Polymega system claims to now run neo geo cd games with faster load times

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
These devices, their makers, and the people who preorder them often tend to follow the same trend. Many exciting ideas are presented, people get pumped, design commences, money is taken, delays set in, flaws are visible, etc etc and THEN people start to wonder, “Do I really want to this?”, “How is it better than a cheap Windows machine devoted to the purpose?” and “How did it get so expensive?” “Should I just flip this to some other shithead when and if it arrives?”

In the end I always end up using real shit or plugging a USB version of whatever I want to play into a basic ass-PC or Mac. If what I see and hear is good and what I’m touching is good…why do I care about all the other bullshit? This FPGA craze has not turned out to be worth it in the majority of cases, IMHO.
The polymega isn't even fpga you autistic ass helmet.
Also i am fucking positive you are saying fpga isnt worth it and you have never even played a mini nt noir, mega sg, or super nt. As usual spouting opinions no one wants to hear about shit you have incorrect information on.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Did this thing ever actually come out?

Yes, but very limited. "supply issues" [roll eyes]

This new app is interesting though, sounds like you could play PCE CD games using a CD-ROM and your original games, which would be badass.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
This new app is interesting though, sounds like you could play PCE CD games using a CD-ROM and your original games, which would be badass.
I have a question and I swear I'm not sarcastic (I'd really like to understand this Polymega thing): if it's just an emulator that rips your original PCE CD "on the fly" and then plays it, isn't it just like using a rom, but needlessly more complicated? I mean, to me it all sounds like playing pretend. Same doubt for carts, of course.

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
I have a question and I swear I'm not sarcastic (I'd really like to understand this Polymega thing): if it's just an emulator that rips your original PCE CD "on the fly" and then plays it, isn't it just like using a rom, but needlessly more complicated? I mean, to me it all sounds like playing pretend.
ALL emulation, hardware or software is "playing pretend". The idea of using your OG games is the hook. We've always been able to load "teh romz"

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
ALL emulation, hardware or software is "playing pretend". The idea of using your OG games is the hook. We've always been able to load "teh romz"
Okay, but - stretching the concept a bit - then you could put your original PCE CD in a toaster and imagine it's being read. If it needs to convert the CDs into something else to play them... it's playing something else, not your CDs. I can understand the appeal of an FPGA machine that directly reads the disc, for example, 'cause it might ensure you get an experience that's 100% faithful to the original (loading times and such).

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

20 Year Member
Okay, but - stretching the concept a bit - then you could put your original PCE CD in a toaster and imagine it's being read. If it needs to convert the CDs into something else to play them... it's playing something else, not your CDs. I can understand the appeal of an FPGA machine that directly reads the disc, for example, 'cause it might ensure an experience that 100% faithful to the original (loading times and such).

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It’s not about being more hardcore or not, it’s about being real.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Yes, but very limited. "supply issues" [roll eyes]

This is exactly what the earliest PCE CD emulator did. I dont remember the name, but it was one of the few paid emulators in the 90's.
Look how far we've come.. lol

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
I agree that it’s kinda dunkus to buy into the idea of ripping your own ROMs. You’re still playing a ROM and ideally one %100 identical to one you’ve download. There’s no laser moving around when you play the game so you have to invent fake seek times…it’s best to just play the stuff off a Wii shop or whatever, honestly. Less pretend.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So, this Polymega does for disc based games what a modded original Xbox does…for $800 bucks, instead of $80? And then Yobo-tier ‘modules’ for carts/cards of various systems?

Fuck this hobby.

The meteorites can’t fall fast enough.
You forgot that the Yobo modules cost about as much as the actual real system they replace when they are basically just cart slot adapters.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
You forgot that the Yobo modules cost about as much as the actual real system they replace when they are basically just cart slot adapters.

…that don’t really play carts, they just dump them all at once, giving you…the exact same ROM we’ve all had on our hard drives for literally decades. It’s a total circle jerk of redundancy.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I wish they made a sleeker version with just the CD ROM that plays only the disc based retro shit.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
May this be the year of PolyPoonPosts