was convenience as it is a bitch to get this board out of the enclosure. Changing the inline would take me only 1 minute as to changing the on-board fuse would take me at least 45 minutes since I would have to desolder a bunch of stuff and then I have to carefully slide the board out without having anything snag.

It's a very tight fit. My Unibios is actually flush against the roof of the enclosure.

Last edited:

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Xian Xi said:
I still love that 4 slot loopy did.

Does anyone have a consolized 6 slot other than Gummy?

I built one at the end of 2003. It was a monster :) It's pictured on my website.

Kpj

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Kpj said:
I built one at the end of 2003. It was a monster :) It's pictured on my website.

Kpj

Here's an idea I made based off a 2 slot you were selling. I dubbed it Black Steel.

345507754_b507332304.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Kpj said:

Kpj

Did you add those vents to the cover or does it come like that?

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Xian Xi said:
Here's an idea I made based off a 2 slot you were selling. I dubbed it Black Steel.

345507754_b507332304.jpg
I love the look of that system. Very cool! I'll keep that in mind if/when I jump up to a 4 or 6 slot CMVS.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Xian Xi said:
Did you add those vents to the cover or does it come like that?

The cover has/had those from the factory, first & only one I've ever seen like this.

Kpj

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Check out Xian Xi's albums.

The awesomeness has only grown!

kingbuzzo

Zero's Secretary
thank you. I'm quite happy with it. Couldn't have done it without the help of you and the rest of the cool kids here.